News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 Charger - Heater Box Removal & Restoration Tips

Started by Shakey, March 13, 2006, 12:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

I am planning on removing my heater box (non AC) from my car soon.   My dash frame will not be removed, my windshield is still in the car and will not be removed.

Can anyone here please provide some tips on the best way to remove this assembly?  How about a step-by-step?

What to look for.  What to look out for.

Any tips on restoring it would also be appreciated.

Below are a couple of pics of what state the interior is in now.  I figure now is the time to do it.

Thanks in  advance.

69chargeryeehaa

oh you got it easy!!!! try changing a heater core in a built car, 1 whole day >:(  basically all you have to do is unhook all the cables for the controls, maybe label them or take alot of pics so you know where everything goes, then from the engine compartment side, there is 2 bolts on the passenger side near the heater core lines, and there's i think 1 on the drivers side, maybe 2 i can't remember.  unhook the heater lines, undoo the screws from the engine compartment, and remove the whole assembly from inside the car.  quite easy at you're stage. ;)  carefull when you take it out, there is a big round seal where the cowl air comes in on the passenger side, make sure you don't rip it.  also when you have the cover off, make sure the heater motor resistors are'nt touching anything or you may loose a speed or two in the blower.  you could just run it off a battery to see if it all works and that the blower is quiet.  there's not much in there and it's perty basic.  good luck.

4402tuff4u

Shakey, brief explanation and steps when I restored my A/C heater box. My windshield was out and I had the dashboard out too. It was a piece of cake to remove. Take many pictures of all angles. They are very valuable when you start putting the box back together. I removed the box, openend the box took photo's, removed the heater core - pressure tested the core. It kept the pressure (15 lbs psi) overnight so it was good. Ran some muriatic acid through heater core and rinsed it several times. Set that aside - lots of junk came out. Sent out the evaporator (I think it's called) to a HVAC contractor friend of mine to get it checked out and pressure tested. Came back tested and cleaned - set that aside. Removed all the damaged insulation on the inside of the box and replaced it with new insulation panels sold in panels at the local hardware store (either the drop ceiling type insulation tiles or the rolled up 1/2" think insulation. I used spray adhesive to attach it to the inside of the box. Lightly sand the box first, clean it, prime it (etch primer), lightly sanded and top coat it with interior black detail paint (satin black). The flaps that have galvanized coating on them I painted with aluma blast just to brighten them up. The rods and diaphragm cannisters I also painted them with aluma blast. The vacuum hoses I cleaned with alcohol. They were in good shape. All the screws I poke them in a box and painted them with aluma blast too.  There is really not much to really restore than just clean, sand and paint. You might want to tape the yellow number stamp from factory on the heater box or have a stamp made and re-stamp it in the same location. I'm having a stamp made.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Shakey

Thanks guys.

Yeehaw - have you shown the guys here how to paint a car for less than $50.00?  I saw the thread on Moparts, that was you wasn't it?

Mike - I was glad you chimed in.  I have been watching your resto and knew you were working on this.  I wish my windshield and dash were out but from the sounds of it, it shouldn't make a big difference.

Thanks again for the tips guys.

69chargeryeehaa

Quote from: Shakey on March 14, 2006, 08:33:17 PM
Thanks guys.

Yeehaw - have you shown the guys here how to paint a car for less than $50.00?  I saw the thread on Moparts, that was you wasn't it?

Mike - I was glad you chimed in.  I have been watching your resto and knew you were working on this.  I wish my windshield and dash were out but from the sounds of it, it shouldn't make a big difference.

Thanks again for the tips guys.

yes, that's me ;D