News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Reward for my VIN, fender tag, and title

Started by typars, September 02, 2014, 03:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

familymopar

Quote from: fastmark on September 03, 2014, 09:17:50 PM
Several years ago, I got a call from a Texas DPS trooper. He asked me a simple question. Did I know a certain fellow and what did I think of him. I told him just what I thought of the guy. He is a crook. He is known for taking race cars that have been cut up or modified and swapping the vins and all the other necessary numbers and such to a virgin body and representing them as a nicely restored original car. He had offered me a 69 GTX  convert  that had been reported stolen for the insurance claim so the vin was swapped to a Satellite convert, so it could be sold. He offered me an original 68 hemi dart that had been swapped and sold as a virgin car, as well. At that time, this guy was trying to buy my 65 hemi Coronet and he told me that he already had a virgin body waiting to accept my vin tag. I refused to sell him the car for that very reason. My car was only modified slightly in the rear wheel housing and was easily fixed. This guy is just a crook, plain and simple. I told the trooper that I only sold one car to this guy and would never do business with him again because of what I learned about him. Only after I told him this did he tell me that he was an investigator looking for a 68 Hemi Dart that had been stolen by this guy! He was in the auto theft division of the Texas DPS and that he was gathering evidence for a " Come to Jesus" meeting with this guy and that I had helped a bunch. He asked me if I knew who bought the Hemi Dart body and I did not. If I had bought that body and said "no", I would have been in trouble as well. If I had bought the body, then I would have had to surrender that body.

This story is not here say. And that is how the state of Texas views taking the vin tags off of cars and swapping them around. Someone, however far down the line, has committed fraud for profit. I'm not sure what the statue of limitations is on such things, but I'm sure some innocent parties will get hurt if the feds really want to investigate this thing. Re-bodies happen all the time, but in this case, they left the evidence intact that could cook their goose. Glad it's not my goose!

I fear this sort of thing is not super uncommon.  Texas DPS undoubtedly takes all these shenanigans very, very seriously.  I don't know that OP is in Texas, but if he were this would likely get resolved with some gusto.  That being said, when the dust settles and the bad guys are out of the picture and you have different "innocents" with a claim to the car, the title wins in Texas, and I would think just about everywhere.  I think it is likely that the guy who is the last innocent named title holder will have a right to the car.  Could be quite a mess getting there though.  If no innocent title holder exists it is possible that the car would escheat to the state.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

Davtona

Quote from: moparnation74 on September 03, 2014, 09:26:40 PM

We do care but his comment means no one would really focus on those cars versus a J code

I know, I follow but you have a much better choice of wording.

Nwcharger

I remember a 68 hemi charger shell on eBay last year that was missing the vin and fender tags. Looked green but could have been black. Wonder if its the same car.
1969 coronet wagon

Homerr

We usually take people here at there word, and typars is probably legit.  Given some experiences in the past (such as Syreal_70) I'd just like to throw out there that we only know typars at this point by his 9 posts.

It's a long shot, but what if he's shopping for a Hemi VIN for his own 318 rebody project?  I'm just throwing this out there so we don't end up looking like fools and we consider this, and typars knows we consider this.

I don't know how to legitimize him other than the old take a pic with a "Hi DC.com" sign with his Charger.  Even then, how is it proven on a '68 that it's a real Hemi body?  Weren't '68's different from later body stamps?

68X426

Quote from: Homerr on September 04, 2014, 12:36:00 AM
we only know typars at this point by his 9 posts.

9 posts, and no camera.  ::)

I think it reasonable to give him 7 days to find a camera.  Before his credibility or agenda are questioned.  And brutalized.

People do get sick, have family issues arise, have work crises, so it's ok to me if he doesn't revisit until next weekend.  Of course the FBI is on this case so we can be patient.  Maybe the expert will arrive with a "more to the story" story.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

tan top

Quote from: Nwcharger on September 03, 2014, 11:29:47 PM
I remember a 68 hemi charger shell on eBay last year that was missing the vin and fender tags. Looked green but could have been black. Wonder if its the same car.

:2thumbs: :coolgleamA:
yes I remember that too !! , or one like it !!   story went ! it had been stolen years before  !!   fender & vin tags were missing , & there was a 383 or a 440 under the hood now  , still had the numbers stamped on the body though ! , it was a mess .
   there was a thread on it here , with pictures !  was trying to locate it earlier , along with that gutted out 68  hemi charger race car I mentioned in my previous post in page 2 of this thread .

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

At the end of the day, the tags and title should never have been sold in an envelope, this is why I hate rebodies, typars will have a hard time forcing the tags to be reunited with the car short of buying them in whatever fashion they exist, this is why I hate rebodies, there is a lot more to this story I think (not know-just think), this is why I hate rebodies, I hope the truth comes out and this is why I hate rebodies.

Dreamcar

My thoughts based on what i've seen so far:

1- The VIN should have never been removed in the first place, regardless of the cars condition or purpose.

