News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What are your other hobbies???

Started by green69rt, September 17, 2014, 07:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

green69rt

I have to assume that many of us have other hobbies.  I know I can't work on my Charger 24/7.  

Since I was in the Navy I have built wooden models of old sailing ships.  The first two show the only one I have finished.  It is Captain Cooks ship.  The HMS Endeavour (edited for spelling), a Cat built bark.  Took him around the world till he was invited for dinner.  Took me 10 years to build.

The last pic shows how far along I am on the HMS Victory, Lord Nelsons flag ship.  Sometimes I spend a month on one little deck fitting!!

charge69

Those are extremely nice ! Congratulations for having the patience to build one of those!

I used to do a lot of fishing and target shooting as a hobby but, not so much anymore.

green69rt

Quote from: charge69 on September 17, 2014, 07:55:32 PM
Those are extremely nice ! Congratulations for having the patience to build one of those!

I used to do a lot of fishing and target shooting as a hobby but, not so much anymore.

Just take the time,  your time is precious, do what counts.  I know that life takes some chunk but there's always a little left to do what matters to you!!

bordin34

I may be addicted to target shooting and buying guns. Mostly WW2ish era or C&R types. I have an M1 Garand, M39 Mosin, and Swiss K31 in addition to others.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

RallyeMike

QuoteSince I was in the Navy I have built wooden models of old sailing ships.  The first two show the only one I have finished.  It is Captain Cooks ship.  The HMS Endevour, a Cat built bark.  Took him around the world till he was invited for dinner.  Took me 10 years to build.

The last pic shows how far along I am on the HMS Victory, Lord Nelsons flag ship.  Sometimes I spend a month on one little deck fitting!!

Wow, those are nice! Neato!

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

fy469rtse

yes Mitch, nicely done
I'm Australian so i can appreciate the first one,
ive done a couple but not finished them ,
they do take some patience, was building a replicer of the red barrons plane, plan was to hang it from my sons roof in his room, worked out the scale was too big or the rooms too small lol
just have  to cloth the wings and body , wings on and its done , still sitting there in parts because once fully assembled just way too big

polywideblock

very well done   thought this might be appropriate  

HMS Endeavour was in harbour till today   :yesnod:

I fish a fare bit  the harbour being 5 mins walk away  is a prime choice

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

twodko

Quote from: green69rt on September 17, 2014, 07:39:47 PM
I have to assume that many of us have other hobbies.  I know I can't work on my Charger 24/7.  

Since I was in the Navy I have built wooden models of old sailing ships.  The first two show the only one I have finished.  It is Captain Cooks ship.  The HMS Endeavour (edited for spelling), a Cat built bark.  Took him around the world till he was invited for dinner.  Took me 10 years to build.

The last pic shows how far along I am on the HMS Victory, Lord Nelsons flag ship.  Sometimes I spend a month on one little deck fitting!!

Bravo Zulu Squid! Very nicely done and certainly in keeping with the finest traditions
of the US Navy.

I target shoot frequently and still putz around in my wood shop but can't build
large case pieces anymore. My biggest endeavor these days is building a new
life for myself after losing my wife.  

A possible effort in this direction is a turnkey 68-72 Dodge Dart. Searching.............. ;D
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

John_Kunkel

Quote from: bordin34 on September 17, 2014, 09:27:40 PM
I may be addicted to target shooting and buying guns. Mostly WW2ish era or C&R types.

Me too...50+ and always looking for more.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

68pplcharger

Building racecars or restoring Musclecars

timmycharger

Building/Racing Radio Controlled vehicles, fun hobby to do with my two sons who are too young to wrench on the Charger

fy469rtse

Mitch ,
going to put sails on that thing, always thought they look more impressive with sails in full flight , but seriuosly great job
I'm gooing to send you mine to finish  :lol:

green69rt

Quote from: fy469rtse on September 18, 2014, 05:24:42 PM
Mitch ,
going to put sails on that thing, always thought they look more impressive with sails in full flight , but seriuosly great job
I'm gooing to send you mine to finish  :lol:

Sails were an option, I just left them off so the rigging and deck work were easier to see.  ( I probably should have dusted the thing off before taking pics :-\)

Paul G

Other hobbies?? My favorite hobbies involve wheels, Mopars, Harleys, and Corvettes. Hobbies without wheels would be target shooting, handguns, and a recently acquired aquarium. I used to dabble in light carpentry, like basement remodeling, home renovation, which turned in to landlording. Landlording sucks. Wish I could sell the few I still own.  I guess I am a pretty rounded guy.   :P
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Ponch ®

-Reading (I'm serious)

-Guitars (though not as much as Id like to)

-Sports (recently started playing hockey again after 20+ years, which is essentially starting from scratch)

-Beer (again...Im serious. There something to be said for getting into the craft beer thing)

-Bitches Married... :icon_smile_blackeye:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

69wannabe

Working on the charger is mostly it I guess, got several jeep grand cherokees in the family I always seem to be working on. When i'm not at work which is limited lately (been busy at work like madness!!) i'm usually working on something at home for friend's or family or i'm just chilling with my little chihuahua on the couch watching a good movie. I like doing construction projects like adding a shed and doing work on the house but i'm not very good at it but it's nice to do something other than turning wrenches. I do collect older toy's which I grew up with like dukes memorabilia and transformer toys from the 80's. Also have several 1/18th scale charger replica's and several other mopar 1/18th scale replica's. Also collect movie's of all kind, horror, action, comedy's and favorite tv show's. Used to ride bicycle's alot, still have my BMX bikes from the 80's and they are in perfect condition but haven't rode in awhile.  

