News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best way to remove R/T stripe?

Started by Wakko, March 12, 2006, 06:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakko

I'm thinking of removing my adhesive R/T stripe.  It's been there a couple years, I figure.  What's the best way to do that?  Heat?  Will it possibly destroy the paint?
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

RTPTRON

Wakko, first off, is the Grand National back on the road?

The shop that painted my Charger last Summer screwed up the new stripe.  Scared the hell out of me.  However, they used a heat gun and took the bad stripe off without harming the new paint.  I don't know the exact procedure but rest assured that removing vinyl stripes is not a big deal if you know how.

Now maybe someone will tell you how.

Troy

Heat is usually pretty effective as long as the stripe is still fairly pliable. Heat a small section and carefully peel as you go. I don't think it works so well after the stripe has baked to the car for 35 years and dried out though. 3M makes a stripe remover and I'm pretty sure it doesn't damage the paint at all. It's probably best to use this or a product called Goo Gone after the heat to get all the gummy residue off the car. Your car is red so you may need to buff it a bit to make the paint match if anything outside the stripe has oxidized.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bill440rt

A heat gun is probably the best way, but be VERY carefull not to blister the paint! It can happen very easily and quickly if you're not careful. Keep the gun constantly moving, do like a 1'x1' section at a time.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Wakko

Yes, the GN is back on the road for now.  The hood is screwed up and needs replacing, the A/C is still out and I don't enjoy driving the car very much anymore. 

The stripe on my car shouldn't be more than a few years old and either garage kept or covered the whole time, so I'm hoping there's minimal or no fading.  I didn't think a heat gun would blister the paint, thanks for the tip.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

austinpalibroda

I worked at a body shop for a while and took manyyyy stripes off of vehicles, like most of you are saying, i as well would use a heat gun, a little at a time, peeling it as you go.
Canadian Mopar Boy.

Telvis

They also make a spray on decal remover. I had some years ago. It works really well. You have to go back and use something to take off the adhesive afterward. You will probably have to do that if you use a heat gun too. I bought it at an automotive paint store. I think it was made by 3M

4402tuff4u

I would vote for the heat gun. I used the heat gun to remove two large company decals on the doors of the pick up I drive. Vehicles that go on the parkway up here in NY are not allowed commercial plates. Just go easy and they come out with no effort. Once you get a corner up, keep the heat on about 6 - 10 inches away and pull as you move the heat gun. You might be able to peel it off in one piece. I would'nt be worried about the paint. I think you can fry an egg on the hood of the Charger in the summer down in Florida, so heat from a heat gun should'nt have an adverse affect on the paint. I would be more worried in using chemicals.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Nacho-RT74

gasoline or any other kind of nafta... that's what it says directions of how to install a vinyl decal and what needs to be care.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

bull

Heat gun or steam cleaner. I don't know if the steamer would damage the paint but I doubt it. The thing that might suck when you're done is that the area where the stripes were won't be as faded as the rest of the paint, if the rest of it's faded at all.