News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

8 3/4 Rear Differential - Correct Colours

Started by Shakey, March 09, 2006, 09:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

I am completely rebuilding my rear differential housing and I am interested in knowing the correct colours / finishes for the items that are included in the assembly.

After searching I have learned that the backing plates are supposed to be zinc phosphate, the drums could be primer red or black and the shock mounting pads are gloss black.

Can anyone tell me what the correct colours are for the items depicted in the attached photos?

Chryco Psycho

as far as I know the carrier is natural cast iron
the sunbber I believe is black

hemihead

Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

resq302

I was always led to believe that the backing plates were semi gloss black and not zinc. ???
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Shakey

Quote from: resq302 on March 10, 2006, 10:46:33 AM
I was always led to believe that the backing plates were semi gloss black and not zinc. ???

There was a link on here to 69HEMI's site that had an article scanned from a magazine a few years back that stated they were zinc phosphate.

I was going by that.  I think zinc phosphate is like charcoal gray but I am not 100% sure.

John_Kunkel

Some third member housings were finished in red oxide.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Looking at your case you can see traces of orange paint.

Not too sure about 69 & older but 70 & newer had a paint coding system for gear ratios, sure-grip & size of yoke/u-joint

On my case I painted it cast iron color.

On the bottom I painted 3 white daubs & 1 orange daub of paint.

This denotes a 3.55:1 ratio with the large 7290 joint and a Sure-Grip

There is to be an orange daub of paint on the filler plug as well to show it is Sure-Grip equipped.

The backing plates I have seen either semi gloss black or the black zinc phosphate.
The housing itself I have seen semi gloss (30%) black
Chris' '69 Charger R/T