News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'70 Steering column???

Started by Mopar2Ya, March 13, 2006, 05:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar2Ya

I'm in the middle of rebuilding my steering column on my' 70. My car is an auto on the column so I purchased the 3 hole lower bearing that is listed to fit my make/model/etc. There was no lower bearing or anything at the end of the shaft when I took out the column. The 3 hole bearing doesn't seem to go on my column & the '70 service manual only shows it for the column shift manual. Does anyone know what goes between the steering shaft & the shifter tube if this bearing isn't supposed to? Anyone have a '70 w/auto on the column a& have pics of their lower column? Thanks.

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

wylde8

I rebuilt the column on my 71, and if I remember correctly, there aren't any differences between the years.  On mine, there is no lower bearing.  The shaft is held in place by a bearing at the top near the steering wheel and the steering box coupler on the bottom.  There is a plastic donut shaped retainer that goes between the column housing and the shaft tube, but no lower bearing. 

Oh, the one I built is for a auto column shift car. 

Mopar2Ya

Thanks, wylde8. I believe you're right there is apparently no lower bearing used on the '70- auto column shift cars. I've been all over the net asking everybody. The thing that makes no sense is that year one & other are selling the lower bearing claiming it's for these cars. Mystery solved?  :scratchchin:

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

Mopar2Ya

Year One finally contacted me saying that the bearing is not for the '70 w/auto on column & that they have it improperly listed.

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

wylde8

Mystery solved.  Glad you got it cleared up.