News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Timmycharger's 68 Resto

Started by timmycharger, August 21, 2015, 07:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmycharger

I have been on this site a while and have been meaning to start my own resto thread, and when I found some more old pics of my car, I figured it was a good time. I am getting close to the end of the resto so I will have lots of pics to share, Ill be uploading them a few at a time due to the number of pics I have.  

The background:

I picked up the car locally in 1997 after going to Carlisle and not finding anything decent. This car was literally 15 miles from my house. Paid $3995 for a running, driving 68 Charger with a 318 auto, green, with a green interior.  the car looked pretty good, I knew it had rust and would eventually need to be addressed. I tried to upgrade the 318 immediately with a 4bbl intake and carb, but it wasnt good enough so within a year I picked up a 440 (same one I have now).  The 440 was very stout, it was just rebuilt from the person I bought it from, I was going the stock look at first, manifolds, 3:23 rear, mild cam.  The car was pretty quick in that configuration, ended up going 13.9 at the track on its first try. The racing bug got me good and the stock look didnt last long.

I would eventually add headers, better intake/cam, gears, then the six pack set up, glass hood, aluminum wheels. I removed the front anti sway bar, added drag shocks, converted to manual steering.  The car would do its best 1/4 mile time of 12.8@ 108 in 2002 with slicks, but I never got to see its full potential in its last configuration as I only was able to get 1 pass in with my street slicks and did that time. The tires were not even broken in yet, it was the first and only pass they would ever make as a week later, the transmission was leaking so I pulled it and decided to go the 4 speed route thinking it would be a quick swap, one thing led to another, a house addition, 3 kids later fast forward to 2015 and here I am now.

It has been a long journey since starting the resto in 2002, as you will see in future pics, lots of sheetmetal was replaced, this was before AMD had the full quarters and repro panels that they have now for this car. If it were now, I would have done things different, but I did what I could with what I had. I was originally going to keep it F3 green, but when the interior parts got wrecked in storage, i decided to go with a black interior which meant I could pick any color I wanted, so I decided on going with 1969 B7 Blue.

I learned lots along the way, learned to weld, paint, fabricate metal, had lots of help from my brother in law who still shleps over every week to help me out.  I made some mistakes, but I didnt pay anyone to anything on the resto except for the windshield and some machine shop work on the crank/rods and pistons.  Its a good feeling knowing every inch of the car inside and out.  Enjoy!  :cheers:

Mike

timmycharger

Here we are dropping in the 440. Added Magnum 500's, made a big difference!

First pass at the track, went against a 67 Hemi Coronet!

timmycharger

Few more pics of it pre restoration.

Cncguy

Looks nice can't wait to see the history of the build.

skip68

:drool5:  Sweeeeeeet  :2thumbs:
Are you still planning on some track days?
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

VegasCharger

Quote from: timmycharger on August 21, 2015, 07:30:06 AM

Thanks for sharing :2thumbs:

Do you have a larger image of your top pic (see red arrow in my pic below)? I could swear that I've seen that pic on-line way back in 2000 when I first started to use computers. This was at my work place as they were converting their data base to the internet. So I was kinda thrown into learning how to use the internet and I remember my partner showing me how to display a pic of my choice for my desktop background. So I searched the web for 68 Chargers and I think that small pic you have was it. I since lost that pic over the years but I sure do remember the green 68 R/T doing that burn out. If it is that same pic, what a small world :2thumbs:

timmycharger

Quote from: skip68 on August 21, 2015, 07:53:50 AM
:drool5:  Sweeeeeeet  :2thumbs:
Are you still planning on some track days?

Most definitely!! I cant wait to see how it does with the 4 speed vs. auto, motor is pretty much the same except for aluminum heads.

68pplcharger

Very nice, car turned out great...  :2thumbs: never mind that's before resto...  :rotz:

Helps to read before replying...  :smilielol:

timmycharger

Quote from: VegasCharger on August 21, 2015, 10:21:46 AM
Quote from: timmycharger on August 21, 2015, 07:30:06 AM

Thanks for sharing :2thumbs:

Do you have a larger image of your top pic (see red arrow in my pic below)? I could swear that I've seen that pic on-line way back in 2000 when I first started to use computers. This was at my work place as they were converting their data base to the internet. So I was kinda thrown into learning how to use the internet and I remember my partner showing me how to display a pic of my choice for my desktop background. So I searched the web for 68 Chargers and I think that small pic you have was it. I since lost that pic over the years but I sure do remember the green 68 R/T doing that burn out. If it is that same pic, what a small world :2thumbs:

That is too funny! this is the biggest version I could find, someone took that pic and posted it online and I happened to see it. It was taken at a car show in Rhode Island back in 00 or 01, ive got grainy video of it somewhere too. Small world indeed!!  I posted these on Moparts as well probably 10 years ago.

