News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hotchkis Sway Bar / TVS Users: HELP

Started by familymopar, August 05, 2014, 02:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

familymopar

Ok, so after contemplating gutting my suspension for a while, and then a while longer of collecting parts on the living room floor, it is done.  But not without issues.

So I didn't do a whole TVS system.  I did Hotchkis sub frame connectors, Hotchkis front and rear sway bars, Hotchkis torsion bars, and Hotchkis (Fox) shocks.  I paired that with Firmfeel upper control arms, strut rods, ties rods, a front end rebuild with all poly bushings.  I did not do leafs because mine were about 10 year old MP 1" drop springs that I thought were in pretty good shape.

Once all of the above was complete the car drove great.  I was really excited.  As a matter of fact, I immediately felt limited by my 235-60-15 Radial T/A's.  But though it drove great, I noticed two things right off the bat.  1) the car now had a lean on the driver's side, 1" front and rear when measured, and 2) that front sway bar is so low.  I have hit my headers on some steeper gas station drives before, and the sway bar is definitely lower.

We took another look at those leaf springs I had not replaced.  Though I was skeptical, it was the general opinion that they were causing the lean.  The driver's side leafs seemed to be "separating" some.  So I bit the bullet and ordered the Hotchkis 1" drop leafs.  Once they were on the lean was indeed gone.  Sat perfectly even.  However, the leafs compounded the sway bar problem.

Those 1" drop leafs (that replaced my 1" drop MP leafs) dropped the rear of the car at least an additional two inches.  Ok, the front of the car had to be lowered to bring it back to how it should look.  Honestly, I LOVE the lowered look of the car now.  I think it looks great.  But it is a drastic difference for going from 1" drop leafs to 1" drop leafs.  

So now the car sits even and is sitting at a great looking height, the highest height obtainable on those springs.  But that sway bar is now about 4 inches off the ground.  I can not go over speed bumps and can not even get on my driveway without hitting.

I think that we can take the brackets off the old MP leafs and use them with the new Hotchkis leafs and maybe gain an inch, but that will not do much to solve the problem, and again, I do love the current look.  So I need to deal with the sway bar.  One thing that came to mind was whether I have the front sway on correctly, and if I do, if it can be switched upside down.

The front sway as I have it has a dip in it towards the ground in the middle.  It reads "Hotchkis" the correct direction.  I am wondering if I can flip it over, where Hotchkis reads upside down, and make that dip go upwards.  I am not positive there is even room to do it, but I think there is.  That or fab some lower profile brackets maybe.  And my approx. 26.3" tire could go up some with a new tire and wheel set I suppose, but not that much.  I'd need to over 28" to grab an inch in height.

Has anyone had similar problems?  With the Hotckis materials, my car is as high as I can get it (without having the front end higher than the rear, anyway).  So I figure someone else has to have run into this.  Thoughts?

If y'all did not have this issue, what total diameter tires are you running?  Did anyone install the front bar where "Hotchkis" reads upside down?

In the pics below, the first two are the car on a lift after everything was done but before the leaf install.  The last picture is everything done, including leafs.  That bar is very, very low.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

familymopar

Quote from: Troy on August 05, 2014, 02:33:33 PM
I believe most of the ones I've seen installed have the lettering upside down. Let me look around...

Troy

That would explain a lot and I appreciate any info.  Would still seem too low but would definitely be a big help.  If that is the case, that the lettering should be upside down, then I wonder if it should be that way on the rear as well?  And why the heck would Hotchkis design it to be read upside down?

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

bill440rt

The bar is upside down. Flip it around (hump goes over K-frame bracket).
Order another decal from Hotchkis so it reads correctly.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: familymopar on August 05, 2014, 02:38:47 PM
That would explain a lot and I appreciate any info.  Would still seem too low but would definitely be a big help.  If that is the case, that the lettering should be upside down, then I wonder if it should be that way on the rear as well?  And why the heck would Hotchkis design it to be read upside down?

Rear bar is correct, it sits low but not enough to interfere with anything.

Flipping the bar should help with any contact issues. The bar can be installed either way so the decals are just thrown on. My 69 is lower than Hotchkis recommends and with the hump over the k member bracket I have never hit the sway bar on anything. Headers is another story though   :lol:

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

MSRacing89

I believe most of the ones I've seen installed have the lettering upside down. Let me look around...

Troy

That would explain a lot and I appreciate any info.  Would still seem too low but would definitely be a big help.  If that is the case, that the lettering should be upside down, then I wonder if it should be that way on the rear as well?  And why the heck would Hotchkis design it to be read upside down?

I believe the instructions actually tell you to install in it with the loop down.  We NEVER ran it that way, very dangerous.  Flip it over and you will be fine.  Even the Hotchkis B-body has it flipped, as he was bouncing it off the ground as some of the events we were at.  Leave the rear bar as is.

Oh.  Don't expect the grease fittings to last very long!!  Mine have sheered off at least twice now.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.

myk

Congratulations on your upgrades!  As for having to dread speed-bumps and scraping the ground, it just comes with the territory of having a car that is intended to handle.  All of my 90's muscle cars and now my Hotchkis equipped Charger will scrape some speed-bumps and what not unless I take it at the proper angle.  Oh, and I know you're still debating wheels and tires, but going to a wider wheel diameter will complete your upgrades...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

familymopar

Quote from: myk on August 05, 2014, 09:13:40 PM
Congratulations on your upgrades!  As for having to dread speed-bumps and scraping the ground, it just comes with the territory of having a car that is intended to handle.  All of my 90's muscle cars and now my Hotchkis equipped Charger will scrape some speed-bumps and what not unless I take it at the proper angle.  Oh, and I know you're still debating wheels and tires, but going to a wider wheel diameter will complete your upgrades...

Thanks myk, and for being one of those talking me into it!  You were right, as was everyone else, it is night and day and well worth doing.  I had driven the car less than 15 minutes before I had absolutely decided to upgrade wheels and tires.  Now is the tough part, which ones!  I am back to debating between 17"s and 18"s, but I intend to have new wheels and tires sooner rather than later.  It clearly must be done.

As the bar was, it wasn't a matter of scraping speed bumps and such.  A normal speed bump would have ripped the thing apart.  I mean, it was really sitting low.  Thanks to the advice here, I have flipped it over and all is better.  Now I need to be careful over speed bumps, but I will make it!

See photos, and thanks to all for the input!

I flipped the front bar and it is much better.  I flipped over the decal as well.  I left the rear alone although I had it on its tightest fitting and I put it on its loosest, where I think is better but I am open to input.

Still low, but very do-able now.  And new wheels and tires still may give me a half inch or so.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

familymopar

I forgot to add the photos...

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

familymopar

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on August 05, 2014, 04:08:22 PM
That would explain a lot and I appreciate any info.  Would still seem too low but would definitely be a big help.  If that is the case, that the lettering should be upside down, then I wonder if it should be that way on the rear as well?  And why the heck would Hotchkis design it to be read upside down?

Rear bar is correct, it sits low but not enough to interfere with anything.

Flipping the bar should help with any contact issues. The bar can be installed either way so the decals are just thrown on. My 69 is lower than Hotchkis recommends and with the hump over the k member bracket I have never hit the sway bar on anything. Headers is another story though   :lol:

White and Red 69 - I have been smacking my headers on everything since I put them on, and that was with the car sitting much higher.  I will just have to be more careful now, as myk said, its the price you pay!

Quote from: MSRacing89 on August 05, 2014, 04:10:54 PM

Troy

I believe the instructions actually tell you to install in it with the loop down.  We NEVER ran it that way, very dangerous.  Flip it over and you will be fine.  Even the Hotchkis B-body has it flipped, as he was bouncing it off the ground as some of the events we were at.  Leave the rear bar as is.

Oh.  Don't expect the grease fittings to last very long!!  Mine have sheered off at least twice now.

