News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wheel and tire options on a 500

Started by C500, August 17, 2014, 03:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C500

Hi guys, what do you think were the most common wheel and tire options for a 440 Charger 500, from the factory? Steel wheels with dog dish caps and redlines?

I have repro 15" steel wheels, dog dish caps, plus a set of Polara/Monaco wheel covers that were issued as a replacement for the Kelsey Hayes wheels.

cheers,

Duncan
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

69_500

Road wheel, and dog dish are the two most common I have as far as what the broadcast sheets call for. Hemi cars though, there was a huge batch at the beginning that wre all coded for the Kelsey Hayes wheels. I do not have a broadcast sheet for a 440 powered car that is coded for them however.
Probably 90% of the sheets I have access to for 440 cars are for road wheels, or dog dish. I wish mine was a dog dish car, I love that look.

tan top

:popcrn:   picture from Barrys awesome site , Hamtramck historical  :coolgleamA:

69 charger wheel options
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

C500

Quote from: 69_500 on August 17, 2014, 07:09:51 AM
Road wheel, and dog dish are the two most common I have as far as what the broadcast sheets call for. Hemi cars though, there was a huge batch at the beginning that wre all coded for the Kelsey Hayes wheels. I do not have a broadcast sheet for a 440 powered car that is coded for them however.
Probably 90% of the sheets I have access to for 440 cars are for road wheels, or dog dish. I wish mine was a dog dish car, I love that look.

thanks for the replies, I think the dog dish caps look great too, especially with redlines. What tires would be the most common with dog dish caps?
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

odcics2

Quote from: 69_500 on August 17, 2014, 07:09:51 AM

:iagree:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Ghoste

The tires would be mostly F70-14 and I'll guess red stripe?

C500

Quote from: Ghoste on August 17, 2014, 09:37:43 PM
The tires would be mostly F70-14 and I'll guess red stripe?

thanks Ghoste. Once the Goodyears wear out, I'm going to wrap a set of those on. Still some work to do before then to get her roadworthy.

5hunert

Quote from: C500 on August 17, 2014, 03:59:47 AM
Hi guys, what do you think were the most common wheel and tire options for a 440 Charger 500, from the factory? Steel wheels with dog dish caps and redlines?

I have repro 15" steel wheels, dog dish caps, plus a set of Polara/Monaco wheel covers that were issued as a replacement for the Kelsey Hayes wheels.

cheers,

Duncan

Isn't this a 1970 sheet?

charge69

To C500:  Gotta think you posted a picture of a 1970 sheet also! If you have your build sheet, it will tell you what came with your Charger.  The T-U-V block will have the code. Mine has code "U65" which is F70-15 Redline.  

The Hamtramck Historical sheet picture leaves out a picture of the full wheel covers that were available in 15" size as an option for Hemi cars.  I have looked all over the "net" for a picture of the brochure that shows them but it has disappeared. I know it was there (maybe even the Hamtramck site) but I cannot find it any more. This is, obviously, an early brochure picture that still featured the recall wheels. Later brochures had the wheel covers.

The Hemi Super Bee that won the award for best overall MOPAR at Carlisle this year has them installed. I copied the picture to my computer so, here it is!!!

Ghoste

Was it one of the press release photos maybe?  (thats what I'm thinking anyway)

charge69

As I remember seeing it, it was a picture just like the pictured Hamtramck Historical brochure with all the other options on it. It even had the same steering wheel options pictured.  I think Hemigeno might have even posted it in an earlier post but, it is gone now.  Oh well.

C500

Yes, that is a 70 bulletin, thanks for putting up the 69 one  :2thumbs:

UFO

charge69

Hey, UFO .....  That is the Wheel cover I have !!  Thanks for that and I will save that picture!   Out of curiosity, do you have the print date of that brochure?  My Charger's SPD is 314.

Thanks again,   Carl

UFO

Ghoste

The 69 Data Guide on my desk here doesn't show it either but this copy has to be an early one since it has the recall wheels in it instead of that wheel cover.  I have another copy that I need to check now for my own interest if it has the cover or recalls but in either case I'm sure it won't have a printing date either.

charge69

Just a shot-in-the-dark possibility for the printing date anyway.  This one, showing my wheel covers, is, obviously, a second printing at best with the "re-call- wheels" brochure being the earlier one printed.

Thanks again,   Carl

P.S.   Sorry for the slight Hi-Jack of the thread although this information actually applies to 500's and Daytonas as well !

UFO

What is interesting is the page for the charger 500 has the recall wheels.That page (charger 500) was mailed at a later date since it has a crease along the tab.

charge69

That is interesting about the re-call wheels for the 500.  You never know about Mother MOPAR's intentions but I really doubt the "re-call wheels" could be ordered on ANY type of Charger once they were officially re-called.

Must have been just some leftover brochure pages that were already superseded.

Ghoste

Its also possible the 500 page while in fact was mailed, was mailed after the first run of guides went out and then that page just swapped in with some newer ones.  After this many years unless you were the original sales manager gettting these things and you had photo recall memory there is just no way to tell.
I do agree that there were none sold after the recall.

charge69

I guess anything is possible on this. I do find it ironic that the Hamtramck Historical site doesn't show the page with the wheel covers although the re-call wheels were only available for a very short period of time early in the 1969 Model Year run.

C500:  When I get off my lazy azz, I will post a picture of my Charger with the redline tires and wheel covers installed.  I do not have a lift and my stroke has left me weak and uncoordinated on my left side making this a rather major project!  I still need to get it done. Seeing the '69 Super Bee with them installed does inspire me to get it done.

hemigeno

Brian, I think that's the first time I've seen your Data Book sheet with the 1968-style W11 Hemi wheel covers.  You mentioned it in a thread years ago, but I don't remember seeing it before now.  Neat piece.  All of my '69 Dealer Data books (I think I have 3) all show the recall wheels.  Here's the quote from the earlier thread:

Quote from: UFO on November 12, 2008, 07:45:51 PM
You guys got me checking my data book, I have the full wheelcovers like the facts page Chris posted but it is definitely not done poorly.
Yet the page with the charger 500 has the recall wheels,talk about messing with the sales people.

... and the link to the thread where we discussed C500 wheel options:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,50536.0/all.html

Quote from: UFO on August 19, 2014, 11:29:25 AM
What is interesting is the page for the charger 500 has the recall wheels.That page (charger 500) was mailed at a later date since it has a crease along the tab.

None of my Data books have a crease on the tab for that page, so that could be a characteristic of the version you have and not the earlier style (which came with the recall wheels on the wheel option page).

:shruggy: :Twocents:   :cheers:

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

charge69

Just checked my build sheet again and on the bottom right under "W  WH/COV  W" it shows the codes W11 for the wheel covers and W25 for the wheels.  All my wheels (all 5 of them) that came with the Charger are date-coded in Jan. 1969. Again, with a SPD of 314, they are, most likely, original to the car.  Certainly no reason to believe otherwise.

UFO

Here's the full page.
The 500 page, when I saw the tabs my first thought it was added later.If Chrysler sent out revised pages you would think more would be around.Maybe the version I got was sent to a dealer that opened later in the model year.
It get's stranger when you add Chrysler Canada stuff into the mix.The charger 500 was listed in Canadian print ads(magazines,newspapers). Yet the fast facts binder has no mention of the 500 at all.