2- As of today, the OP does not legally own that car. He has that car's old body or panels.

3- Only if the OP can prove fraud who he be entitled to getting the VIN back. He may open a can of worms too and have to give the body back to the title holder.

All of the above has been said by others, but just my two cents.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Old Moparz

Quote from: Dreamcar on September 04, 2014, 05:44:21 AM
My thoughts based on what i've seen so far:

1- The VIN should have never been removed in the first place, regardless of the cars condition or purpose.

2- As of today, the OP does not legally own that car. He has that car's old body or panels.

3- Only if the OP can prove fraud who he be entitled to getting the VIN back. He may open a can of worms too and have to give the body back to the title holder.

All of the above has been said by others, but just my two cents.

This is pretty much how I see it too. In some states you can't even junk a car without a VIN tag or papers that prove ownership like a title or transferable registration.

On the DMV website in New York it states.....
http://dmv.ny.gov/registration/transfer-ownership-and-acceptable-proofs-ownership#Cars

Model year 1972 or older
The acceptable proof of ownership is either

** a NYS Transferable Registration
    ** acceptable proof of ownership from any other state (1)

To transfer ownership
    ** the owner can use the transferable registration and a bill of sale to transfer ownership to another person
    ** make sure the registration document is marked "transferable" on the front
    ** the seller whose name appears on the transferable registration must sign the back of the transferable registration

(1) Different states issue different documents for ownership and transfer of older vehicles. To make sure that an out-of-state document is the acceptable proof of ownership, contact the DMV in the state that issued the document.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Troy

What a bunch of jerks! I wouldn't bother to post any more information either. The OP doesn't need to prove anything to anybody. He came here asking for help - not an analysis of his intentions. Apparently no one posting here knows anything about the car or the tags - but that doesn't mean that someone who does won't see it and actually try to help privately.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

charge69

Yes Troy, the jerk-o-meter is maxed out here by the usual suspects. Absolutely no help but plenty of accusations to go around! 

By the way ........ no help here either!  That's why I haven't posted before now !   Really funny to see all the accusations and theories fly around here if he WAS lucky enough to find what he was looking for.

I, for one, really hope his search is successful and things can be worked out in his favor!

familymopar

Well, I can only speak for myself here, but I was certainly not trying to be a jerk.  If any of my comments were taken that way then I apologize to typars right here and now.  I hope that he/she does come back.

I do not think typars did anything wrong and hope that I did not insinuate otherwise.  But I do think typars may have been wronged, and that worries me.  If typars has the shell of a rare car that he/she is thinking of building up, and now has found that someone else holds the title to the car, I certainly think typars should try to resolve that situation before dumping a lot of money into this project.

I too wish typars all the luck in the world and hope that the car and the title/vin are reunited.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

Old Moparz

Some have made assumptions & have posted like jerks, but typars' first post clearly states his/hers intentions. They want the VIN & fender tags along with the title "given to them" that they do not own. That bothers people.   :Twocents:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Ghoste

My posts have also put me in the jerk camp but really my beef lies with the guy who sold the tags off and the guy who (ASSUMING he did so) put them on a car.  Those were my points and if I had a car in a situation similar to typars I'd want them too regardless of the engine.

tan top

Quote from: tan top on September 04, 2014, 03:37:50 AM

yes I remember that too !! , or one like it !!   story went ! it had been stolen years before  !!   fender & vin tags were missing , & there was a 383 or a 440 under the hood now  , still had the numbers stamped on the body though ! , it was a mess .
   there was a thread on it here , with pictures !  was trying to locate it earlier , along with that gutted out 68  hemi charger race car I mentioned in my previous post in page 2 of this thread .

is this the one your thinking of ( NWC)  ??  :2thumbs:  in the links below  !
it is the one of 68s  im thinking about in my above post ?  

http://rustingmusclecars.com/dodge/1968-charger-hemi

http://collectorcarpricetracker.com/auctions/detail/330889860044/

the pictures are the same ones  , that were posted on here , in the thread about that car .

still not been able to find the gutted out 68 J code , drag car  ,  yet  :scratchchin:

** also been having a quick search around on the net ,  for black & gold & black on black ,  68 , J codes  , four speeds ,  that have been sold or forsale  , or   been featured  or pictures of  etc , not found anything as of yet ,  anything I find will post here  :yesnod:

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 

Dreamcar

I don't see people as being jerks, I see them (including me) as being apprehensive before jumping on the "help me" side, and probably will be until some questions are answered. That doesn't mean though that the OP does not deserve some help, it's just that more info is needed. On a Charger forum, especially with a HEMI car, people are going to raise questions if the story isn't perfectly clear to start with.

But think about it (most of this has been mentioned already):

1- The tag/vin/plate went missing years ago...why would the OP need them back only now if he's had the car for so long? How long has he known about the sale of the VIN?
2- We've only seen the body number...as many have mentioned, can we see the car in its current state?
3- The FBI is envolved...really? Couldn't they find a registered VIN over their lunch break and have this resolved very quickly?
4- So you find the title holder...now what do you do to get everything back? Any legal fees will cost way more than $1000.00. What makes you so sure you'd win a legal battle and not lose the body?
5- It's a HEMI car...shouldn't the title, VIN, and plate be worth more than $1000.00?
6- Is the current title holder the person that bought the title and tag without a car? Those numbers could have been applied to a car which was then registered, and that car sold numerous time since.
7- If the body numbers are missing on the "clone" that could also mean it was repaired.

I want to believe the OP, and like many Charger owners he's probably a very nice guy. There's just still too many unsanwered questions and like others, I'd love to here more from the OP and see an original HEMI car reunited with it's VIN and trim tag. 
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Troy on September 04, 2014, 10:25:31 AM
What a bunch of jerks!

I just started reading this thread today & was thinking the same thing myself. Obviously, more people here should follow my example instead of being a bunch of Richard Craniums.

I know many here have this very same thought but are too timid to say it themselves. This had to be said by someone, so it might as well have been by me.    

moparnation74

Quote from: Old Moparz on September 04, 2014, 11:08:53 AM
Some have made assumptions & have posted like jerks, but typars' first post clearly states his/hers intentions. They want the VIN & fender tags along with the title "given to them" that they do not own. That bothers people.   :Twocents:
:popcrn:

TUFCAT

Quote from: Dreamcar on September 04, 2014, 12:19:26 PM
I don't see people as being jerks, I see them (including me) as being apprehensive before jumping on the "help me" side, and probably will be until some questions are answered. That doesn't mean though that the OP does not deserve some help, it's just that more info is needed. On a Charger forum, especially with a HEMI car, people are going to raise questions if the story isn't perfectly clear to start with.

Quote from: Dreamcar on September 04, 2014, 12:19:26 PM
I want to believe the OP, and like many Charger owners he's probably a very nice guy. There's just still too many unsanwered questions and like others, I'd love to here more from the OP and see an original HEMI car reunited with it's VIN and trim tag.  

This dude's in a bad spot that none of us would ever want to be in - -  so I hope no offense was taken.

I do want to say that ones curiosity kicks in on threads like these. Its like unraveling a mystery, and the reader gets sucked in fairly quick.  Some guys put their Sherlock Holmes hat and pipe on and started playing detective, then a few judgments were made.

I think the nature of the OP's posts led us to a natural abyss of wonder. Since there wasn't much info provided to us, that's usually an on ramp to the road of speculation.  

We like stories that don't require us to fill in the blanks, and a few pictures now and then.  Sorry if we offended you. :icon_smile_wink:  

...and welcome to the site!  :cheers:

Scaregrabber

I don't think TYPARS is in a bad way. It sounds like he bought a hulk really cheap as a parts car with no title. Now he's trying to make something from nothing. I guess if he paid $30k for a Hemi body WITH a title, that would be different.
However it also sounds like there may be a Hemi Charger out there that didn't come from Mopar as one. That is dead wrong.
Anyway I don't see him buying what he wants for $1k to make his $500 hulk into a $100k car and that's exactly what he's trying to do.

Sheldon

Nwcharger

Quote from: tan top on September 04, 2014, 11:46:36 AM
Quote from: tan top on September 04, 2014, 03:37:50 AM

is this the one your thinking of ( NWC)  ??  :2thumbs:  in the links below  !
it is the one of 68s  im thinking about in my above post ?  

http://rustingmusclecars.com/dodge/1968-charger-hemi

http://collectorcarpricetracker.com/auctions/detail/330889860044/

the pictures are the same ones  , that were posted on here , in the thread about that car .

still not been able to find the gutted out 68 J code , drag car  ,  yet  :scratchchin:

** also been having a quick search around on the net ,  for black & gold & black on black ,  68 , J codes  , four speeds ,  that have been sold or forsale  , or   been featured  or pictures of  etc , not found anything as of yet ,  anything I find will post here  :yesnod:

Yea that's the one I was talking a about.  :cheers:  I thought about buying it when I seen it for sale but told myself I have way too many cars already and don't need another.
1969 coronet wagon

UFO

I knew I had seen that vin pic that the OP posted.
Took some time to go thru a bunch of disc's but here's the rest of the pics.

tan top

Quote from: UFO on September 06, 2014, 12:26:01 PM
I knew I had seen that vin pic that the OP posted.
Took some time to go thru a bunch of disc's but here's the rest of the pics.

wow ! you found it !!  :bow:    :cheers:  good detective work !!  :cheers: :cheers:   :2thumbs:

yeah that's one ,   gutted out drag car I was thinking off , !  although don't remember the gold paint though  :scratchchin: , sure there was a picture of the underside , showing a torque box too

Charger Stuff 

familymopar

That's more car than I was expecting honestly.  I'd want the title/vin too!

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

Challenger340

I've seen worse fixed, still viable,....  but darn near a re-body as better alternative ?
I'll keep an eye out here in western canada, you never know.
Only wimps wear Bowties !