News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

wire size question

Started by Crazy440, March 10, 2006, 06:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy440

Probably a stupid question, but.  I noticed, while redoing my starting circuit, that from the ignition to the bulkhead disconnect, there is a #12 wire, to terminal 9.  Then from the engine bay bulkhead disconnect, there is a #18 wire from terminal 9 to the starter relay.  Why would they use a #12 from the ign. then drop it to a #18?  Doesn't make sense.

Crazy
I used to have a handle on life....but it broke off.

John_Kunkel

The smaller gauge wire from the relay to the bulkhead connector is supposed to be a fusible link, it's purpose is to burn out like a fuse if the circuit is overloaded. (Stupid concept IMHO)

A true fusible link will have a molded in "flag", if there is simply a section of small gauge wire without the flag someone has replaced the fusible link with plain wire.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

jaak

Quote from: John_Kunkel on March 11, 2006, 04:50:14 PM
The smaller gauge wire from the relay to the bulkhead connector is supposed to be a fusible link, it's purpose is to burn out like a fuse if the circuit is overloaded. (Stupid concept IMHO)

A true fusible link will have a molded in "flag", if there is simply a section of small gauge wire without the flag someone has replaced the fusible link with plain wire.

:iagree: My harness was the same way, the original fusible link gone and a plain 18 ga wire installed, you can get a new link at year1 paddock,etc. I think mine was around 10-12 bucks.

Crazy440

jaak  ya got a part number?  All I can find in the cat. is the main fusable link.

Crazy
I used to have a handle on life....but it broke off.