VegasCharger

Quote from: timmycharger on August 21, 2015, 10:39:50 AM
That is too funny! this is the biggest version I could find, someone took that pic and posted it online and I happened to see it. It was taken at a car show in Rhode Island back in 00 or 01, ive got grainy video of it somewhere too. Small world indeed!!  I posted these on Moparts as well probably 10 years ago.

OMG that's it!! It had to been the year 2000 because that was the year that the internet was being introduced to the company that I worked for. I remember saving that pic as well as using it for my desktop background. Me being new to the computer I also remember messing around with that pic with Micro Soft paint and I ended losing it somehow. Then I couldn't figure out how to find the website from where I originally found it. Back then there was no Google lol. Funny I just tried a Google search after I replied here and it didn't come up.

Yep a small world indeed, thanks for the larger pic :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Oh and to get back on track, NICE 68 CHARGER :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

timmycharger

Thanks!!

some vids as well. The video at the track is frustrating to watch for me. We planned it for weeks, it was a rent a track day with some members of another car club so I had all day to test and tune, the weather was perfect, I just bought new front and rear aluminum wheels and new tires. The rears were ET Streets, brand new, still sticker residue on them. I should have known something was off as the rear wheels were so hard to get the lugs in, but I put them on in the pits when I got there and lined up. My buddy didnt get to the line in time to catch me go down the track as there was no lines in the staging area and I just rolled up to the tree.  Did a small burnout, made my pass and it was the one I noted above, my fastest pass ever, 12.8 at 108.  Then the track guy flagged me down saying I couldn't run as my rear wheels were wabbling badly.  I didnt notice it as I was running open headers.  Turned out, the weights on the drums were hitting the Weld wheels and they were not sitting flush on the drum.. I was so pissed, I even tried to knock them off, but wasnt able to with the tools I had there.  Ended up bolting my terrible street tires and did a few passes. It was useless to try to tune, I even brought jets to mess with. I always wondered what that car could have done that day. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vSO-DlxlKs   -  FFWd to .28 sec mark!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4hmgEhh2wE

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

timmycharger

Quote from: VegasCharger on August 21, 2015, 11:13:15 AM
Quote from: timmycharger on August 21, 2015, 10:39:50 AM

OMG that's it!! It had to been the year 2000 because that was the year that the internet was being introduced to the company that I worked for. I remember saving that pic as well as using it for my desktop background. Me being new to the computer I also remember messing around with that pic with Micro Soft paint and I ended losing it somehow. Then I couldn't figure out how to find the website from where I originally found it. Back then there was no Google lol. Funny I just tried a Google search after I replied here and it didn't come up.

Yep a small world indeed, thanks for the larger pic :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Oh and to get back on track, NICE 68 CHARGER :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Ha! I love that pic, got in a bit of trouble with the wife because of that burnout though. I was there with my brother and his 70 Dart, and we must have missed the part when our wives walked across the street from the car show to a mall. My wife bought a dress and a few other things, put it in the back on the Charger and closed the trunk. My trunk area was terrible so I didn't think to look in there before I entered the burnout contest. Needless to say, the dress was ruined since my trunk floor was pretty much swiss cheese.  She ended up having to return it weeks later after the smell of rubber wore off.

timmycharger

:coolgleamA:

RallyeMike

I love the progression. Proof again that old cars never die - they just get faster. :2thumbs:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

timmycharger

Starting to get gnarly  :o

timmycharger

timmycharger

timmycharger

As you can see, both corners were toast, water leaking into the trunk caused a mess. Here is where I wish AMD was around, I don't remember anyone making quality pieces in 02 for this part of the car so I had to fab up the corners and parts of the inner C pillar. Came out ok, not great, but I have the rear glass in now and the trim fits in there perfectly.

timmycharger

:icon_smile_cool:

timmycharger

I didn't have access to a sandblaster yet so I ended up cleaning the inside framerails the best I could and them hitting them with POR 15, I used that stuff everywhere, pretty much coated the bottom of the car with it.  :icon_smile_big:  Used Weld thru primer as well.

timmycharger

the top of the quarter near the door was cracked, had to weld it back together.

keepat

Nice work! Almost 13 years ago does it bring back fond memories your nightmares?
Keep the pictures coming.
Pat

timmycharger

Quote from: keepat on August 24, 2015, 08:47:58 PM
Nice work! Almost 13 years ago does it bring back fond memories your nightmares?
Keep the pictures coming.
Pat

Thanks Pat, it seems like a million years ago, but with all I have learned over the years, I would have done a few things differently.

keep up the amazing work on your car!

Mike

timmycharger

some more pics