News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

search for users that are geographically close

Started by 68charger440, June 10, 2014, 09:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68charger440

Is there a way to search for users who are geographically close?  Say within the same city or state?  It would be nice to make contact with local charger owners to help each other in person with projects.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

Troy

Not exactly. First, not everyone provides a location - which is apparently a much bigger deal to certain people than everyone else. Second, there's no way within the forum software to allow searching on this field (it's free form text any way so people could format the location any way they like - or enter bogus info). We had a Map add on a while back but it was very buggy. Someone tried to make an external map but I don't think it went over very well. The new version of our software has a much better mapping utility. I just need to get around to upgrading. Some people have suggested regional boards within the forum but it spreads things very thin and we have very few moderators. It's not really practical for us.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

68charger440

Quote from: Troy on June 11, 2014, 09:14:46 AM
The new version of our software has a much better mapping utility. I just need to get around to upgrading.

Troy

I wonder if after you upgrade it might be worth a try to ask everyone to update the city/state and explain the reason why.  I know many won't do it, but with assurances that it is not a big brother thing and just a way to connect users it may be worth a try.  Its all in how you frame it!  ...and who knows, it may re-kindle the Mopar fire for some inactive users.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

Alaskan_TA

The best bet for local contacts is at local shows.

The internet is huge & not everyone wants others to know what they own & where they live.

68charger440

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on June 13, 2014, 08:09:41 PM

The internet is huge & not everyone wants others to know what they own & where they live.

It can't hurt to try!  People in rural areas don't have local shows.

70 sublime

Quote from: 68charger440 on June 13, 2014, 08:27:16 PM
Quote from: Alaskan_TA on June 13, 2014, 08:09:41 PM

It can't hurt to try!  People in rural areas don't have local shows.

Hey 68charger440

I just looked up your profile and you do not list your location  :icon_smile_tongue:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Alaskan_TA

Hidden email address too.  :shruggy:

68charger440

I never saw a reason to show my email, location etc, but if a good enough reason arose I would.  that is why I say it can,t hurt to try.  It's not like it requires reprogramming the site, it's just a matter of a mass email asking people to update their location if they are interested in finding users close to them.  And they don't have to give a complete address, just the city and state.  They probably would not even have to give the email address either.  They could just communicate through the dodgecharger.com site. For me it was just me being lazy and not filling out all of the fields when I registered.  Also a blanket email to all users once in a while reminds people you are out there and increases the use of your site.  just a thought...

BIGBLCK11

Those are all possibilities.  The easiest way would be to start a new thread titled "Any members in my area?  NameYourTown, State or regional area".  Any members that are up for it, can post or p.m. you.

68charger440

Quote from: BIGBLCK11 on June 14, 2014, 12:06:15 PM
Those are all possibilities.  The easiest way would be to start a new thread titled "Any members in my area?  NameYourTown, State or regional area".  Any members that are up for it, can post or p.m. you.
That would only be seen by those who happen to see it while browsing.  That is surely less than one percent, and I would guess that it would be closer to one in a thousand who ever even see that thread.

BIGBLCK11

Very true.  But, right now, it is zero percent.  The number of people who post is pretty small, when compared to the number of registered members.  Of those, you would have to look at active members.  I think that is your potential target audience.  I am not sure a mass email would nudge an inactive member to come back online to post their location, but I guess you never know.  As others have posted, your own location is not listed(even if just being lazy).  This thread has had 111 views, if you add it now, you may get a response in this one.  I am one of those apparently different people who do not list location.  That is why I suggested a post, I would rather opt to reply to you vs. being sought out(other than by a p.m. or in a thread).  Just my :Twocents:.

68charger440

I will post my location just to correct my lazyness.  Just as an easy experimnt It would be interesting to see how much of a bump in activity on the site a mass email of this nature would produce.  It would take less time than the bantering that we have done on this topic already. :-\

BIGBLCK11

No problem.  Just tossing out suggestions, in the spirit of an open forum.  Only ONE person can decide on the email suggestion.  My idea was to help without the need for it.  It may increase the traffic, may not.  I get a semi-frequent email from another Mopar forum, but it has yet to sway me to log back on.  For no reason, just mainly on this forum.  I am waaaaaay East of you or I would have been happy to meet up at a cruise night.  I am sure their are some Mopar brothers out your way!   :2thumbs:

Some members have also added their location under their profile pic.  There is a place for "Personal text:" in your profile.  I.E. The dots under my avatar.

68charger440

There are a few out here, but when I go to the local shows around here it is pretty rare to find any Chargers.  For that matter all mopars are pretty scarce out here.  I wonder if mopars are just that rare everywhere or is it just here?

BIGBLCK11

I think that is a common thing elsewhere too.  I definitely see less Mopars and even fewer to no Chargers.