News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Decal Dimensions

Started by Bowers, June 27, 2014, 10:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowers

Anyone know if these dimensions off gearheaddiva are accurate

Decals & Markings on the General Lee
The markings found on the General Lee include the "01″ on the side doors, the Confederate Flag on the roof top and the "General Lee" lettering above the doors. The majority of the cars had their flag and numbers painted on, but there are now vinyl decal kits available for purchase online.
Keith Winfree, owner of one of the nineteen remaining General Lees from the TV series, provided these measurements for the markings located on his authentic General Lee. All measurements are overall and include the white outline unless otherwise noted.
"01″ Door Numbers
[two_third]
The white outlines around the numbers are 1/2″ wide.
The height of the numbers is 19″.
The width of the "0″ is 13-1/2″.
The center of the "0″ is 11″ high by 5-1/2″ wide.
The width of the "1″ at the base is 11-1/2″.
The bottom edge of the numbers is 2″ above the bottom edge of the door.
The front edge of the "0″ is 13-15/16″ from the front edge of the door (driver's door).
The rear edge of the "1″ (center of the number, not the base) is 12-5/8″ from the rear edge of the door (driver's door).
[/two_third] General Lee Door Numbers
Confederate Flag
[two_third]
Length of the flag is 53-1/2″.
Width of the flag is 39-3/16″.
The flag is centered on the roof from left to right.
From the center of the front edge of the flag to the windshield chrome is 4-1/2″.
From the center of the rear edge of the flag to the rear window chrome is 4-1/4″.

Mike DC

The stuff on Keith's site like 10 years ago was not entirely accurate.  I don't think it has changed since then.

Here's some really basic ballpark stuff to work with.  Won't match every car in every show, but it should get the car into presentable range:

The door numbers are 19" high (total) with 1/2 wide outline.  
The black parts of the numbers were 3.5" thick.  
I think the 0 was 13.5" wide and the 1 was 11.5" wide in the later shows, but I'm not positive about those widths off the top of my head.  
The corner angles were 35 degrees.  
The shaping of the hole in the middle of the zero varied a lot, especially in the later seasons.  It was often not even symmetrical.  But whatever you do, don't totally square off the corners of the hole.  

Spacing:  putting the numbers 2" above the bottom edge of the door works.  The rest of it varied, but you can eyeball something within range of what they were doing.  On the driver side, the top of the 1 was always at least a couple inches ahead of the door handle, and the 0 stayed behind the door scoops.  

The flag was roughly 52-54" long (depends on the season) by 39" wide, total.  
The white bars around the edge were 1" thick.  
The bars (and their outlines) varied a lot in thickness depending on the season.  But the bars tended to be on the thin side compared to the standard Confederate flag image.

Spacing:  Draw a line across the top of the roof at the upper/rear points of the windshield chrome trim - the flag's front edge is about 1" forward of that.        

The GL lettering was spaced pretty consistently right over the door glass.  It was placed parallel with the sides of the flag, not the roof guttering.  

Bowers

Thanks Mike,
We should be starting the convert on Monday! Will start a new thread with pics  :2thumbs:

Mike DC

There are a few people making good decal sets, getting things down to specific seasons.  You might wanna look them up.  Check out the "Confederate General Lee Fan Club" if you haven't done that already.  

Bowers

I have spoken to Chad at CrzyC's and his stuff looks incredible however I am in Northern Ontario Canada. Trying to buy local to help our fellow local businesses. MaximumRecoil was also gracious enough to share his designs.

JB400

Better do some research on how they make your decals.  Some of the flags that people have had made up are prone to fading over time.

Bowers

Thanks Ghoste,
We sent our Vinyl guy over Chad's recommendation on Cast High Performance Vinyl and one layer. They assure me they can do this proper. We plan on clear coating over the decals so that should eliminate any fading and peeling.

JB400

Glad to hear you're aware of the problem :2thumbs:

BTW, I'm not Ghoste, but I guess I can share credit with him  :lol: ;)

Bowers

My apologies JB400  :cheers: Read too many sites this morning. Much appreciated!

Ghoste

Lol, no need to send any credit this way JB, I know nothing about GL's and not afraid to admit it.

comet_666

MaximRecoil

There are no accurate dimensions, because the General Lee graphics varied throughout the series. So, you can either pick a series car you like and copy it exactly (which can only be done with access to the car, or good pictures, or complete and accurate measurements), or you can just get it in the ballpark for a given era.

What I do is find a screenshot from the show that I like and that is usable, and I make a vector drawing based on it, correcting the geometry, spacing, and symmetry in the process, like this early-to-mid era style flag based on a screenshot from "Diamonds in the Rough":

Then I only need to know one real-life dimension to resize the entire thing to the ballpark size.

I might improve that flag drawing a bit, now that I think about it. I believe that the white borders end up about ΒΌ" too thick when the flag is sized to the ~right width, and I never got around to correcting that (I made that flag drawing a few years ago). They should be 1" even.

Mike DC

Those Valuzet-era flags were about the closest to the classic image of the Confederate flag.  Small flag with thick bars.  The later flags were more a bit more rectangular and noticeably thinner bars. 

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 27, 2014, 09:21:02 PM

Those Valuzet-era flags were about the closest to the classic image of the Confederate flag.  Small flag with thick bars.  The later flags were more a bit more rectangular and noticeably thinner bars. 

Yeah, I've drawn both:

Early-to-mid series, late series, and the standard rectangular version of the flag for comparison. The standard flag has a wider aspect ratio, thicker blue bars, smaller stars relative to the thickness of the blue bars, and no surrounding white border.