News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Questions about 74 Charger SE

Started by workworkwork, August 19, 2014, 04:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

workworkwork

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on August 31, 2014, 12:39:14 PM
Bob, these seat panels are availabe from Vans on ebay... $225. They are the ones were being sold by Mopar metroparts, now out of bussines. Those are the ones I got in white ( posted on 3rd gen board ). They are the ONLY NICE PANELS available for our cars... And they exist because are the same used on E bodies... I hope SOMEDAY IN THE FUTURE will get same manufacturer making door panels to 3rd gens, and FORGETT about Palco(dashtop ) and AccuS**T pieces of crap!!!

Yes, That is where I purchased the seat backs. VansAuto. I have purchased a few other items from them and so far everything I have purchased I have been satisfied with.

workworkwork

Well the fun never ends when you buy an old car like this. The verdict is in from the Dodge dealer near me. Here are all the things they told me over the phone:

1) The seal on the transmission pan and one other seal (can't remember which one) are bad and leaking. Need replacement.
2) The rear brake lines actually have a hole in them and need new ones fabricated. Rear wheel cylinders and shoes also need replacing also.
3) The idler arm was coming apart and the car was not safe to drive. Apparently a must fix it now item.
4) The kickdown linkage was missing altogether.
5) The k member body bushings are falling off the car. Apparently completely rotten. Shop doesn't think they are available. Anyone know where to get these?

The joys of buying a car that the place I bought it from says "no worries we did a 74 point inspection and the car is in great shape and ready to drive anywhere." They are having a laugh.

Ghoste

Yeah, used car dealers sure like to live up to their reputation don't they?  Fortunately, that stuff is all relatively easy to fix although not necessarily at a dealer where everyone is used to working on new stuff with parts as easy to get as walking to the counter.  Not to mention shop rates.

Pete in NH

Hi,

Welcome to the joys of owning a 40 year-old car!

As Ghoste said,  a new car dealer is not the best place to have this kind of work done. The labor rates alone will be expensive. You might want to ask around and find a small local independent shop. Even so, the cost of owning an old car can be high if you have shops do all your work. Not to mention many of today's mechanics have little idea how to deal with your cars old technology. This is a good opportunity to get a factory service manual and some tools and start to learn about your car. You'll find plenty of help here.

ODZKing

Well, let's see what we can find for you here.
Brake lines, I wouldn't fool around with - http://finelinesinc.com/1971-1974-dodge-charger

Rear wheel cylinders and shoes can be got at NAPA so don't let them tell you otherwise.

Idler Arm 3402583 also still available from NAPA Part Number: NCP 2683589 - Product Line: NAPA Chassis Parts $92 if you want stock. If you were going to go with a Firm Feel steering box or something like that, get it from them.

Kickdown linkage, maybe one of the members here has a set or EBay as long as you know what you are looking for.
I'm sure someone here can post pics so you can compare and have an idea.

As far as k member body bushings, there are a lot of isolators, shields and bushings uder there.  Which ones? Everyone calls them something different - so a diagram or pictures would be helpful.
And believe me they can be found somewhere, don't worry.

Don't let it get you down because believe me, it can and I've been there.  It'll all be good in time.   :2thumbs:

workworkwork

The bushings are large and somewhat rectangular. I saw them when I changed the oil that they were in bad shape with one falling off. They are about 2 inches by 3 inches. They are located just behind and to the inside of where the front wheel well is located and they are low along what looks to be part of the frame. I can't get a picture because the car is still over at the dealership. I decided to let them fix this round of issues with the exception of the bushings because they said they can't get them. But you are right. They gave me a price of about $1900 which seems like a lot of money for this amount of work. That would be to fix the first 4 items on the list but not the bushings.

That may cause me to delay getting the paintwork / body work done as I was not expecting to spend nearly 2k for basic mechanical repairs.

ODZKing

These?

ODZKing

It's called a "Body Hold Down Isolator" 3466584 is the bottom - 2 required but the same and there is one above it you can't really see. 3466587 is the other (also 2)
Parts Voice says CollectorsAutoSupply.com in OROVILLE, WA 98844 has them. 800-414-4462 they don't list a price but that place isn't cheap.
Try Silke's Auto Parts Inc. Jacksonville, FL (800-997-7998) as well, he is much more reasonable.
While on the phone, just ask them to describe the part to be sure that is what you need.  Things get bagged wrong all the time ... just double check.

workworkwork

Yes the ones in the picture look like the ones that are falling apart. Although only one side had a metal shield like I see in the pictures. The other side didn't have that smaller metal shield that seems like it is part of that bushing sandwich. I will look at those two sources. This diagram is useful. Thanks.

Ralph

workworkwork

They have this set on EBAY. Are these the same ones I would need for this?
This is the description and picture:

MOPAR B-Body Polyurethane Sub Frame Body Mount Bushings

Polyurethane Sub Frame Body Bushings

1973-1979 MOPAR B-Body

Charger, Coronet, Satellite, GTX, Roadrunner & Superbee

Why Polyurethane?
Polyurethane is an ideal material for performance suspension bushings. Don't get us wrong, rubber suspension bushings are a proven compromise, however in a performance situation additional horsepower, plus size tires and all mix with normal atmospheric conditions and undercar grit and grime to stress rubber bushings beyond design limits. Polyurethane bushings are firm enough to control movement and maintain alignment in sway bars, control arms, and other stressed suspension components without the harshness or resonance associated with solid metal suspension bushings.  We believe that after experiencing the precise steering, road feedback and the added firmness polyurethane bushings offer, you'll never go back to rubber bushings.

ODZKing

Yes, only the driver side has the shield.  It is the starter splash shield although it is called something else in the picture.
3462965 and is called Cross-member support lower splash shield. Left only 318, 400 in 73, all engines in 74.

As far as the EBay auction, shame you would have to buy all that stuff but I guess if you are going new with some, may as well do them all.
Minor difference in shape but that would be them.

workworkwork

Quote from: ODZKing on September 03, 2014, 06:01:39 PM
Yes, only the driver side has the shield.  It is the starter splash shield although it is called something else in the picture.
3462965 and is called Cross-member support lower splash shield. Left only 318, 400 in 73, all engines in 74.

As far as the EBay auction, shame you would have to buy all that stuff but I guess if you are going new with some, may as well do them all.
Minor difference in shape but that would be them.

Awesome. I am amazed at how much you guys know about these cars. I am glad I am sharing this journey and getting some great info. I am also very glad that these parts are available. There are moments of depression that come on where I think what have I gotten myself into. But the folks her have helped to snap me out of it and get me back to the dream of driving this car around in its full glory.

Daytona R/T SE

When changing those K member isolators, be sure to check the K member for rust.

It's not unusual for the K member to be completely rusted out where the isolators mount. :Twocents:

workworkwork

I hope that is not the case. If it is rusted out there I imagine that would be a very big deal. What can be done if it is rusted out there?

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

workworkwork

Got the car back this evening from the dodge dealer. Brakes work now. The brake light is off that was on the dash. The steering works. So, the new idler arm and alignment must be ok. Doesn't pull to either side. The kick down linkage must work. I accidentally squealed the wheels leaving the dealership. Hopefully the transmission is all buttoned up. Didn't have any problems with on the way home. Now its time to start tackling more of the cosmetic issues. I have new arm rests so that might be another job for the weekend. I will post pictures as I work on them.

I wish we had another 4 months of Summer. 

workworkwork

Some updates for the 74 Charger SE. Feels a little more like my car after working on a few more things. Got the console fixed up. Got the drivers mirror on. Replaced the arm rest witha reproduction.

workworkwork

Here are the armrest replacements and side mirror.

VegasCharger

That shifter bezel looks sweet  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Great progress :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Ghoste

workworkwork

The chrome mirror is like a funhouse selfie. It kind of makes me look like I am having a baby.  :hah:

Charger74

I was just thinking also, if you had to replace the k member isolators, you might want to check the torsion bar bushings as well.   If nothing else, might help stiffen things up.

workworkwork

Quote from: Charger74 on October 14, 2014, 04:23:14 PM
I was just thinking also, if you had to replace the k member isolators, you might want to check the torsion bar bushings as well.   If nothing else, might help stiffen things up.

I do have to replace the k member isolators but I have not done that yet. I will look into the torsion bar bushings. This car is full of hidden surprises. This is sad but true. I found a piece of white duct tape hanging down on the drivers side. I pulled on it and it came off in a big section of duct tape where it had been painted over with a black undercoating to make it look like the rest of the bottom of the car. In reality is was covering up a hole about 10 inches by 5 inches. You could probably put your foot right through the floor on the drivers side. I am almost afraid to look under the car again. I am going to have to get this car into a body shop and have the floor pan replaced. I will get them to do the bushings at the same time. When you look at the pictures is looks so nice

Charger74

Ouch on the hole.  That is always the fun of some of these cars.  Never know what someone has hidden from you.

74bluecharger440

pistal grip shifter would look good in the new chrome