News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are glovebox and console locks/latches the same?

Started by Wakko, March 11, 2006, 01:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakko

I need one for my glovebox but the console lid locks seem to be easier to find on Ebay.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Ghoste

Just 6T9 CHGR

I used/upgraded my originals with the cheaper/easier to find 71-74 B & E body locks.  These have a square back as opposed to a round back but work perfectly.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

Chris, I thought your car was concours perfect!

Wakko

Quote from: Ghoste on March 11, 2006, 06:31:00 PM
Yes and the deck lid as well.

Deck lid as in trunk lid?  They look pretty danged different to me.
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Ghoste on March 11, 2006, 07:20:51 PM
Chris, I thought your car was concours perfect!

Ahh....I have done my job.....smoke & mirrors baby, smoke & mirrors! :)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

I'm going by the 69 parts catalog Wakko.  It's very possible that they used a single lock cylinder for warranty replacement purposes and two or even three during the assembly line process.  It's also possible that the parts catalog is just plain wrong.

Wakko

This is from YearOne...this is correct?  $20.95 from them.

Or is this the correct one? 

My car isn't here so I Can't look, but I think it's the lower one.
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

Chryco Psycho

the top one is right for the glove box door 70 up E body , can`t remeber what the 68-70 charger used though  , the bottom is the console lock

Just 6T9 CHGR

The bottom one can be used for both the console & glovebox for a 68-69 Charger.

Thats the 71-74 B & E body lock I was referring to....

Function over form.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

I'm sorry Wakko.  What I never made clear was that I was looking up the lock cylinders only, not the latches.  My apologies man.
As soon as I saw your pictures I realized I was likely screwing you up.

Wakko

Ok, the light has finally flickered on in my head. :)   No worries, Ghost!
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

kab69440

The glovebox lock/ latch assemblies are slightly larger than the console ones. To use a glovebox lock/latch in a console, the hole needs to be enlarged some. But they look near identical.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: kab69440 on March 13, 2006, 10:15:54 PM
The glovebox lock/ latch assemblies are slightly larger than the console ones. To use a glovebox lock/latch in a console, the hole needs to be enlarged some. But they look near identical.

I didnt have to :shruggy:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

kab69440

Well, looks like I have a plate of crow to eat... (as usual...)  The Glove box latches are not different per se, but they have an additional stainless shoulder cover over them.  Here is a pic of a set of NOS Glove box and console door latches I have been stashing for a number of years, side by side. The console door has not been drilled and you can see the difference that shoulder cover makes. I suppose it is feasible that the cover can just be popped off for use in a console.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Wakko

Dude, it ain't eatin crow.  That's only reserved when you make an ass out of someone, IMO.

To be 100% sure that they'll fit why don't you send both of those latches down here...one for my glove box...one for my console lid....  :)
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

kab69440

I suppose you would also desire the decklid cylinder and rod, maybe I should throw in the key and code tag for them, also...?

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny

Wakko

Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

kab69440

I have about 4 glovebox doors laying around here. Let me see if I can dig one up.

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny

Wakko

Cool...if the glovebox door is factory black I might just take that too.  Mine was repainted gloss black and has orange peel galore. 
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

Just 6T9 CHGR

I see what you mean, they do look a bit different, but I was referring to the later model 71-74 style in my posts.  Thats why you're statement threw me off...... :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

kab69440

Ahhhhhh... OK, I feel like a moron now... duuuuuhhhhh! :brickwall:

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny