News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine kicked back at start-up.. This is what happens...

Started by Mefirst, August 08, 2005, 04:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mefirst

Well things havent exactly gone the way I hoped with my ride.. One setback after the other.. I kinda think my ride is posessed by evil spirits..

Anyways, this is the latest news... Tried to start my ride, engine kicked back with starter still engaging.. This is how it ended...

This is what I found...

So now im calling around to try and find someone that can change the starter ring gear on the turbine or rebuild the 3 ring gear teeth in some way..

Life sucks...

/Tom

Charger4404spd

Dang Tom that sux. Backfiring could be the timing out of adjustment, or plug wires crossed.

greenrt_se

Mefirst

Nope, the timing was set in the dyno and the distributor hasnt been messed with after that..

This happend when I started the car.. The starter just engaged, then a "poof" came outtaw the carb and a crunching sound from the tranny. The only thing I can think of is a kickback. I have a hard time beliving that the starter, when it engaged the starter solenoid, made such a punch that it cracked the teeth on the starter gear ring.. But then again weird things happen.. I realy have no idea what happend, Im just guessing...

firefighter3931

That sucks Tom ! Sounds like the engine kicked back on startup while the starter drive was still engaged. Hopefully someone local can fix you up. How much initial timing ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

MoparYoungGun

Sorry to hear about that Tom, hope you get it fixed soon!

Mefirst

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 08, 2005, 12:05:05 PM
That sucks Tom ! Sounds like the engine kicked back on startup while the starter drive was still engaged. Hopefully someone local can fix you up. How much initial timing ?

Ron

Hey Ron.. Yeah, thats what we think to, nothing else would make sense... NOTE! "Kickback" that was the word I was looking for, sorry, its not a backfire so Ill change the topic so its correct English...

Timing was done during the dyno. Its at 38* The engine ran great when I had her running. The idle problem needs to be solved. I had to keep the rpm up to some 1400 to keep it running. The worst part has been that I haven't got to the carb yet, every damn time I'm about to, something else interferes that need to be fixed. Ex. of things, couple of fuel leaks, busted generator, new generator and the pulley not lining up with the crank pulley and needed new spacers, a freaky thing with the signal horn, this is so weird, every time I put my hands on the steering wheel, the damn horn started to "beep". I just disconnected the horn, need to figure that out later.. etc.. etc...

I found a shop that does work on turbines, Ill take the turbine there tomorow.. I also have to get the "Mopar" mini starter rebuilt. I fried the mini starterl earlier.. I used the old starter. I checked both starters and they look the same, and the gear teeth are the same and fit the gear teeth on the turbine starter ring...

/Tom