News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where do you buy your tires? Walmart anyone?

Started by miller time, March 30, 2014, 12:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miller time

Hey yall, after 6 years i finally drove my Charger home no winds at all, no hood, grill or a few other things,  :drive:

I drove it on trailer tires on the front and really old bias tires on the back, so i wont drive it Anywhere till i get new tires, needless to say it was a very gentle test drive that went flawlessly

So where do you buy tires?
I can only get Radial TAs in the size i want because i have 14s and 15s
a trusted tire shop wants like $850 installed and aligned
walmart wants around $650 and i dont know if thats installed, but no alignment, id just bring my wheels in and tell them how to mount my tires, (from the back because if the booger my Center Lines Im not paying for the tires)

So do you trust walmart tires? i want to be pretty sure, there good and not Seconds or Blemishes
thanks alot   :cheers:

FOUND OUT WALMART TIRES ARE GOOD! NOT 2NDS OR BLEMS
but there service..... good luck with that

miller time

The Question Is Where Do You Buy Tires?
24 people have looked and i guess never bought tires before, pipe up yall make you tire store BE KNOWN TO ALL :nana:

JB400

I'll admit that I buy mine there for the daily.  For the charger, probably not.  I don't want them messing with it.  Name brand Goodyears only for me.  What I don't like is they automatically put in new valve stems and charge you for them :flame:  You have to request for them to leave the existing valve stems in.

BIGBLCK11

I always price shop between Tireman or Belle Tire(not sure how large of a chain either of those are), Tire Rack, Discount Tire.  You have to weigh cost of shipping vs. mounting/balancing for carry-in's.  I am not a huge Walmart shopper, but I don't think they have blems.  They saved our butt with the right sized, 14", decent, Goodyear, on a Sunday evening, after we had a blowout on the turnpike.  It really depends on the employees.  We had a great experience there.  My cousin recently had to fight for a replacement aluminum wheel, after a different shop damaged it, but didn't mention it to him.  Make sure they can handle aluminum wheels and that it is a concern. 

A383Wing

myk

Another vote for Discount Tires.  They have a good selection and the pricing is tough to beat...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Dino

Discount tire

I used to go to Belle Tire until they tried to rip me off so I made a lot of noise and left there for the last time.

When my wheels were ready to pick up at DT I went to pay and they asked me to wait for a minute.  It was a day before memorial day sales would start so they called the boss and they gave me the sale + $175 in rebate cards.  Never asked for any of that so that's good service to me.   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Dodgecharger74

74 charger se
82 dodge PU fleetside short box 440
05 magnum 5.7 Hemi
04 rumble bee hemi

nvrbdn

i have an extra set of wheels for my f-250, so i was dropping them off at walmart to put new tires on. i had my new wheels in the truck that were going on the charger with a pair of tires that i had picked up for the back, and looking to purchase the new front tires. im was planning on taking them to a buddies shop. walmart offered to mount and balance the rears for 10 apiece, then had the tires i wanted for the front for a nice price. so i left all 8 wheels. they did a great job, and even polished the wheels to remove the finger prints when i picked them up.  :yesnod:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

69chargerboy

Quote from: A383Wing on March 30, 2014, 10:33:29 PM
Discount tires for me

:iagree:

I never take any of my cars to Walmart. I stick to local service centers that I have a relationship with.
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

green69rt

I've used Discount Tire for years, I buy Michelin tires from my wife's car and my little pickup.  I tried NTW once but had such a bad experience that I haven't been back.  Never bought anything except batteries from Walmart.

Troy

The only tires I've ever purchased from Wal-Mart are for my trailer and that's because it was a holiday weekend and no one else was open (that also had the tires in stock). I bought Goodyears that were available elsewhere so they weren't a "cheap" Wal-Mart only deal. The mounting and balancing was much less expensive than any other tire store around here so I'd consider going back when I want to swap some of the tires in my garage. For cars, I've been using TireRack.com. I have them shipped to an "affiliated" local tire store (National Tire and Battery) and mounted/balanced/installed by them. The price is cheaper than what the local store would charge AND they get paid for labor so it works for everyone. The only drawback is having to wait a couple days. I have gone to buy tires before and had to wait while they were brought over "from the warehouse" so this way you know the tires are sitting there when you show up for the appointment.

