News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Modern Bullitt build

Started by keepat, April 30, 2014, 04:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keepat

Not a productive weekend on the charger as I went to Carlisle, but I did spray some hi build primer on the hood and trunk lid today.
Thanks
Pat

keepat

Finally I have removed all of the original paint and primer except for A small section at the center rear valance. She's all prepped and ready for epoxy primer just need the shop to cool off a little.

Jduv10007

That's a tight fit. Good luck. Keep the updates coming.

:popcrn: : :drool5: :popcrn:

mike69440

All I can say is:
Thank you for sharing this build. 

Lennard

Looking great Pat! The beautiful second gen. Charger body lines are awesome to see in those pictures.

keepat

charger chris

i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

keepat

Quote from: Jduv10007 on July 31, 2016, 03:46:16 PM
That's a tight fit. Good luck. Keep the updates coming.

:popcrn: : :drool5: :popcrn:

Yes it is, about an 1 1/2" to spare
Thank you

Quote from: mike69440 on July 31, 2016, 04:03:19 PM
All I can say is:
Thank you for sharing this build.  

Thank you for following along!

Quote from: Lennard on July 31, 2016, 04:27:59 PM
Looking great Pat! The beautiful second gen. Charger body lines are awesome to see in those pictures.

I agree, I never get tired of looking at the lines of a second GEN charger.  It's one of those rare cars that no matter what angle you look at, it looks great!
Thank you
Pat

GT

Looking good Pat...  I seriously wish I was at this stage. soon...

Did you final decide on what to do about side mirrors? 
1970 Dodge Charger ==> V10
2012 Charger SRT8

mike69440

Quote from: GT on August 01, 2016, 10:16:05 AM
Looking good Pat...  I seriously wish I was at this stage. soon...

Did you final decide on what to do about side mirrors? 

I'd love to add my 2 cents here, worth all of maybe 2 cents.

Looks wise, I lean to purist, thus there are some things I'd 'd keep more retro, than just for example the SRT Clone thread dire-verged in a few area, I have wanted to see more original.

Regarding Mirrors, the Heck with retro.

Think Black matching power sport area style power mirrors. Functionality here, but I understand you may just want to stay pure to the Bullitt bad car theme.

keepat

The mirrors will be the original 1968 mirrors, keeping the Bullitt look. But I think GT was asking if I was going to add the right side mirror as the Bullitt Charger only had the left mirror. I'm still not sure, but I plan on driving this car so I may add the mirror.
Thanks
Pat

Ps 2 cents always welcome!

GT

Yes that was my thought on the mirrors (I have a single, and looking at putting duals).  Toying with chrome vs painted.
2012 Charger SRT8

mike69440

Heck, if you go OEM look, stay Chrome.

Details Details! :laugh:

Dino

I still haven't decided if I want a passenger side mirror or not. The glass would have to be replaced  with a convex piece for it to actually be useful but the car may look better with two mirrors.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

comet_666

Wow, this thread is amazing! This car is going to be a masterpiece that's for sure!
I only have 1 mirror and at first I was going to add another one but the only time It would come in handy it is when backing out of garage, on the road I am one of those people who actually turns their head and looks when switching lanes and this has less of a blind spot than my 07 Charger.
:Twocents:

keepat

With the car completely epoxy primed I applied all the seam sealer on the exterior panels, starting with the roof drip rail. After sanding with 220 and a Scotch-Brite pad, l taped both the drip rail and roof to control the edge of the seam sealer. Using a product from 3M called Fast & firm #08505 I tooled it in using my finger and little lacquer thinner to keep i pliable. This Fast & Firm is easy to use and works great for paint or a vinyl top. I saved a small section of the original seem sealer to maintain the same shape.
Thanks
Pat

GT

Very nice - great job.  I was going to shave the drip rails and decided to maintain the chrome.  This will be handy product information.

Any concerns about the primer/paint adherence down the road?   Basically, would you do it any differently for a car without a vinyl top, or maybe even lead in or use some other type of filler material?

2012 Charger SRT8

keepat

Quote from: GT on August 05, 2016, 04:04:24 PM
Very nice - great job.  I was going to shave the drip rails and decided to maintain the chrome.  This will be handy product information.

Any concerns about the primer/paint adherence down the road?   Basically, would you do it any differently for a car without a vinyl top, or maybe even lead in or use some other type of filler material?

I've had great success using it on two other cars, both without vinyl tops. Do not apply over self etching primer or spray self etching primer on it, works well with any primer and topcoat.
Thank you
Pat

keepat

Not much to show the last two weeks as I've been out of town but I did get some more some seam sealer done around the trunk and quarters.
Thanks
Pat

cbrestorations

more great work by keepat...gonna be a killer car

Lennard

I know I keep repeating myself but... looking great.  :2thumbs:

cbrestorations

is that just ur typical seam sealer you used?

keepat

Quote from: Lennard on August 18, 2016, 10:22:01 PM
I know I keep repeating myself but... looking great.  :2thumbs:

Thank You sir!

Quote from: cbrestorations on August 19, 2016, 01:55:32 AM
is that just ur typical seam sealer you used?

The gray color seam sealer is a 2 part self leveling seam sealer by SEM #39387 and the beige color seam sealer is made by 3M #08505.
Both are great to work with but the 3M can be shaped easily.
Thank you!
Pat   

Charger_Fan

I'm sure liking all the attention to detail & thoroughness you are putting into this.  Looking forward to future updates! :2thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

keepat

Finished up 90% of the seam sealer including a lot of areas the factory did not do that I had to use a pick tool prior to priming to remove the stones, grease and grime from the past 50 years. The beige seam sealer is 3M's fast and firm #08505. Easy-to-use, you can smooth out with a wet finger and 2 hours later you can clean up any mistakes with a rag and lacquer thinner.