MSRacing89, I imagine these are the fittings you are talking about!  I flipped the bar and on the maiden drive back up my driveway I lost them.  I am going to figure out something else to do because I was very careful coming up the drive, that has no incline just a bump from the flat street to the flat drive.  I can put them on as many times as I like and they will never make it over that bump.  The driveway is seriously a little bump, smaller than any speed bumps around here.  They are just not going to work, unless I want to keep the Charger in the street.  Which is not happening.

Again, thanks to all!!!  And thanks Troy for the quick chime in, as soon as I saw the GL on the other thread I left the office and went home to deal with it. hence so long responding back to everyone.

I am going to try to post before and after pics to see the height difference, although I don't think the photos illustrate it near as well as trying to get under it.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

familymopar

Quote from: myk on August 05, 2014, 10:03:56 PM
Hey what headers are you running?

I am running Doug's (Petronix) full length headers.  2" primaries and 3.5" collectors into a 2.5" system with x-pipes and cut-outs.  The Doug's part is D452.  Here is a link to the headers:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dou-d452

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

familymopar

Before and after...

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

dangina

curious, are you running stock torsion bars?

familymopar

Quote from: dangina on August 06, 2014, 12:44:25 AM

I am running Hotchkis 1.03" torsion bars.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

bill440rt

Quote from: familymopar on August 06, 2014, 10:36:21 AM

Familymopar, when did you purchase your torsion bars?
I ask as Hotchkis recently changed them to 1.10". The 1.10" bars replaced the 1.03"s a couple years ago.
I just went thru this. I've purchased their shocks & torsion bars, & I'm only one step away from their upper control arms to start installing these goodies.
Their website states they are 1.10" bars, but when I got them the box label stated 1.03". I called Hotchkis to question this. Seems they never changed their box labels. :yesnod:  :lol:

The differences are:
1) The 1.10" bars will be powdercoated (vs painted).
2) The logo will be silk screened on (vs decal).
3) The instruction insert also states they are 1.10" bars.

Just thought you'd like to know. Better check those bars!  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

myk

Quote from: familymopar on August 05, 2014, 10:09:10 PM

I am running Doug's (Petronix) full length headers.  2" primaries and 3.5" collectors into a 2.5" system with x-pipes and cut-outs.  The Doug's part is D452.  Here is a link to the headers:

How good of a fit are those headers?

familymopar

Quote from: bill440rt on August 06, 2014, 01:29:49 PM
Quote from: familymopar on August 06, 2014, 10:36:21 AM

Familymopar, when did you purchase your torsion bars?
I ask as Hotchkis recently changed them to 1.10". The 1.10" bars replaced the 1.03"s a couple years ago.
I just went thru this. I've purchased their shocks & torsion bars, & I'm only one step away from their upper control arms to start installing these goodies.
Their website states they are 1.10" bars, but when I got them the box label stated 1.03". I called Hotchkis to question this. Seems they never changed their box labels. :yesnod:  :lol:

The differences are:
1) The 1.10" bars will be powdercoated (vs painted).
2) The logo will be silk screened on (vs decal).
3) The instruction insert also states they are 1.10" bars.

Just thought you'd like to know. Better check those bars!  :cheers:

bill440rt,

Thanks for the heads up!  I just looked at all the sites and Classic Industries, where I bought them, still list them as 1.03":

http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/parts/h19367.html

So I went over to the Hotchkis site and they do now list them, under the same part number, as 1.1" bars but I am certain that just a couple months ago when I ordered them the Hotchkis site still said 1.03":

http://www.hotchkis.net/forged_torsion_bars_be_body_models.html

Ironically, I chose the Hotchkis bars over the Firm Feel's because I thought (have been told) that 1.06 may just be a bit too stiff, but I wanted more than 1", so the Hotchkis was the compromise at 1.03":

http://www.firmfeel.com/b_body_mopar_torsion_bars.html

So I just went out to the car, which is back on the ground and very low.  I can't really tell if the bars are painted or powder coated, although they feel painted to me, for what that's worth.  The Hotchkis logo definitely does not feel like a decal though.  And like I said, I only ordered these 2 or 3 months ago.  Maybe I do have 1.1" bars on there!  If so, then my original reasoning was no good, because they feel great to me!

Thanks for the info!

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

familymopar

Quote from: myk on August 06, 2014, 01:46:54 PM

They are a good fit.  I would buy them again if I needed new headers.  And they look great.  They are a real pain to get on, but they end up fitting just fine, for me anyway.  I wish I had taken install pictures, although they would be blurry from beer and cursing.  I am happy to take some photos of them on now if you would like....

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

familymopar

Quote from: familymopar on August 06, 2014, 01:53:01 PM
Quote from: myk on August 06, 2014, 01:46:54 PM

They are a good fit.  I would buy them again if I needed new headers.  And they look great.  They are a real pain to get on, but they end up fitting just fine, for me anyway.  I wish I had taken install pictures, although they would be blurry from beer and cursing.  I am happy to take some photos of them on now if you would like....

myk, I forgot to mention my only real disappointment with the headers.  The headers themselves fit and look good. But I really want to do a fast ratio pitman/idler set up on the car.  But that set up will not work with these headers.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

fy469rtse

Myk
to big for yours my friend, 2 Inch primarys, 3.5 inch collectors, these run under steering linkages I'm guessing ? , that puts them closer to ground because they have to run lower than normal to clear steering ,
i would only look at these for drag racing purposes only, not pratical for bumps and stuff of normal driving,
could you guys post a phot side on to show how low they hang
Myk, you do what i did , buy the uncoated set 1 7/8 primarys, tried the 2 inch on dyno with little differance, find an exhaust place willing to do a liitle work to them , i found plugs six and five to be an issue, i also modified pipes around steering box and worked more clearance around the starter motor, once your happy with fit , there taken back out fully welded and the you can do your choice of coatings,
but in saying all this, if you dont have the means to do it , it will cost, so save you penny's and put a Set of TTI's on , end of story, the best fit bar none 

familymopar

Quote from: fy469rtse on August 06, 2014, 08:44:16 PM
Myk
to big for yours my friend, 2 Inch primarys, 3.5 inch collectors, these run under steering linkages I'm guessing ? , that puts them closer to ground because they have to run lower than normal to clear steering ,
i would only look at these for drag racing purposes only, not pratical for bumps and stuff of normal driving,
could you guys post a phot side on to show how low they hang
Myk, you do what i did , buy the uncoated set 1 7/8 primarys, tried the 2 inch on dyno with little differance, find an exhaust place willing to do a liitle work to them , i found plugs six and five to be an issue, i also modified pipes around steering box and worked more clearance around the starter motor, once your happy with fit , there taken back out fully welded and the you can do your choice of coatings,
but in saying all this, if you dont have the means to do it , it will cost, so save you penny's and put a Set of TTI's on , end of story, the best fit bar none 

As requested, some side shots.  I added a can in there for perspective.  The headers are probably 1/2" lower than the sway bar bracket now.  If I still had my zerk fittings, I think the bottom of the zerk would be just about where the bottoms of the headers are.

I get up the drive just fine, have gone into some parking lots with a nice grade drive without problems.  On steeper grade drives I have always hit my headers so I am sure I will whack them good now.  Haven't needed to cross a speed bump yet but I suspect I will scrape them.  And I have maybe 2 mm clearance between the header and the torsion bar.

See pics:

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

myk

Wow that is loa.  Looks awesome though!

bill440rt

Familymopar, good pics. I can tell those are the 1.10" bars, they also started printing the part number & L/R on them. Those are not decals on yours. :2thumbs:
Good to know, I have them sitting here waiting in the box, my box is also marked 1.03" & the instructions state 1.10". Hotchkis did confirm they were the 1.10"s. Hopefully I can order the control arms soon & start swapping out.

BTW, as a TTI user I can attest they do not hang nearly as low.  :yesnod: