News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

amd door hinges

Started by darkside, December 19, 2013, 05:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkside

Anyone ever used the amd door hinges?

fy469rtse

be careful,
closely check mounting measurements against your old , i had to re work mine,
reports of early sets  Trouble with a capital T for the ill informed or with limited skills ,
the only reason i didnt return mine was  because of the freight and distance

darkside

Did they work fine after you got them lined up?

ODZKing

Indygenerallee

Yep, just have your stock ones rebuilt. That's what I had done, There was a guy over on FBBO that did mine, Sandblasted, epoxy primed and rebuilt with new hardware. Believe it was around $120.00 for all four.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

green69rt

I used the AMD hinges on my car and while they work ok they just don't look right.  Pic attached.

fy469rtse

Like mitch answered , yes they work good , I just don't look at mine because there not the same, function great but it bugs me they couldn't get them right , you can re pin and bush your old ones, I only bought the the re pros because springs were also broken on mine

AKcharger

It's pretty easy to do them yourself, I did my '70 and '72 hinges, no big deal.

NHCharger

I just rebuilt mine on my 68. The pins had quite a bit a wear so I filled in the spots with my mig welder.
Bill- It's hard to concentrate on reading your replies, I have no idea why  :lol:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

brianbob

I would suggest rebuilding the ones you have.  I ordered a left and right set from AMD.  I couldn't get my gaps set correct on the passenger side with the AMD.  Fortunately my factory passenger side hinges weren't too bad and I ended up reusing them instead of the AMD.  I ended up using the driver side AMD and had acceptable gaps after drilling out the holes on the hinges a little.  The AMD hinge just doesn't have a quality feel when opening and closing the door like the factory ones do (IMO).   

tan top

would get the originals rebuilt !  :Twocents:

factory part is a factory part , repop is  reproduction
only use a repop stuff when absolutely necessary  :Twocents:
some things you can get away with door & hood hinges would not give my self the extra work  :pullinghair:  :Twocents:
nothing like the genuine part
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

timmycharger

Awesome, I bought AMD hinges, they have been bolted to the car for almost a year, and have been painted when I did the jambs, trunk, engine compartment.  Im bolting on the doors/fenders this spring, looks like Ill have some challenges ahead of me.

Thinking AMD would be the worry free solution, I sold my original set on Ebay just last month. I tried re pinning them but my doors still sagged when the car was running so I figured they were junk. I suppose I could have used the MIG welder but didnt want the hassle at the time..  yaaaay me!  :brickwall:

fy469rtse

Timmy charger, think it was to early sets only, helped a friend put he's on and no issues , two years since I bought mine, but just keep it in mind when you start to reassemble , easy fix , just have to slot a couple of holes for more adjustment .

timmycharger

Quote from: fy469rtse on December 27, 2013, 09:53:01 AM
Timmy charger, think it was to early sets only, helped a friend put he's on and no issues , two years since I bought mine, but just keep it in mind when you start to reassemble , easy fix , just have to slot a couple of holes for more adjustment .

Thank you, that is good to know  ;D

71charger_fan

I put an AMD lower driver's door hinge in my '71 and it's fine. The bottom of the door doesn't move in and out on the highway any more which I count as a victory.

ottawamerc

I bought a set from SMS at moparfest this past summer, they look factory original although I haven't  tried to install them yet :scratchchin: It's kind of a job I'm not looking forward too. My originals have been re pinned but the springs and roll pins are all gone and those big barn doors are like a mouse trap on my kids fingers :icon_smile_blackeye:

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

ottawamerc

Ok so I finnaly got around to installing them and YES just like many of you have said the lower passenger side was wayy off, like a 1/4" :brickwall: :brickwall: I had to make a shim that corrected the bend then mount it to the A post.

My recommendation to anyone doing this in the future is get your originals rebuilt even if it's $250 still cheaper than buying crap ones from AMD or SMS where I got mine ( I think they get them from AMD too)

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

Daytona R/T SE

My AMD hood hinges are garbage. :Twocents:

:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

myk

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 26, 2014, 10:45:16 PM
My AMD hood hinges are garbage. :Twocents:

:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

How so?  I was just considering picking up a set...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

ODZKing