News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Road Trip to Alaska-Coffee Table Book Finally Done-thanks Cody Cole!

Started by taxspeaker, August 24, 2014, 08:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwitrev

Quote from: taxspeaker on June 23, 2015, 11:15:45 PM
After 3 hours of stop and go, needing gas, overheating, and more I finally got out of this miserable place! On the other hand so far this has been a fantastic trip. The day's log is posted on the other website, here is a picture on the Dan Ryan in Chicago at 6:15 pm. Minor oil consumption and fuel leak at fill up but no issues enough to stop things.
I spent last night in brandon Manitoba Canada tonight in Saskatoon do you still think you will make Saskatoon tommorrow
if it was easy anyone could do it

joining the list my cars group
69 Daytona
70 superbird
66 charger
60 corvette
63 corvette split window
tesla S
96 bronco
10 aston DBS
64 DB5
59 custom cpe deville
TR4
lotus super 7
GTD40
32 roadster and coupe
62 nova57 chev 210 hard top

taxspeaker

Yes on schedule for tomorrow

taxspeaker

Looks like 1:00 pm-how does that fit?

kiwitrev

Quote from: taxspeaker on June 24, 2015, 09:09:16 AM
Looks like 1:00 pm-how does that fit?
I can definitely do that my bird was not cooperative so am in a rental
can you email me a phone number so we can workout where to meet up
remember I am heading south so earlier the better but I really do want to see your car and take about it
trevor

69 Daytona
70 superbird
66 charger
60 corvette
63 corvette split window
tesla S
96 bronco
10 aston DBS
64 DB5
59 custom cpe deville
TR4
lotus super 7
GTD40
32 roadster and coupe

Arnie Cunningham

Hey Bob,

I sent you a message but will post here as well.  I am in the Bismarck area.  I am not sure which route you are taking to get to Minot but if you go north out of Bismarck on Highway 83 I will probably be in the area.  If you have any issues I know Mopar people around the State.

My phone number is 701-226-4192
Brennan
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

taxspeaker

Trevor my cell is 502-552-5161
I will be stopping tonite in Minot about 6 hours south
I keep frying ecm's but now only 100 miles from Fargo
There is a live map on www.superbirdnorth.com
Thanks
Bob

cdr

Hey Bob, I am with you in spirit , what you are doing is so awesome!!!! :2thumbs:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

taxspeaker

Today represented the biggest mileage date planned for the trip with about 780 miles covered. After stopping yesterday evening in Madison, WI, I ate at the Hampton, checked all fluids, belts, tires and made a visual check of the car. I then reinstalled the GoPro cameras. I was able to get the tail camera working after talking with Ryan (takes a picture every 5 seconds), but again the always on video camera recorded nothing. I filled up at a nearby gas station and got rolling around 7:15. About 9:15 I saw my first bear=-about 25 miles east of Eau Claire, WI-dead on the side of the road. No question it was a bear though. I have now traveled 1614 miles since Monday morning and arrived at Minot hotel at 9:45 pm as planned, just a bit later.

Mechanical-oil consumption is averaging about 1 quart per 400 miles. I am not pleased with that, but it is not getting worse, and with the rear end gears the car's mighty 440 engine is turning over 3,000 RPM's at 65 mph, so I can live with it. I didn't bring that much of the special oil though, so I will have to stop at a car parts place and see what I can find. There are no other fluid leaks (or issues), belts, tires and visual inspection looks good. Water temp is good except that Chicago mess.

I hit a huge thunderstorm outside of Fargo-no leaks but I have determined that the wiper arms are both mounted 2 notches too high-if I ever get somewhere with an arm removal tool I will quickly fix them.

I blew the radio speaker out with the new radio trying to hear it above the road-so no radio for 8,000 miles. Ryan told me about an app I can listen to on the phone if I have cell service.

After my 2nd fill up this morning when I got back on the highway the car died. I steered to the side with no power steering or brakes, thought about it a minute and replaced the electronic control module, which solved the problem. Then after the next fill up I hit the highway and the same thing happened. It is too much of a coincidence to have 2 fail. The engine compartment heat is so high that it is overheating the ECM's I thought, so I just swapped out the cooled one from the previous incident-fixed! Now I am swapping the ECM's at each stop-not a big issue, but frankly I need to move where it is mounted on the firewall and cannot do that until the trip is over because of wiring changes. Maybe in Canada it will not be as hot. Interesting that the 2 real mechanical issues are coming from modern stuff rather than 45 year old stuff.

