News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

need new wheels for Daytona

Started by Q5XX29, March 13, 2014, 10:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q5XX29

Hello,

I plan on driving the Daytona a bit this year, and figured I better swap out the valuable and rather grandmotherly-looking original rims/tires. I want something that has an original look, yet more attractive and sporty. I am thinking of getting some chrome magnum 500s, and wondered about choosing the sizes. I was thinking 15 x 7 rims in the front, and 15 x 8 in the rear. I see Summit has them for a good price. They list a standard backspacing of 4.5".  Is this the correct backspacing for this car? Thanks for any opinions/help!
dakota_gt on Instagram

loudmouthaussie

no reason to go 15s. I got these cragar magnum 500s for my 70 charger in 14 x 7. apparently the dies for 14 x 6 need repair. I think they look good and fill the guards out to a nice original (ish) look.
ps-yes I know no redlines on 70 but I like. what can I say?  :yesnod:
14 x 8 would look good on rear.
tyres are 225 x 75 from memory. I can have a look. cost me $300 + change each down here!

1970 PLYMOUTH SUPERBIRD. 440/6BBL/BENCH/AUTO/VITAMIN C.
1979 FORD RANCHERO GT 351.
1960 AUSTIN HEALEY MK1 BUGEYE SPRITE 1275/4 SPEED.

A383Wing

I think that the Q5 car would look great with a set of repro recall wheels....but that's just me

I love spending other peoples money

Q5XX29

Quote from: A383Wing on March 13, 2014, 11:16:38 PM
I think that the Q5 car would look great with a set of repro recall wheels....but that's just me

I love spending other peoples money

The Kelsey-Hayes magnesium ones? Yes, I had considered those too. I agree. Decisions, decisions...
dakota_gt on Instagram

Q5XX29

Quote from: loudmouthaussie on March 13, 2014, 10:59:06 PM
no reason to go 15s. I got these cragar magnum 500s for my 70 charger in 14 x 7. apparently the dies for 14 x 6 need repair. I think they look good and fill the guards out to a nice original (ish) look.
ps-yes I know no redlines on 70 but I like. what can I say?  :yesnod:
14 x 8 would look good on rear.
tyres are 225 x 75 from memory. I can have a look. cost me $300 + change each down here!

Thanks for your input. Your car does look very nice. I have a '70 burnt orange Charger 500 with 383, also. Great cars!
dakota_gt on Instagram

Mytur Binsdirti

Can't go wrong with Magnums or recall wheels. Radial redlines would also compliment the wheels & the body color.

pettybird

I LOVE the "day two" look with mag wheels.  Either of these would look amazing:

http://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/are-402586540/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/are-t70r5865/overview/

Run a 15x7 up front with a 255/60/15 and a 15x8 out back with a 275/60/15 tire.  Nothing hits, rubs or does anything stupid.  If you're willing to put up with reproduction bias plys, these wheels look amazing with Polyglas tires on them...it looks like 1970 all over again.

here's out 'bird with the far more common Torq Thrust "D" mags, 15x7 all around and with 245/60/15 tires:

if pic doesn't come up go to the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pettybird/6008579357

Aero426

American Torq Thrust or 200S for me.   

I also don't mind the hubcaps.   

Q5XX29

Thank you everybody, for your thoughts! Does the backspacing matter much, when I am not really going to be "maxing out" on the rubber width? I think the 275/60 rear is perfect too, for the look I want. Is either 4 or 4.5" backspacing going to be fine then, I assume?

dakota_gt on Instagram

billssuperbird

I have 15/7 235/60/15 front. I am putting 15/8 275/60/15 rear magnum 500.

pettybird

Quote from: Q5XX29 on March 14, 2014, 10:45:04 AM
Thank you everybody, for your thoughts! Does the backspacing matter much, when I am not really going to be "maxing out" on the rubber width? I think the 275/60 rear is perfect too, for the look I want. Is either 4 or 4.5" backspacing going to be fine then, I assume?

Those off-the-shelf wheels from American Racing fit your car as-is.

hemi68charger

Here's a picture of a Daytona with Magnums... I have 15x8's all the way around with a 4.5" back spacing...........  That's Josh, my 21 yr. old step-son...........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Q5XX29

Quote from: pettybird on March 14, 2014, 11:10:20 AM

Great, thats what I'm after. Nice car!
Thank you.
dakota_gt on Instagram

Q5XX29

Quote from: pettybird on March 14, 2014, 11:10:20 AM

Terrific. Thanks!
dakota_gt on Instagram

Q5XX29

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 14, 2014, 12:22:08 PM
Here's a picture of a Daytona with Magnums... I have 15x8's all the way around with a 4.5" back spacing...........  That's Josh, my 21 yr. old step-son...........

It's settled then. Thanks, and beautiful Daytona. That was very helpful!
dakota_gt on Instagram

Dave Kanofsky

Good call!  I have chrome Magnum's, 15x8 in back with 275/60-15, 15x7 in front with 255/60-15
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Moparpoolman

Just to add, There are more 15" tire options (brand and size) out there than 14" and because of less demand for 14" they are becoming more expensive too.

Q5XX29

Dave, I love the chrome magnums on your car.

Poolman, good to know, thanks

I think I like the idea of the redline tire look, together with the chrome magnums, for my Q5 color. I think that will give it the right blend of style mixed with semi-OEM look. Anybody know where I can get redline tires in the 275 size though? Sorry, for all of the questions, I have been out of the game for a while...

edit: Never mind. I just found some places online that carry the BF Goodriches with redlines in the sizes I need.
dakota_gt on Instagram

UFO

With the white stripe, my vote is for white line tires.
Have you played around with photoshop to get a better idea of how each combo ill look?

Q5XX29

Quote from: UFO on March 14, 2014, 06:02:01 PM
Have you played around with photoshop to get a better idea of how each combo ill look?

Hmmmm. No, I haven't. I see your point, but I am still leaning toward the redlines. The white lines just make it seem to me to look TOO pedestrian, not as muscular/sporty .

I did just find a pic of this blue daytona with the wheel/tire combo I am interested in (what luck!):
dakota_gt on Instagram

Just 6T9 CHGR

These were 15x7 Road Wheels (trim ring style "correct" for '69 but not in the "correct" brushed finish) from Specialty Wheels and radial redlines from DiamondBack Classics....255/60/15 on all 4 corners....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

A383Wing

Quote from: Q5XX29 on March 14, 2014, 07:51:48 PM
Quote from: UFO on March 14, 2014, 06:02:01 PM

Hmmmm. No, I haven't. I see your point, but I am still leaning toward the redlines. The white lines just make it seem to me to look TOO pedestrian, not as muscular/sporty .

I did just find a pic of this blue daytona with the wheel/tire combo I am interested in (what luck!):

now put the recall wheels on there with red lines and you will be set....seen too many Daytona's with magnums...need something different

FJ5WING

do any of the guys pimping the recall wheels know theyre discontinued? :shruggy:

The reason there are so many Daytonas with Magnums...............

IT LOOKS GOOD! :2thumbs:
wingless now, but still around.

FJ5WING

wingless now, but still around.