News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I just found a Unicorn (68 R/T 4-speed with factory air)....

Started by Dans 68, March 09, 2014, 02:06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dans 68

Currently on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Charger-r-t-1968-dodge-charger-r-t-440-magnum-4-speed-manual-hurst-side-shifter-/131131911041?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1e88122b81&item=131131911041&pt=US_Cars_Trucks) there is a '68 R/T 4-speed WITH air conditioning. The fender tag looks legit. The car looks original (for as few pictures there are). I had always thought that the 383 4-speed was the only big block engine to have that option. A real head-scratcher if true....

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

xs29bb1

Quote from: Dans 68 on March 09, 2014, 02:06:30 AM
I had always thought that the 383 4-speed was the only big block engine to have that option. A real head-scratcher if true....

Didn't they make a lot more R/T's w/ 4-spd's than 383's in '68?  I thought the numbers were around 250 383's and over 2700 R/T's w/ 4-spd.

Dans 68

Yes, a lot more R/T 4-speeds. But, you could not order a 440 (or a Hemi for that matter) R/T 4-speed with A/C. Not allowed. I have never seen this option on an R/T 4-speed tag before. That is until now.    :scratchchin:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Drache

Could it be like my dad's 70 Charger R/T? It supposedly had options you couldn't normally get because the car was ordered by someone who worked at a Dodge Dealership.  :shruggy:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Dans 68

Per the tag it is a special order car (y9)...I have just not believed this mythical creature existed. Until now.

Dan

Mytur Binsdirti

hawkeye

Why would a car with 26,XXX miles, that has never seen winter, need a rotisserie restoration?    :shruggy:

Mike DC

I recall reading about something like a 1970 Cuda 440/4spd with factory air.  It did happen a few times. 

There weren't literally any mechanical/fitment problems standing in the way of the combination, at least not on the 440s.  Mopar just didn't like paying warranty claims on grenaded A/C compressors when guys over-revved the engine.  Those old compressors weren't really built to withstand more than a few thousand RPMs.

Moparpoolman

Quote from: hawkeye on March 09, 2014, 07:27:52 AM
Why would a car with 26,XXX miles, that has never seen winter, need a rotisserie restoration?    :shruggy:
"no rust, paint how ever is showing age with several paint bubbles between primer and paint layer not rusting at all!"
I've never seen a bubble under paint that wasn't rust? 

Ghoste

TUFCAT

Sharp find Dan!  :2thumbs:

I might be wrong, but I spy the "1" in the fourth row under "S" appears different than other number "1"'s stamped onto this plate.  :scope:

Just for a quick translation to understand what Dan was looking for. The number "1" under the "S" in the fourth row represents a place digit holder (better known as the digit for "heater" sales codes).  A number "1" in this place would represent sales code 411 - air conditioning with heater.  If this same car was built as standard "heater",  no optional sales codes would be found in this area.

Dan is also 100% correct that you should never see sales code " 411" used with this engine/trans configuration because it was not available.  The fender tags shows on the bottom row, engine digit code "83" (440-4bbl) and transmission digit code "3" (4-speed manual floor shift).  

:popcrn:

A broadcast sheet is needed to prove this scenario was built.  :scratchchin:

Mytur Binsdirti

The "1" under the "s" looks to me to be the same, but it does appear to have a bend in it. However, if you look closely, that "bend" could also be attributed to it being scratched & possible paint build up and/or camera lighting.   :shruggy:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: hawkeye on March 09, 2014, 07:27:52 AM

Because it's a Dodge  :Twocents:

rarefish

Here is the dealer ordering info. for the 1968 Charger.
Note the 441 code at the top...

Just 6T9 CHGR

That 1 definitely looks different to me as well.....looks just a touch smaller and the bottom of it longer than the rest :scratchchin:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Homerr

QuoteCAR: Dodge Charger R/T 2 Door Sports Hardtop
ENGINE: 440cid 4-bbl HP V8
TRANSMISSION: 4-Speed Manual Floor Shift
TIRES: F70x14 Red Side Wall, Steel Belted
BUILD DATE: April 27.
AXLE: 3.23 Rear Axle Ratio, Sure Grip
INTERIOR: Charger Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. White on Black Interior.
PAINT: Monotone Bright Blue Metallic Paint.
OTHER: White Upper Door Frame Color. White Bumble-Bee Sport Stripe.

MOLDINGS:
25: Drip Rail Mouldings
30: Body Belt Mouldings
78: Wheel Lip Mouldings

ABC OPTIONS:
A1: 26in Radiator
H1: Power Brakes
R3: Unknown Option
S1: Air Conditioning
X1: Tinted Glass (all)
Y7: White Vinyl Top

abc OPTIONS:
a6: Console
b4: Bucket Seats
h7: Fender or Hood Mounted Turn Signal Indicators
m6: Driver's Outside Remote Operated Mirror
y9: Special Order
http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=85

RallyeMike

When we are looking for things we find them. All of the ones appear have variations if you compare them. The tag overall looks legit to me. If its fake, its amazing.

This car is interesting to be sure.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

BIGBLCK11

If it is a unicorn, the seller is not boasting it as such.  Not that the price is low, other than stating factory air, it doesn't mention the combo as rare at all.  If you were going to fake a 1 of 1, I think you would mention it.  But, it could be what they want you to think.  I agree with you see things that you are looking for.  The 1 in the vin looks similar to that one, looking like it has a slight bend.

A383Wing

Quote from: BIGBLCK11 on March 09, 2014, 11:53:51 AM
If it is a unicorn, the seller is not boasting it as such.  Not that the price is low, other than stating factory air, it doesn't mention the combo as rare at all.

probably because he does not know the rarity of what he's selling

BIGBLCK11

Quote from: A383Wing on March 09, 2014, 11:58:54 AM
Quote from: BIGBLCK11 on March 09, 2014, 11:53:51 AM
If it is a unicorn, the seller is not boasting it as such.  Not that the price is low, other than stating factory air, it doesn't mention the combo as rare at all.

probably because he does not know the rarity of what he's selling

Right, I was alluding to whether or not it was being faked.

bakerhillpins

Interesting, when I first saw that listing he didn't have #s matching in the description so I figured it was a swapped in drive train. Never bothered to look at the fender tag after that.  Without a broadcast sheet or pics of the car before restoration its anyone's guess. Possible? sure I suppose. After all we have the member with the executive 68 that has the sunroof.  Without some much better evidence, I am inclined to say no.  Some good quality fender tag reproductions out there. Doesn't take much to make it look correct.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

6bblgt

FAKE tag - was probably a triple-green automatic when Chrysler Corp. built it the first time.  :brickwall: There are ZERO 440 4-spd Chrysler Corp. automobiles.

Ghoste

tan top

had a trunk floor , & a 70 deck lid put on at some stage  :yesnod:  :scratchchin:  

:popcrn:

XS29L8B362501
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html