News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I just found a Unicorn (68 R/T 4-speed with factory air)....

Started by Dans 68, March 09, 2014, 02:06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB14404SPD

I did my best attempt. Thanks for the corrections.

BB14404SPD

6bblgt

There was no "TRACK PAK" (marketing/sales gimmick catch phrase) OPTION until the '69 model year.

If the NO COST 4-speed transmission was selected on the order form for a '68 Charger R/T (GTX & Coronet R/T also), the required "performance axle" (3.54 DANA) was added to the order.
The ONLY DANA 60 axle available in a factory B-body street car 1966-'68 was 3.54:1 & it was 4-speed ONLY (HEMI & 440HP ONLY also).

BB14404SPD

6bblgt

BB14404SPD

6bblgt

I have seen hundreds that way & many others with FORD 9" - they did not come that way 46 years ago.

BB14404SPD

I still keep in touch with the original owner. I will ask if it was changed.

6bblgt

Ask him how long the black painted wheels and "dog dish" hub caps stayed on the car.  What kind of "MAGS" took their place?

Ghoste

That GTX you linked to also states clearly "NEW differential and driveline".

Ghoste

Also worth mentioning that when these cars were assembled, the largely completed body was lowered onto the largely completed drivetrain.  The engine, transmission, driveshaft and rear axle were put together as a sub assembly so this isn't like Jimmy John was hungover so he grabbed the wrong radio and put it in the dash or they were supposed to put chrome door button handles on but there 85 black button ones still in stock and the department head said use them or the stock department was slow bringing tire change decals to the line and the foreman knew there was NO WAY he was shutting the line down for something like that.
The engineering sign off said Dana's go behind four speed 440 or Hemi engines.  This is something EASILY seen in the sub assembly area with a number of QC stops AND sign offs before the drivetrain was ever sent to the main line.  COULD it have happened?  Yes but the chances against it are huge!

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Ghoste on September 27, 2014, 07:53:16 AM

The engineering sign off said Dana's go behind four speed 440 or Hemi engines.  This is something EASILY seen in the sub assembly area with a number of QC stops AND sign offs before the drivetrain was ever sent to the main line.  COULD it have happened?  Yes but the chances against it are huge!

And the same goes with any other sub-assembly in the car. The chances of getting a 440 or hemi 4-speed car without a Dana are as good as getting a 318 car with Dana.

Cncguy

Quote from: BB14404SPD on September 26, 2014, 11:05:05 PM
I still keep in touch with the original owner. I will ask if it was changed.

Look at the bright side. Putting it back to a Dana will be awesome.

crj1968

Quote from: 6bblgt on September 26, 2014, 11:00:31 PM
I have seen hundreds that way & many others with FORD 9" - they did not come that way 46 years ago.

Yup

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

JamieZ

Ad was updated:

On Oct-25-14 at 07:45:01 PDT, seller added the following information:
1968 red and white Charger R/T,factory air and 4 speed car (have compressor but not installed)original floors, quarters, trunk,hood, motor is a 69 440 and 4 speed trans with new correct hurst shifter and linkage (professionally rebuilt w/ new valve train),new vinyl top,new weatherstripping,interior,bumpers,new gas tank and filler tube,front disc brakes,new rims wrapped in cooper cobra tires,new2.5 in exhaust with correct hp manifolds,solid ,very pretty car .1000.00 dollar nonrefundable deposit due upon auctions end.balance due in 7 days .buyer is responsible for shipping.

Depending on how you read it, both the engine and trans may be from a 69.

Ghoste

BROCK

Very interesting read :popcrn:

The machine that originally produced the fender tags is (was) not so uncommon.  Our old church back in the day had 1.  The resulting 'tags' were placed in another machine that used them to address the weekly newsletters that went out to church members.  This was on up into the early 80s at a church a 1000 strong (membership - not attendance) in a town of 70,000.  That machine is out there in numbers.

A typo on a fendertag is not uncommon.  I have an old pic of a 300H with Hemi & AC (not an aftermarket Sanderson unit either).  So, I always thought that with the right connections & money you really could have it your way.  Now, I believe that as much as I believe there really were 3 70 Daytonas.  Which is to say NOT AT ALL.  The problem that makes some combinations not possible is in the subassemblies themselves.  Take for example an A/C firewall in a fourspeed car :rotz:  NOT.  The correct firewall for both those options to coexist DID NOT happen.  Well, not in the years I actually study.   :shruggy:

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

JamieZ

Is the firewall different between a 440 and a 383?  383 4 speeds with A/C did exist in 1968.

Ghoste

Yes they did but as subassemblies coming together certain things begin to work like checks and balances.  Its one thing to have a typo or mistake in one area but for some of these things to occur it has to happen in several areas.
If that makes sense.

BB14404SPD

Apologies to bring a old tread back from the grave....

After speaking to the owner and inquiring about the axle. It was changed for an axle that had bigger brakes. He said he did not know any better back then.

Anyways here is what I got:

I have the original 10" drums and backing plates, so with a little bit of surgery all parts will be reunited. Thanks for the information as was able to get the Charger way better and a lot more desirable. I also have the original pinion snubber.

Cncguy

Dans 68

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259