News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird Brake booster - options for repair?

Started by 70Sbird, April 28, 2014, 08:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70Sbird

Got the 'Bird out of hibernation a couple of weeks ago and found my power brakes were not very "powered". Looks like I need a new brake booster. I went through all of the usual auto parts places(Advance, Auto zone, Napa and a couple of local jobbers) but no one had access to one (even though every one have the correct part listed and shown on their websites), OReilly's has one in a warehouse in Missouri, but when it got to my door the part number and box were correct but there was a different booster in the box!
So It looks like I have a couple of options. I have seen new reproduction and remanufactured boosters ranging from $300 - $800 and a few places that will "rebuild" mine for anywhere from $120 and up.
The prices seem to be all over the place. Since this is a component for my brake system I would want to have a quality replacement/rebuild done that will last another 40 years or so.
Any suggestions and who has had this done before? I'm not looking for a concourse restoration, but I do need functionality.
Thanks for your input
Scott

P.S. - Mods, since this probably isn't a Superbird specific issue feel free to move if appropriate.

Scott Faulkner

hemi68charger

Scott,
Try Wayne.. He's the cat I got my complete Hemi-booster from. He's a master.........  :2thumbs:

His ebay store:

http://stores.ebay.com/MOPAR-THERAMMAN-BRAKES

His personal website:

http://www.theramman.com/
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

70Sbird

Guys, thanks for the quick responses,

Troy, The Ram Man is also where the parts came from for the Hemi Superbird swap that I did last year, looks like he wants $650 for a new booster. I'll need to see what he would charge to rebuild mine, and I agree he is a quality supplier.

Mopar Nut, have you had any work done by BoosterDeweyExchange or know some one that has? It looks like he would do it for about $150 (with shipping). That is certainly an appealing price provided the quality is good, and since it is my brakes, I want good quality!

Scott Faulkner

hemi68charger

Quote from: 70Sbird on April 28, 2014, 10:16:13 AM
Guys, thanks for the quick responses,

Troy, The Ram Man is also where the parts came from for the Hemi Superbird swap that I did last year, looks like he wants $650 for a new booster. I'll need to see what he would charge to rebuild mine, and I agree he is a quality supplier.

Scott,
I believed Wayne and I chatted over that when he delivered my hemi booster assembly. I believe he'll rebuild your core original......... Give him a shout.......

The other gent seems to be reputable as well.. You have options.....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar Nut

Quote from: 70Sbird on April 28, 2014, 10:16:13 AM
Mopar Nut, have you had any work done by BoosterDeweyExchange or know some one that has? It looks like he would do it for about $150 (with shipping). That is certainly an appealing price provided the quality is good, and since it is my brakes, I want good quality!
I didn't have a core to rebuild, but I did buy one of his rebuilt boosters about two years ago.  Great work!   :2thumbs:  

Also, I think Passion4Mopar's are rebuilding them to.

http://www.passion4mopars.com/

Pictures below is from Passion4mopars for a 70 e body.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Hoser2455

I had Wayne the Ram Man rebuild my brake booster and he did a nice job.

pettybird

Booster Dewey had a pretty quick turnaround time and it came back looking good.  I haven't installed it yet but I had one done for the B5 car.  I've had a pile of friends use him. 

Moparpoolman

Not to hijack the thread but one quick question, Does anybody know what the minimum amount vacuum required to power the brake booster?  Thanks

70Sbird

mine works (worked)  fine with a measured 10" at idle.
Also keep in mind that typically when you are applying the brakes your foot is off the throttle and you are slowing down causing the manifold vacuum to rise a bit.
:Twocents:

Scott Faulkner

Ghoste

I'm not sure what the minimum is but the cam I had in the 67 didn't have much pull at idle so I can tell you that in the case of that particular car the 8lbs it made didn't leave a lot on the table for a second stab.  If yoou were in a line of traffic and it moved up one car or something so you didn't throttle up but just idled, you needed to put a lot more foot into the pedal to make it stop.

CornDogsCharger

I'm glad that I came across this post. I was getting ready to ask about a Hemi style booster too. The C500 that I'm working on originally had the Bendix "Hemi style" booster but was replaced with an incorrect-appearing booster. We want to put it back the way it originally was. I was looking at a few on eBay and wondered if anyone had experience with the reproduction ones. Of course, function is the #1 concern and #2 concern would be the overall appearance and "correctness" of the booster. What are your thoughts?  Otherwise, we will have to go with a rebuilt original. Thanks!!

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

70Sbird

Just a follow up, I got my rebuilt Booster back yesterday from "Booster Dewey" It looks amazing! They received the booster Monday (5/12) and called on Friday (5/16) to let me know it was done and to get my credit card info. Total with shipping was $185 and if it works as good as it looks I'm happy.
they appear to have stripped all of the exterior and internal parts, replaced the internals, new seals and check valve, then repainted the unit SG black as I requested.
and turned it around in less than a week!
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Scott Faulkner

Mopar Nut

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

70Sbird

Scott Faulkner

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T