News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Impressive body work

Started by Gary42, March 17, 2006, 08:59:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary42

I cannot say much more then, impressive when it comes to the body work being accomplished on my 72 Rally restoration. I live in AR, not originally from here, just down the road from Larry Roper (Hotrod). If not for him, I can honestly say I am not sure where I would be in this process so far, a huge debt and gratitude for him and his expertise so far.
The guy that is performing this miracle: JOHN VOZEL, an impressive warrior that works for Larry and has been in this business for many years.
My car was originally from MO, but bought it from a dealer in MN about a year ago, so if you are from the northern part of the US I need not say anymore. After making the final agreements, the resto has begun. John started by assessing what he had, or at the very least thought he had. After removing the drivers' side quarter panel, is when the real challenge for him had begun. Come to find out the drivers' side and drivers' rear had been hit pretty hard in an accident at one time, and the person that did the outer body work did an excellent job of hiding what was really wrong.
Here is what is planned:
Removal of full quarter from drivers' side first, cut out and replace upper superstructure, with parts from the donor car. Cut out and replace frame over rear wheel, as it had been buckled at one time, remove entire trunk section, from behind rear seat to the tail panel, as it too had a bow in both the floor section and tail panel. During this process, John will also replace the section just in front of the wheel well and behind the rocker panel, as it too has been totally rusted away. The spring shackle will also be replaced, as it had been beat on pretty good and rusted away over the years.
This is only the first step in many to come, as John will be doing all the welding and replacing of any trouble areas. Then will come the passenger side, those updates will follow.
I owe a huge debt and gratitude to Larry for getting me this far, as he was the driving force in leading me in the right direction on this and future projects to come. To John Vozel for putting up with me so far, I ask too many questions of him sometimes. If ever there was a guy to accomplish this task, it would be John. The price is right and will not leave me broken and have to halt the restoration process.
I will keep you all updated and have pics posted,
Thanks
Gary
1972 Dodge Charger, Rally edition
2010 Dodge Challenger, Rally package
"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest."

- Mark Twain

doctorpimp

Sounds like you're on the right track!
Keep us posted ;)
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

Gary42

- Mark Twain

doctorpimp

Still looks to be decent for a northern car.  Typical rust issues.  Shame about the accident repair: insurance claim money goes to the lowest bidder :down:
What are your plans for the car?
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

Gary42

I know what you mean about being decent, as I am origionally from the NY area. I retired from the Army in 2002 and decided to stay here in AR, as far away from the salt as I could :yesnod:
As for the car itself, I plan on a full restoration, will a spell on the rotisserie, and then keep it as one of my toys. My future plan after this one, is to find a good 69 Charger and clone it into a Daytona that is with much assistance, patients, and advice from Hotrod.
So for now I look forward to having this car on the road sometime next year.
Gary

- Mark Twain

wylde8

Thats a ton of work, but it looks like its coming along nicely.  I see a lot of people complain about something as insignificant as a small hole in the quarter or something.  Those people obviously have never dealt with a car from up north.  Its a lot more work, but thats what most of the stuff in that area looks like. 

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Gary42

A ton of work is putting it mildly, and rusty is about right, but one thing I can count on is this: John said from the beginning that the road will be rough and long, but he would not even think of repairing this car if all I wanted was just a quick job. He is the type of guy that will not attempt anything if the job is not going to be done to his perfection.
This car will be entirely rust free when he is finally done, so I guess that I can count on having it for sometime to come. There is not many matching numbers Rally Chargers around, and this one is worth every penny I will eventually spend on getting it done right. John is a highly sought after guy for this type of work, so with his schedule it takes a bit longer but the end results is perfection.
Gary

- Mark Twain

terrible one

Cool deal man. What a couincidence, I'm in AR as well, and my Charger is from MO. Where in AR are you?

SeattleCharger

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Gary42

Now thats funny. I live just outside of Ft. Smith, in the town of Greenwood. The ideal size, around 7500 people.

- Mark Twain

BigBlockSam

wow man, lotsa work. i think i'm gonna move closer to Larry too  :yesnod:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Gary42

One true thing to remember when it comes to living close to Larry, there will never :rotz: be a dull or wasted moment when it comes to his Mopars :yesnod: and helping as many people as he can

- Mark Twain

BigBlockSam

i couldn't have built any of my cars if it wasn't for the help of my friends and wife
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Gary42

Between my wife keeping me grounded and Larry making sure that I keep myself and my projects on the right track, I guess I would yet be another lost soul  :'( trying to fit in with the big boys and their toys :yesnod:

- Mark Twain

hotrod98

Quote from: Gary42 on March 17, 2006, 11:02:13 AM
My future plan after this one, is to find a good 69 Charger and clone it into a Daytona that is with much assistance, patients, and advice from Hotrod.
Gary

Everyone around me wants to build a wing car now...I love it.     

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

RallyeMike

I have always passed on cars with major rust issues.  My hat is off to guys who have the will to tackle rust buckets.  It takes a lot of patience, and if you farm out the work, a lot of bread. Good luck with your project.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Gary42

Passing on a car that may or may not be that rusty is always a mistake. Had I taken advantage of this long ago, I would not be looking for the cars and parts that i am looking for now. The funny thing is this: every body and their brother is buying/selling anything they can drag out of a junk yard, and it always ends up being another mans treasure.
Money comes and goes and if we do not enjoy life and spend as much of it as we can while we are here, what good would it do us when we are too old to enjoy it?
Buy as many cars as you can while you are young, drive as fast as you can get away with, and just enjoy watching another mans junk become your treasure.

- Mark Twain

BigBlockSam

eat drink and be merry for tomorrow, we die.   :cheers:

Gary42

Could not have possibly said it better myself, cheers :yesnod:

- Mark Twain

73Charger

Seems like the Dukes are about to pop in on this discussion and yell Yeeeeee Haaaaa!  :devil:

Who cares about a little rust as long as they RUN!  :icon_smile_big:

I admire guys who can do all that great body work. 

I'm still a babe in the woods in this field and do much of my rust fixin' with "you know what"  :-[

So far, when I pull out the welder, I just seem to make things worse.  :-[

Good luck on that project, and I'll keep learning here. :-)
1973 Charger SE 318 060 over, edel 1405, added elec choke, Mallory CD Ignition, Hdrs, to Dual Ravin Exhaust, Go-Wing
Restoring for cruising. I drive her during the summer.

Gary42

I am totally gettin ya on that one, as the last time I even touched a welder I made a bigger hole then I had origionally started with. I attempted to use rods and a MIG welder, and all I got from each one was a sore wrist from pulling them off the metal I thought I was welding.
I have decided to leave that job to the big boys like John, as he is one of the best around here, as long as Hotrod is not around. Hotrod is like all the other big Mopar guys, too many cars and even more work then he can possibly handle. I am sure that if he did not have so much work and so little time, I possibly could have convinced him to lend me a hand. I only wish I had known him earlier in life, as he could have showed me a trick or two in the game they call welding.
I bought this Rally for one reason, I liked the way it looked and the bonus was it really runs good. I can picture in my mind the end result, so to wait for the end finish will and is a breeze.
Rust? Who sees rust? I see a numbers matching, Hemi Orange, bad ass ride that no one around here has. Heck if I were better lookin I wouldn't need such a bad ass ride to turn heads :pity:

- Mark Twain

The Ghoul

I will never call my car rusty again!!!
Im so impressed im not even going to stur up the whole 'is restoration to this point re-body' argument... Im just blown away by whats going into this job!!
aces all around