News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

steering wheel shakes when braking

Started by tucknroll, March 19, 2014, 01:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tucknroll

hey, I have 10 inch drums on the front of the 69 and even with new drums and shoes, the steering wheel shakes when braking. oddly enough, when I got new tires on the front, a lot of it seemed to stop but its still there. any ideas?

68 RT

Wheel bearings, maybe other suspension parts. Does car pull to either side or just shake?

Cooter

First off, get rid of frt. Drum brakes.
Second, turn drums all around.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

tucknroll

just shakes. I'm going to try turning the drums. after I get my taxes done, im going to put disc on the front.

tucknroll

im ordering a disc conversion tonight from classic industries and just wanted to check if I need a set with a master cylinder or can I use the one on my car?

twodko

I just ordered my disk brake conversion kit from Master Power Brakes. It's just the basic "factory power drum to power disk" kit but it comes with a MC and power booster. $1079

I bought a similarity several years ago for a Chevelle and liked it so much I'm bought from these guys again.  

Buy a kit that includes all this stuff that way you'll know it's all intended to work together. You won't be
guessing/hoping existing parts you already have will be compatible. :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

green69rt

Quote from: Cooter on March 19, 2014, 02:41:10 PM
First off, get rid of frt. Drum brakes.
Second, turn drums all around.

:2thumbs:
Don't have an opinion about disc/drum but shaking of the steering wheel when braking is classic symptom of warped disc or out of round drum.  If you turn the drums then go ahead and replace the pads.  Something caused the drums to go out of round and it may have been old pads that require more braking force (this means heat.)

Late thought... new drums may be required depending on how much out of round they are,  Maybe just get new ones (not used!!) to start with, that may be less of a headache.

tucknroll

I am installing the disc conversion and my dad who helps me thinks I should try using the existing master cylinder but I want to use the new one. do you guys think the original one will be ok? I just hate to tell him no because I use his shop and mostly his tools. and out of respect.

tucknroll

and one last question, the only part I don't know what is, is a black piece that has a knob to tighten and it reads in and out. it also has 2 holes through it. anyone know what part im talking about and what is it?

Sublime/Sixpack

1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

tucknroll

Sublime/Sixpack

Inside of the left front frame rail seems to work well. And it's easy access when you want to adjust it.
I located it so it's just behind the metal shield that attaches to the frame rail (which isn't in place in this photo) so it has some protection from road debris, etc.

1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

b5blue

You need to check that the strut rods and bushings are in real good condition first. The rods can be slightly bowed or bent and the bushings can be wallowed out, dry rotted, cracked or smashed out of shape. Check straightness with something known to be nice a straight like a 2 foot level or framing square (Whatever.) side to side and top and bottom and jack up the car and force the rod and lower control arm back and forth/up and down firmly. Look for any play, slop or looseness.  :2thumbs:

tucknroll

well now theres another problem. the caliper bracket for the passanger side wont line up. its the exact same as the driver side but it wont fit. should they be different?

tucknroll

finished the conversion sunday and it's the best thing ive done to the car so far! great stopping with no shaking of any kind. I love it.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: tucknroll on April 08, 2014, 04:40:49 PM
finished the conversion sunday and it's the best thing ive done to the car so far! great stopping with no shaking of any kind. I love it.
Now do the rear disc conversion, BIG difference.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."