News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

TIG Welder Recommendations

Started by B5 Charger, March 12, 2006, 01:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B5 Charger

I have been looking into buying a TIG welder for my garage.  I don't need a full-on professional unit but I would like it to handle my restoration needs on the '69.  I am looking at getting a Miller or Lincoln.  Does anyone have any recommendations.  This would be my first time using a TIG so I'm sure it will be a trial and error process once I get one.  I just don't want to fork out the money and wind up with a piece of crap.

Drop Top

Any one of the two mentioned would be fine to buy. Check and make sure of the brand name that is used in your area the most and buy that one. This way it will be easier to service when the time comes. Another reasion to choose from those two brands is they have been around along time and chances are they won't be bought out by another company latter down the road.

As far as model goes. With a Tig unit even the cheapest model will be good for sheet metal work. But if you want to get into heaver metal latter like frame repair. Then your going to have to move up a few notches.

mdwyer

We have a few millers at work and they are great to work with, though a few of us have HTP tig units at home. Good service and good pricing. their invertig 210 will cover almost all your needs ferrous / aluminum for around 2000 dollar range. They have smaller tig units but some are scratch start, little harder to deal with and ferrous metal only. Look them up at HTPweld.com. Good luck!

mike

is_it_EVER_done?

B5,

Do you already own a mig? If not, I believe you would be much happier with one. I've only used a tig a couple of times, but for car work, I can't think of a more difficult (bordering on useless), tool. The reason I say this is that tig is MUCH harder to learn than mig. Tig takes both hands and a foot to operate, which eliminates the ability to do it lying on your back, stomach, side, reaching out/up/over, or other contortionist position that is nearly always required when working on a car.

Though I have never tried a tig for patch panels, quarter - floors - trunk replacement, I don't know how it could be done with a tig? Maybe an excellent welder could do it, but for a novice like me, a mig is not only easier, but allows you to back the weld with copper to avoid burn through - something that would be impossible with a tig.

Lastly, tig is SLOW! Maybe an excellent welder can do it quicker, but I doubt it can ever be as fast as mig, and even though tig can produce beautiful welds, don't think for a second that without training, and allot of experience, that you will be able to produce similar welds to the pros, plus even the beautiful welds are not any stronger that mig welds (which just a little practice allows you to produce decent looking welds even if you have never had a lesson in your life - like me).

I'm not trying to talk you out of a tig, just pointing out some things you may not have considered.

69fourspd

:iagree:
You can pick up a lincoln wire feed welder at most hardware/home improvement stores for around 300-400.  Then the gas bottle(c25) will run around 50 for a 3 ft. tank.  This should get you very good results with a little practice.