I don't know if we have a Discount Tire around here. Sounds like I should check. I need truck tires and shipping is going to be ridiculous!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

miller time

Thanks for ALL the great responses!
Ill say it again WALMART WONT TOUCH MY CAR, theyll only get the rims to peel the rubber off and put new BFGOODRICH RADIAL TAs on, since goodyear doesnt make the right sizes and radial tas are far from "a walmart brand", they do sell REAL tires ya know?

i will try discount tires and get a price from them, But the also WONT TOUCH MY CAR and ive never heard of the other shops, and i dont want online tires too much of a PITA

i have 1 local shop ill trust to TOUCH my car, no $8hr yahoo is doing my alignment! and they wont be doing my alignment while i sit in the waiting room, ill be watching like a hawk, and ill ask for their Best mechanic, i dont care ill pay a little extra if i need to!

my main concern is if they sold 2nds or blems at walmart, because a blow out wont make me a very happy boy

bill440rt

I've bought tires from:
Tire Rack
Tread Depot.com (cheaper than Tire Rack when it came to tires for the trailer)
Diamondback classics
Summit
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

miller time

Quote from: bill440rt on March 31, 2014, 08:29:40 PM
I've bought tires from:
Tire Rack
Tread Depot.com (cheaper than Tire Rack when it came to tires for the trailer)
Diamondback classics
Summit

if i didnt want a warranty i would, but image the hassle it could be if you, say have a bubble in the side wall? could be a month before i get a new tire, pay to remount and the dismount before that, and return shipping im sure, even though theyd probably pay me back, id rather roll up say "look at this, give me a new tire mounted" instead of that other stuff

RallyeMike

I internet shop for the best price, print it out and take it down to Discount Tire. They always match the price and know how to mount and balance a tire properly (at least my local shop does). On top of that, they work with me on the tire manufacture date. I've been going to the same tire shop for 16-17 years for performance tires.

The Toyota gets Les Schwab's (NorWest only?) . Good customer service, good prices, free flat repairs on any tire if you are a past customer.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

jaak

I just go to the local tire shop in the small town I live in (Not a chain store). When he gives you a price it includes mounting, etc.
I bought 4 BFG's (size 235/60/15) mounted and balanced for 540 tax and all. He charged 50 for a front end alignment.

Walmart Tires and service sucks. Around here they are the lug nut stripping kings. When I used to work at a GM dealership, there were customers that came in on a regular basis that needed studs/lug nuts replaced right after buying a set of tires at walmart. Heck even a couple of years back I had a tire blow, and had to get one that night. The only place open that had the size I needed was of coarse walmart, so I bought one tire. About a month later, I was servicing the van, and pulled the front wheels to check the brake pads. I had 3 lug nuts cross-threaded. Had to replace all three.

Jason

bill440rt

x2  :yesnod:

Prime reason I won't go there either, Jason.
I won't trust WalMart with any of my stuff. There are too many tire shops, mechanics, etc around these parts to choose from. I go there occasionally to buy products, not have work done on my cars.

The reason I went with Tire Rack, etc in the past is that had a trusted small-shop mechanic who would do all my alignments, tire mounting/wheel balancing, etc. He was a preferred installer for Tire Rack & I would have my tires drop shipped to him. So, if there was ever a problem I know it would have been resolved quickly. (There never was.)
Well after all these years the town came in & gave him an offer he couldn't refuse for his land, so his shop is now flattened and a new bank is going up. Such is the case for many small owned businesses, unfortunately.

Miller, you're asking the question Where do you buy your tires? If you have your heart set on WalMart then I think you've already found your answer.  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

miller time

Quote from: myk on April 01, 2014, 07:41:05 AM
Why won't some places "touch your car?"

Theyd love too, but Id never give them a chance :D

miller time

Thanks For All The Warnings! BUT
walmarts poor service doesnt matter to me, along as they can mount a tire with out fubar'in my rims
personally i think if your cars worth more then $2,500 your dumb to have walmart service your ride, (their oil doesnt even have the right viscosity from what ive heard)  :Twocents: emergencies are the exception

I havent heard any problems with their tires so i take that as a good sign :shruggy:

im going to hit up discount tire today and see what they say

jaak if i found my tires for $540 id say SOLD SOLD SOLD, because the cheapest ive found is over $600

bill440rt i can recheck tirerack for a local installer and then it wouldnt be near as risky, But im not set on walmart, its the fact id save like $200 from what my local shop wants, and thats Alot for tires that are going to go up in smoke, like i said before theyd only ever see my wheels

miller time

VERDICTS IN

walmart does sell good tires, NOT 2nds or blemishes, i asked my local tire shop and they told me the tires are good, and heck theyd be the ones to benefit if they told me other wise!

So i bought my 2 back tires from walmart, i am going to pick them up, Not installed
and bring them to the local shop, saint lucie tire and battery, to have them installed and i got my front tires from my the local shop since they could get my wacky size i picked and walmart couldnt
so i saved $70 on the back tires would have been $100 but the shop was trying to hook me up
so ill have new tires and an alignment ASAP now

and i got BFGoodrich Radial TAs front 225/60 14 and rear 275/60 15, hopefully theyre fat enough to steer and launch my car