News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Green69rt's paint work

Started by green69rt, August 18, 2014, 04:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

green69rt

Cutting and buffing in the Houston summer heat is no fun, but I got it done.   I tried to take a closeup of the top of the driver quarter to compare to my earlier post but I don't know if you can tell a difference.  I can, all the trash, orange peel and most other defects are gone.  Still some dimples and very light scratches here and there.  

Pic#1 is the closeup of the quarter.
Pic#2 is the whole car.  Even my wife thinks it looks better and she thought I was crazy for going thru this step.

I ended up using the wool pad on each area 3 or 4 times (like Hemi-Hampton said) before moving on to the next step.  Using it just once left more fine scratches in the paint then I could tolerate.

Thanks to all of you for helping me through this difficult process, especially to Hemi-hampton, Patronus, Charger-Bodie and CDR.  I wonder how it would have turned out if you hadn't chimed in.

green69rt

So now I need to do a little research on here to figure what paint to  use on the tail panel.

JB400

Looks good, and yes, we can see the difference just by looking at the sail panel area. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

cdr

it looks AWESOME !!!!!!  if it where me I would get a qt of summit hot rod black single stage, it is a catalyzed paint & very durable. others will have a different opinion.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

hemi-hampton

"I ended up using the wool pad on each area 3 or 4 times (like Hemi-Hampton said) before moving on to the next step.  Using it just once left more fine scratches in the paint then I could tolerate.

Thanks to all of you for helping me through this difficult process, especially to Hemi-hampton, Patronus, Charger-Bodie and CDR.  I wonder how it would have turned out if you hadn't chimed in."

:2thumbs: Looks nice now. Glad I could help. LEON. :2thumbs:

timmycharger

green69rt

Quote from: cdr on August 01, 2017, 08:09:39 PM
it looks AWESOME !!!!!!  if it where me I would get a qt of summit hot rod black single stage, it is a catalyzed paint & very durable. others will have a different opinion.

Did you use the satin or matte?   Black primer underneath?

cdr

you should be able to just sand the clear & paint on the hotrod black.  Satin
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

green69rt

Quote from: cdr on August 23, 2017, 08:25:57 PM

OK, I got the clear sanded.  Something wrong with the Summit web site, couldn't get their paint but Eastwood has the same so got a quart of theirs.  Thanks Charlie.

cdr

Quote from: green69rt on August 24, 2017, 07:35:17 AM

OK, I got the clear sanded.  Something wrong with the Summit web site, couldn't get their paint but Eastwood has the same so got a quart of theirs.  Thanks Charlie.

dont forget the activator.

green69rt

Quote from: cdr on August 24, 2017, 07:43:24 AM
Quote from: green69rt on August 24, 2017, 07:35:17 AM

dont forget the activator.

Yeah, bought a kit with paint, catalyst and some reducer.  About $70 shipped.

green69rt

Got the tail panel looking like I want.  I used Eastwood's Satin black.  I thought the satin was still too glossy so I wet sanded with 1000, then 1500, then 2000  to get even more of the gloss out.  I stopped at 2000 because the paint was really smooth and still mostly flat.  Looks pretty close to me. (pic #1)

I think I'll put the tail trim on now.  (pic #2)

And, forgot to mention, put the door and trunk gaskets on.  I rolling now!!

timmycharger

cdr

just asking, is the black supposed to go past the outside of the trim ?

green69rt

Quote from: cdr on October 26, 2017, 05:26:52 PM

Good question.  I just assumed it went right up to the quarter extension.  There is a little space between the chrome trim and the tail panel extension.  I painted mine black.    Is that the space you're talking about?

cdr

Quote from: green69rt on October 26, 2017, 09:18:46 PM
Quote from: cdr on October 26, 2017, 05:26:52 PM

Good question.  I just assumed it went right up to the quarter extension.  There is a little space between the chrome trim and the tail panel extension.  I painted mine black.    Is that the space you're talking about?

yes

igozumn

The tape line should be under the chrome eyebrow trim.   

For reassurance that what I know to be true, is true (and having just spent 3 days reading most of Geno's build thread), about 1/10 down the page and also about 3/4 down the page:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48725.1175.html
A man walks into a psychiatrist's office wearing nothing but underpants made from saran wrap.  The psychiatrist says, "Well....I can clearly see your nuts...."

green69rt

Quote from: igozumn on October 27, 2017, 03:09:38 PM
The tape line should be under the chrome eyebrow trim.   

For reassurance that what I know to be true, is true (and having just spent 3 days reading most of Geno's build thread), about 1/10 down the page and also about 3/4 down the page:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48725.1175.html

Yeap, I see it.  Nothing I am willing to do about it now so it's going to stay the way it is till next paint job (if that ever happens.  ::)  )

igozumn

It may not end up looking that bad, as it might end up looking like just a continuation of the gap between the trunk lid and the chrome trim/tail panel. 
A man walks into a psychiatrist's office wearing nothing but underpants made from saran wrap.  The psychiatrist says, "Well....I can clearly see your nuts...."

green69rt

Quote from: igozumn on November 03, 2017, 09:38:01 AM
It may not end up looking that bad, as it might end up looking like just a continuation of the gap between the trunk lid and the chrome trim/tail panel.  

Yes, you almost have to squat down and look in that particular spot to see it. 99.9% of folks won't look and most of those won't know it's wrong.  I have been looking around on this site and I seen several other cars that have made the same mistake.  I'm not going to spend any worry time over it.

darbgnik

Quote from: green69rt on November 03, 2017, 10:05:54 AM
Quote from: igozumn on November 03, 2017, 09:38:01 AM

Yes, you almost have to squat down and look in that particular spot to see it. 99.9% of folks won't look and most of those won't know it's wrong.  I have been looking around on this site and I seen several other cars that have made the same mistake.  I'm not going to spend any worry time over it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the "correctness". I did the blackout treatment on the tail light panel of my 70, that never even had that as an option. But that's the way I wanted it to look.
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html