News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Make your jack.

Started by billssuperbird, June 11, 2014, 06:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billssuperbird

If any one wants to make there own scissor jack and handle there is some on eBay under used scissor jack :hack: :paint :buff: eBay numbers. 131213131713 / 121350576478 / 251551444276

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

gymratt30

wow, thanks for the info.... I just bought the jack Handle, ....white birds was rusted beyond saving.
thanks again.
"2 superbirds sittin side by side"

steve817

Hello, I have a real daytona, however, need the jack(s), handle, bar, etc. Would these work for a daytona? Thanks, Steve

billssuperbird

daytonalo

Thanks for the heads up and after reading that another member bought the handle I looked around on ebay and found this one for 38.00

billssuperbird

Wingnut426

The jack on E-bay is good for a clone car, NOT for a real Daytona.  The E-bay jack is a two ton jack, has thicker side bars, thicker threaded rod with a coarse thread and incorrect rivets, which makes the jack squat too low in the down position.  Find yourself a 1 ton jack to modify!  Wingnut
HEMI Daytona Convertible

billssuperbird

billssuperbird

I found this old eBay add on a handle 231111732986 he still may have it.

Moparpoolman

Quote from: steve817 on June 11, 2014, 11:28:33 PM
Hello, I have a real daytona, however, need the jack(s), handle, bar, etc. Would these work for a daytona? Thanks, Steve
If you have a real Daytona and are looking for an exact repro jack I suggest that you contact Wingnut, He makes a reproduction jack that is identical to an original and won't hurt your wallet compared to the price of an original.  :2thumbs: Get one while he's still making them. :Twocents:

nascarxx29

I have this it would need its feet cutouts weld locator pin on top.Ive sold real daytona jack for $3K .Repos are way less expensive
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

r4daytona

Thats just like the one on ebay - which is what I used for my jack.  Sorry purists, I can't afford a real one.  It's good enough and close enough for display purposes.

daytonalo

EXACTLY MY VIEW !!! FYI PEOPLE DIRT NAP AROUND CORNER FOR MOST OF US !! WHO GIVE A SHIT IT THE RIVETS ARE INCORRCT ON A JACK !! WHEN WE DIE  OUR ESTATE WILL SELL OUR CARS FOR PENNIES ON THE DOLLAR , FACT !!!!!

Y1CHARGER

Quote from: daytonalo on June 13, 2014, 10:19:48 PM
EXACTLY MY VIEW !!! FYI PEOPLE DIRT NAP AROUND CORNER FOR MOST OF US !! WHO GIVE A SHIT IT THE RIVETS ARE INCORRCT ON A JACK !! WHEN WE DIE  OUR ESTATE WILL SELL OUR CARS FOR PENNIES ON THE DOLLAR , FACT !!!!!
This doesn't make any sense to me, If the feelings expressed in the above quote are true then I really have a hard time understanding what you are doing in this hobby anyway.  I'm sure others will agree.  If you really don't care what jack you have in your car then why are you looking for something that is close to original, throw a floor jack in your trunk and call it a day.  SO, for those of us that ARE looking for something close to original, why not get the closest you can possibly get, after all that's the goal of every aftermarket part.
As for the pennies on the dollars part, most of us would sell ahead of time or leave our valued possessions to loved ones that will appreciate them in the future. "FACT!!!!!"

held1823

interesting twist on this topic, for a variety of reasons.

one person owns a restored daytona, and isn't sweating the fact that his car does not have a ridiculously priced original jack in the trunk. the jack that he has would pass inspection by 100% of people not totally immersed in wing car nuances, and even a majority of those who are. i doubt fifty people here could correctly identify the differences between an original daytona jack versus the one he is using. close, in this case, is good enough.

the second person is building a clone, and agrees with the daytona owner; the jack detail is simply not what makes the hobby worthwhile. having a 100% correct appearing scissor jack, especially in a replica, is not worth the exorbitant cost, and likely WOULD return pennies on the dollar later on. close, in this case, is good enough.

the third person doesn't agree with those perspectives, which is totally within his right. close, in this case, is not good enough.

my perspective would likely make this third person's blood boil. i have a one owner daytona, and when it is finished, i could not care less if it has suspension paint daubs and date coded parts on it. the car is more likely to pull the trailer, rather than ride in it. it does still have its scissor jack, but i don't see me spending a small fortune to restore the jack. does that make me an even bigger stain on the hobby?

for some of us, this is not a hobby. it's a forty-five year love affair with these cars, one that would not change even if it did turn dollars into pennies.

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

nascarxx29

The differences I recall from the real scissors jack .Fine thread tapered end shaft collar bearing size secured by cotter pin base feet cut out welded on locator pin and rivets

held1823

dave, you would be one of the fifty.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

r4daytona

Quote from: nascarxx29 on June 14, 2014, 03:30:06 PM
The differences I recall from the real scissors jack .Fine thread tapered end shaft collar bearing size secured by cotter pin base feet cut out welded on locator pin and rivets

Bill (billssuperbird)  Took a jack just like that, cut the feet, welded the button, installed the cotter pin and painted it for me.  Looks awesome.  If someone is that much of an ass to stick their head that far in my trunk to check the threads and rivets to pick it apart - I'd probably slam the trunk on their neck.   Some people just don't seem to think about circumstances before they slam something.  Like I said before, I'm a single guy helping get my daughters through college so i don't give a flying fuck if my threads or rivets are incorrect.  If people are that concerned, then give me a jack or don't look at my car if it isn't up to par.

UH OH, I have the wrong wheel weights installed on my car!  Oh, wait, I DO HAVE CORRECT wheel weights for my car but I didn't install them because I don't want to loose them and you won't see them anyway. 

That jack on ebay is fine to represent a mostly correct jack.  Better than not having one at all! :Twocents:

69_500

Quote from: held1823 on June 14, 2014, 03:46:24 PM
dave, you would be one of the fifty.

Guess I might as well lump myself in that group of 50. I will say Geno is one too. Considering me and him spent the better part of two hours looking at a Daytona jack at Carlisle one year.

held1823

lol, danny. i originally typed twenty people, not fifty, and you/gene/dave would be three of that twenty. my point is exactly the one tom has made; the attention paid to the jack is borderline insanity. heck, i've been around these cars since day one, and i wouldn't count me in the twenty.

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

1970Moparmann

Quote from: held1823 on June 14, 2014, 02:37:20 PM

for some of us, this is not a hobby. it's a forty-five year love affair with these cars, one that would not change even if it did turn dollars into pennies.

The phrase of the day....  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Ever since I bought the Bird, the perceptions of my life by others is crazy.   Family members, friends, neighbors.   Great quote! :cheers:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

nascarxx29

Dug it out today found another handle.Will check on rate for Western Pa

BROCK

WOW.....I'm glad there are people with the sort of disease that would
have them study a jack for 2 hours.  We need that sort of attention to
detail in order to preserve history :yesnod:
I'm also glad for the ones that just want to pull a boat behind their car. 
The ones that cause the biggest stir are out in the real world among the
general population :popcrn:

It's a way of life or it's a hobby :shruggy: It's what we would find ourselves
doing if we were independently wealthy.  Some enjoying the cars & others
enjoying building them or hunting parts or whichever part of it all that you
find yourself doing.  Enjoy :cheers:

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

billssuperbird

I have found a lot of the wing cars don't have the two jacks in them. We're did the all go.  :shruggy: