News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 hemi runner project

Started by shag766, March 20, 2006, 07:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shag766

i am about to start a hemi project. putting a 69 hemi engine into a 69 383 runner body. my ? is this.
  what chassis parts do i replace first?
  or maybe a better way to ask this is; does anybody know a good site where i can find the info required for this project? 
69 runner(hemi-project)
70 dart(project)
65 calienti(driver)
66 s/s impala(driver-project)
70 s/s chevelle(clone-driver)
66 elcamino(project)

Troy

The first thing you'll need will be motor mounts unless you're buying a Hemi K-frame as well. If you use the standard b-body K-frame and want to keep the stock (deep) oil pan you'll want to add a skid plate to the K-frame. Probably the next obvious change will be bigger torsion bars and rear springs to handle the weight. While you have it apart you should replace all the bushings because the extra weight will make any worn parts more obvious. You should look at stiffening the chassis with torque boxes - check Harm's for reproductions or A.R.T. for functional-but-not-stock. You may want to add some subframe connectors for stiffness as well - unless you want it to look totally stock. It really depends on how far you want to go with making it "correct". I'd personally upgrade to disc brakes in the front so you can actually stop. You might swap to a Dana rear as well but it's not necessary.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

shag766

thanks troy; i found harms but i couldn't find a.r.t., also the car comes complete with new 11.75 inch disc brake set up to install.  what size torque bars do i need?    thanks rick
69 runner(hemi-project)
70 dart(project)
65 calienti(driver)
66 s/s impala(driver-project)
70 s/s chevelle(clone-driver)
66 elcamino(project)

Jon Smith

you can get engine mounts for this swap from http://www.engine-swaps.com/
by A.R.T i thnk he means auto rust technicians?

Troy

Yes, Auto Rust Technicians http://www.autorust.com/. Stock Hemi torsion bars are 0.92" but I think most people upgrade to 0.96".

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.