Mileage is still averaging around 13-13.5 MPG. Weather was pleasant in the morning around 65-mid 80's during 11-3:00, then comfortable again after the storm. I got pictures for the 1,000 mile odometer reading and at the Fargo Moorhead visitor center. Picture takers, movie makers, honkers were beyond count and I have had 1 guy call it a Firebird, 2 guys a Road Runner and 1 guy who said he had one without a vinyl top. (Interesting since they ALL had vinyl tops). This is fun. After 3 tough days I still love this car. What do I miss most about the newer ones? In order: cruise control, comfortable seats, A/C and sound system.

Early start tomorrow-I am hopefully crossing the border with no issues then another 700 mile day. I am supposed to meet Trevor in Saskatoon who also has a Superbird-he wants to see the car and talk and I can hopefully be there by 1:00pm with a 6:30 start. Scenery again won't be much until Friday. My anniversary is tomorrow too, so I will be sure to call my wife. Thanks for reading, Bob You can see the live location at all times when there is cell service at www.superbirdnorth.com

held1823

epic adventure. thanks for taking us all along
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

kiwitrev

I stayed in brandon last night am in Saskatoon tonight brandon to here was a bit slower than I expected lots of road buiding in Canada and the speed limits are lower

69 Daytona
70 superbird
66 charger
60 corvette
63 corvette split window
tesla S
96 bronco
10 aston DBS
64 DB5
59 custom cpe deville
TR4
lotus super 7
GTD40
32 roadster and coupe

winged69

I met up with trevor in Saskatoon. Give me a call and I will meet you with a Daytona. Kelvin 306-491-7047

taxspeaker

Will do-border crossing in 15 miles hopefully no slow down

Arnie Cunningham

Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

kiwitrev

Quote from: taxspeaker on June 25, 2015, 08:06:54 AM
Will do-border crossing in 15 miles hopefully no slow down
sorry I missed you but having done what I came for yesterday and waking up early  unprompted I decided batter to start the drive back to ls angeles earlier so I could break it into four legs instead of three and have a bit of time each day for sightseeing

69 Daytona
70 superbird
66 charger
60 corvette
63 corvette split window
tesla S
96 bronco
10 aston DBS
64 DB5
59 custom cpe deville
TR4
lotus super 7
GTD40
32 roadster and coupe

stripedelete

Had to drive an Isuzu NPR with no radio 1800 miles.  Grabbed a modern  RadioShack version of the good old handheld transistor radio, some clearance sale earbuds and some batteries.  $18 later I was on the road with tunes.

Safe travels!

taxspeaker

First-once again thanks to everyone for the kind comments and suggestions. I have given up on the radio-where I am going tomorrow there is no radio and worst comes to worst I can turn on the phone app. Here is the update

First both GoPros worked today, should be some great shots of the car show in Saskatoon! Second, I saw the first "Moose Crossing" warnings, but there were no moose reading those signs when I drove by, so they didn't cross today. Maybe tomorrow. Here is the rest:

The Superbird & I have now traveled nearly 2,500 miles. There are about 1800 miles left to Fairbanks, 375 from there to Anchorage and then about 4,000 home from Anchorage-maybe more depending on the route and side trips. We traveled 750 miles together today.

Our day began at 5:45 am with breakfast, loading up and vehicle check. We were rolling by 6:40am out of Minot. Before I even left Minot the President of the Minot (Dan) car club was waiting to get pictures of the Bird and ask me to stay for a meet that evening, begging forgiveness I explained I could not do that, but might be returning the same route and would email him a day or so in advance. Then on 90 miles to the North port of entry to Canada-customs were no problem-30 or 40 questions and on my way. Entering Saskatchewan I was struck by the ugliness of the strip mining just destroying the land. The people however in the entire province were the absolute, consistently the nicest people yet on this trip.

On to Saskatoon-I try to get 150-190 miles before stopping for gas. The necessity of changing the ECM every stop is not a huge issue, but since the gas tank leaks at fill up I have to clean the windows and gopro cover, pop the hood and let it cool, check the oil, then run to the restroom and soda/water and then put the swapped ecm in before filling up and leaving. It makes the stops long. The heat issue has become a big concern-I know it is affecting the car and it makes me sleepy as well in the afternoon in the black interior with all the greenhouse glass of the Bird, particularly with no radio. Hopefully as I continue north it will cool down (please). Coffe doesn't do it when its 100 degrees in the car!

Kelvin from Saskatoon and I texted back and forth and setup an impromptu car show in Saskatoon-he brought his red 69 Dodge Daytona (white stripes & interior-beautiful!), and his friends Robert, Chuck and Remi brought a 66 Generation 1 Charger, a new Hemi Challenger and a Mustang. His other friend owns an RCMP police mustang and came, along with his daughter and friend, and another guy with a Challenger came as well. What a swell bunch of guys-I gave everyone a shirt or hat or  mug, we took dozens of pictures and swapped a few stories-interesting story about the car chase and bullet hole in Kelvin's Daytona from back in the day! The Saskatoon TV station wanted to put us on TV but we couldn't work out the time today. If I go back the same route we will set it up in advance. I was there about an hour and a half and when leaving got stuck in traffic again and was pushing the overheat envelope again like CHicago. Lots of pictures that Kelvin said he would get to me when he can and post on the Dodge Charger website

With the exception of the stop in Saskatoon today was the most boring drive-it reminded me of Kansas only greener, and if possible flatter. A funny thing happened as I crossed into Alberta at LLoydminister-the people were noticeably unfriendly-I waved at several old cars who looked at me, with no response, and had a slight altercation with some jerk at the gas station who wanted a ride to Edmonton and then got upset when I refused. Other than these 2 very minor issues every single person for 2,500 miles has been pleasant. Today, if possible, the interest in the car was twice as much as yesterday, maybe 3 times as much-they love Mopars here!

Mechanical issues-same ECM issue,but no water or fluid issues. However the oil pressure was a little low and fluctuating a bit for the last 75 miles and I want to watch that very very closely tomorrow. I am hoping it is a combination of very high ambient air temperatures and being 1/2 quart low.l I may get the oil changed thinking maybe the filter is clogging up with old varnish from this engine, and since I am now out of the special 20W50 high Zinc Brad Penn oil it would not hurt.

The solar panel in the back deck keeps a trickle charge on the battery for the GoPro, but the one in the front is not putting out enough power so I put it in the trunk.The GPS tracking has worked perfectly but may become spotty on Friday as I start going in and out of cell coverage. Tomorrow the scenery should pick up and I hope to stop several times for pictures. It is a 600 mile day, but I plan on getting a later start to avoid Edmonton traffic, and since it stays daylight really late. I had an incorrect assumption on the Bird's headlights-I always assumed they were really bad, but they aren't that bad at all. I would not want much driving in the dark but they are acceptable for 45-90 minutes I think

Keep reading, keep suggesting, drop me a text or call! The picture is from a bridge in some little town at the top of North Dakota

Bob

taxspeaker

Kelvin owns 2 Daytonas this one with a white stripe, the other with a red stripe. He also owns a Superbird. Here is the one Daytona at the meet

Dave Kanofsky

What a fantastic journey.  Glad all of your challenges have been manageable.

What ratio of water to coolant are you running?  You can run more water than 50/50 in the summer.
Any other additives, like "water wetter"?

You hit the Dan (Dam) Ryan in Chicago at the worst time possible.

"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Arnie Cunningham

This all sounds so familiar lol.  The heat, the car, the experience.  Glad it is working.  I think the small ND town may be Max.  If it is, that is a weird coincidence because the sheriff of Max owns a Superbird (or at least used to - i haven't spoken with him in years) I used to paint and inspect water towers so I tend to store them in memory and the one in the photo looks familiar.
Enjoy :)

thehemikid

I googled based on Bob's route on his Superbird North site along hwy 52 and found this at Flaxton ND.

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.894272,-102.390313,3a,75y,335.19h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sseT-azlBIuasMP1w1ZkIvg!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

Must be an Awesome trip to say the least!

Can't blame a man for wanting a ride in a Superbird to anywhere,...lol,...but I'm with you on than decision.

I was looking at your gps trail at Lloydminister Yesterday before I read your post about it. It may be a coincident but you left a big "L" at Lloyd.  :lol:  Zoomed in closer and noticed a squiggly knot at the end of the "L". Zoomed in some more a noticed it was at a gas station.  So I though of a funny "That gas pump must of been quite elusive"

Then I read your post on the man wanting a ride, and the elusive pump funny changed to the you eluding the hitcher while trying to fill up.  :smilielol:

Edit: Well! that Google save didn't work to well! :lol: I'll try again.

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.894272,-102.390313,3a,75y,335.19h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sseT-azlBIuasMP1w1ZkIvg!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

Edit II: I can't get my Google map to link right so I'll just screen grab.

winged69

Pictures to follow from Saskatoon. We would have liked more time here but maybe on return.

Bob a friend said put a washer between the ECM and firewall. It will allow airflow.

Will followup  Kelvin

ACUDANUT

Just don't book a flight of ten on your first solo flight.

VTMopar

Your next several hundred miles will be some of the most scenic..... and toughest.   A year ago, I nearly ran into some Bison, Carbeau and a bear....  And some construction...   Keep your eyes pealed.   Also, this stretch (until you get to Whitehorse) is the most scarce for fuel stops.....

You're having a great adventure....   ENJOY!

Doug
Vt Mopar
VT Mopar

taxspeaker

Short post-hard day arriving after 2am EDT in Ft  Nelson.

I thought today would be easier so I worked out and answered all my work emails and handled some business before getting rolling about 8:45 out of Edmonton Alberta. Traveled over 3,200 total miles now, over 750 today.Scenery slowly changed and I went through 1 small mountain range before Grande Prarie, then after leaving Dawson Creek another steady set of ever increasing hills, huge vistas of sweeping river valleys and verdant pine forests for tens of miles. Cars disappeared after Fort St John dropping to one every 15-20 minutes as I came north and not seeing any car for the last 45 minutes before Fort Nelson. I saw my first moose before Grande Prarie, but dead on the side. Signs everywhere for moose, wild horses and buffalo but no visual yet. Tomorrow will change that as I get even more remote. I now see a real mountain range off to the west. Unhappily because of below issue I took few pictures other than the 10,000 with the GoPros.

Mechanical issues-I determined the oil pressure fluctuation was caused by heat and oil becoming worn and stopped worrying about it-it has never dropped below 20psi anyway. However, another issue arose with another aftermarket part. My new fuel tank from YearOne split at the vent outlet tube and was pouring gas out at fill up and driving-to the point of danger. I limped into Dawson Creek to Inland Chrysler since with all my spare parts I did not bring a spare gas tank. The service manager Blane took over, and Ty from the shop said he would stay Friday afternoon and the Dave took the job under his wing. After several efforts we finally got it epoxied, and straightened out the misaligned fuel tank sending unit gasket and 3 hours later I was rolling again. Problem fixed thanks to the great guys at Inland Chrysler in Dawson Creek, BC! So 3 issues have occurred mechanically-none of them from the original 45 year old car, just from aftermarket garbage

The problem now was I had 300 miles to drive on Friday night and no one was sure if the 2 gas stations were open after Ft St John. I filled up there which left 250 miles to here, thinking maybe worst case I might be able to coax 250 miles out of a tank. The hills and my foot ruined that idea, but luckily one of the only 2 stations-at Pink Mountain-was open, so it was just a matter of staying awake to get in. Luckily it stayed daylight until around 10:30, so I got in just as it finally got dark. ECM issues have stopped as the ambient air temperature has dropped

I finally got on the Alaska Highway at 5:30 tonight so it is real-should be lots of GoPro pictures. Tomorrow I will supplement with pictures from my phone and hopefully post some tomorrow night.

Highway conditions usually ok but I am now hitting patches of gravel. The public attention to the car is beyond description-I had a family follow me for 20- miles taking video and then talking at the gas station. How many now-it would be in the multiple dozens today since no one has ever seen one here. Inland Chrysler had multiple videos taken, mechanics that had gone home for the day came back to see it and we got lots of shop pictures. The car is a star, the older guy is just a passenger in the drivers seat.

Bottom line-Chrysler built one heck of a car 45 years ago, and even if it dies tomorrow, it has met all my expectations, the trip has been extraordinary and the scenery starts tomorrow!. Sadly, although I have hauled the drone with me, Ryan was unable to get away to do this once in a lifetime trip with his dad, but I will look at the drone tomorrow and probably try to fly it-never mind that is a really bad idea.

Hopefully pictures tomorrow. On to Whitehorse

ACUDANUT

What is the price of gas in Canada.? I heard that it is twice the price.  :brickwall: