News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

use original fenders or not??

Started by austinpalibroda, March 15, 2006, 12:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinpalibroda

I'm working on my 69 charger and its gonna be a daily or weekend driver at least.  i bought it dirt cheap in pretty good shape and it has the original fenders on it, in mint shape.  i was wondering if i should put fiberglass fenders on instead, and save the originals for later because to the best of my knowledge, they're pretty valuable.  since i'm gonna use this charger as a daily driver, i figured mabey just use fiberglass instead, wont feel so bad if they get damaged and they'll be lighter too i guess haha. does this seem like a good idea, anybody done this before too?
Canadian Mopar Boy.

Blown70

You can use glass but be careful when you drive.  I do not think it will be wrong to want to save the originals.

Also, You will need to make an inner structure for the fiberglass to prevent sagging.

Tom

austinpalibroda

right on, good advice thanks.  fiberglass is cheap and i know a guy or two thats done the same thing as well
Canadian Mopar Boy.

Mike DC

Yeah, a set of original '69 Fenders is getting pretty expensive.  If you're not opposed to running a fiberglass set just on principle then it's a pretty smart idea for preservation of the parts.

You could also dig up a rusty-ass set of steel fenders and fix them up the best you can, storing the clean originals away.

694spdRT

It is funny sometimes to think who we are all saving these parts for? Don't get me wrong as I have a bought stuff "just in case" something happens also. My question would be when would you decide to use the fenders? If you are doing a quick driver resto on the car and plan to do a more complete resto later then it makes sense. If you never plan to use them because they are too valuable then I would sell them to someone for big $$ and use the money to help fix your car up a little better now.   

My other concern is whether fiberglass fenders are any better now? I bought a set of fiberglass '69 fenders a few years ago to build a race car and I would not want to deal with them on a street car unless the quality was a lot better.

Just another point a view to think on.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

austinpalibroda

yeah I dont plan on this being my only charger.  I'm only 19 years old with limited funds.  someday i plan to do a lot more with cars when i can, and hopefully more with the one i have now.  i'll probly save these ones for now and see what happens. they will get used, i'm not the kinda guy to just save stuff and never use it. we'll see what happens i guess!
Canadian Mopar Boy.

bull

But where do you stop with this? Do you pull off all the original stuff and put on a bunch of reproduction parts just because something might happen? It's not like having an extra belt, a quart of oil or a brake hose in the trunk. It seems a bit paranoid to worry about it IMO. Spend a week changing out the fenders and then some schmuck will probably rear-end you.

austinpalibroda

i dunno i guess so. just was curious about fenders. i guess this was kinda a stupid topic to post. i'll just do what i can with the cars for now
Canadian Mopar Boy.

Mike DC

I don't think it's a stupid topic. 

I've had thoughts about the same things.  I also thought about running some more raggedy versions of clean parts I've got.  The grille's center "I" piece was getting pretty dangerous to run a flawless one in the street until they finally reproduced it last year.

austinpalibroda

yeah i suppose so, i'll just take things as they come and see what my financial position is like as i work on the car
Canadian Mopar Boy.

Mike DC

It's one of those things that makes the car less enjoyable to fling around. 

-------------------------------------------------

I really wish they'd hurry up and reproduce a lot more of the Charger's outer skin.  I start getting concerned about anything that I can't buy new and the used stuff has gotten over the $500 mark.

The worst of the pot-metal chrome trim pieces are starting to be reproduced.  That helps.
The front grille plastic is only a matter of time.  I suspect even the front fenders will probably be made within about 5 years, as long as the E-body stuff sells okay.  The repros are never as good as the original parts but at least it's SOMETHING.

austinpalibroda

i wish i new how to make reproduction parts and mass produce them lol :icon_smile_big: we definately know what the market is looking for haha
Canadian Mopar Boy.

AdamMopar

My project is basically on hold due to fenders.  I have a set of glass fenders that came on the car when I got it.   I have thought about putting them on again but haven't brought myself to do it yet.  The set of steel fenders that came with it were junk, I bought another set, they were both junk.  I made one good passenger side fender out of two bad passenger fenders, but both the drivers were to far gone to repair.

I'm holding out on them reproducing fenders but I'm not holding my breath either.  i don't have a lot of time to put into my project at this point and probably won't for the next three years.

Adam

Mike DC

According to Goodmark, they'll look at Charger fenders after the Satellite/Roadrunner fenders are finished (and assuming that they sell okay).  The S/RR fenders will happen after the E-body fenders that they just finished doing. 

Three years?  Sounds about right. 
Maybe more.

AdamMopar

That is good to know, that is about what I had gotten on a time frame.  Adam