Mopar Nut

I like to metal detect when the ground isn't frozen.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

stripedelete

Quote from: Mopar Nut on September 19, 2014, 02:16:59 AM

Whats the most valuable and what's the most interesting thing you've found?

fy469rtse

Quote from: green69rt on September 18, 2014, 05:26:26 PM
Quote from: fy469rtse on September 18, 2014, 05:24:42 PM
Mitch ,
I'm gooing to send you mine to finish  :lol:

Sails were an option, I just left them off so the rigging and deck work were easier to see.  ( I probably should have dusted the thing off before taking pics :-\)
no convicts to swab the decks Mitch

Mopar Nut

Quote from: stripedelete on September 19, 2014, 07:47:05 AM
Quote from: Mopar Nut on September 19, 2014, 02:16:59 AM

Whats the most valuable and what's the most interesting thing you've found?
A meteorite and German silver.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

draftingmonkey

That is some nice work green69rt.  My other hobbies are vintage audio gear/sources and firearms, mostly used for target shooting.

Ponch ®

Quote from: draftingmonkey on September 19, 2014, 02:19:46 PM
That is some nice work green69rt.  My other hobbies are vintage audio gear/sources and firearms, mostly used for target shooting.

I bet a 70's vintage tube receiver can take a .38 bullet pretty good.

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Mytur Binsdirti

bakerhillpins

I have a money pit of a hobby in pinball machines that I restore. 17 of them, some projects some ready to play.

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

bakerhillpins

I am also a woodworker and use that heavily during home renovations. This is my Library that I finished last fall. You can see antique wide pine floor repair I put in between the piano and the vacuum. I used salvaged planks that I actually pulled off the house during renovations as they were used as sheathing. The entire job was a PITA because the house is so out of square. From the left hand side of the pic to the right hand side (half way around the room) the floor drops 2". I had to play all sorts of games with the crown and cabinets to get it to look level.  :eek2:

And if I can locate some pics of the bedroom furniture I made for my kids...
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

Indygenerallee

Love that Twilight Zone pinball machine!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

bakerhillpins

Here is a quick pic of the bed and night stand I made for my daughter. The white oak I used was actually pulled off of my neighbors lot when he built his house years ago. He gave me a stack of the rough cut boards he had from the site work that they never used. I made 4 night stands, the bed, and a bathroom sink from it. I gave him one of the nightstands as a thank you gift. The other 2 went to my sister and my sister-in-law.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

bakerhillpins

Green69rt, you are an amazing craftsman!!! Those models are totally nuts.  :2thumbs: :cheers:  I always had a lot of respect for folks who made model ships. So I have to ask... How the heck do you keep them clean (dust) without breaking them??
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

bill440rt

Damn Bryan, those are some mad wood skills you got there!  :o  :bow:
Same with green69rt! Very impressive!

I used to do some car modeling as a kid/teen, which progressed to 1:1 scale as I got older.
Guitar & playing in bands has been a big pastime of mine also. Aquariums, too. Been trying to find time to get out on my bike most recently for some much needed exercise.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

draftingmonkey

Quote from: Ponch ® on September 19, 2014, 03:32:21 PM
Quote from: draftingmonkey on September 19, 2014, 02:19:46 PM
That is some nice work green69rt.  My other hobbies are vintage audio gear/sources and firearms, mostly used for target shooting.
I bet a 70's vintage tube receiver can take a .38 bullet pretty good.

Better send me that Marantz for .38 practice. I usually prefer 90's and newer cheap digital gear for target practice  :D . But I will be happy to make an exception  :icon_smile_wink: .

There are some mighty talented folks with wood working skills here.

green69rt

Quote from: bakerhillpins on September 19, 2014, 08:01:36 PM

Green69rt, you are an amazing craftsman!!! Those models are totally nuts.  :2thumbs: :cheers:  I always had a lot of respect for folks who made model ships. So I have to ask... How the heck do you keep them clean (dust) without breaking them??

I use a sable long-hair small paint brush to loosen the dust then blow it off.

Patronus

Check these bad boys:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

green69rt

Quote from: bakerhillpins on September 19, 2014, 07:43:10 PM
I am also a woodworker and use that heavily during home renovations. This is my Library that I finished last fall. You can see antique wide pine floor repair I put in between the piano and the vacuum. I used salvaged planks that I actually pulled off the house during renovations as they were used as sheathing. The entire job was a PITA because the house is so out of square. From the left hand side of the pic to the right hand side (half way around the room) the floor drops 2". I had to play all sorts of games with the crown and cabinets to get it to look level.  :eek2:

And if I can locate some pics of the bedroom furniture I made for my kids...

That's a really great installation!!  Very professional.  Are the open beams functional or just decorative?  Either way, still a great space.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: green69rt on September 19, 2014, 10:47:29 PM
I use a sable long-hair small paint brush to loosen the dust then blow it off.

That sounds like it takes a lot of patience, not sure I would have that.  I bet it's why you see so many of them in bottles.  :lol:

Quote from: green69rt on September 20, 2014, 07:40:05 AM
That's a really great installation!!  Very professional.  Are the open beams functional or just decorative?  Either way, still a great space.

Thanks! The beams are functional and support the upper floor.

Quote from: Patronus on September 19, 2014, 10:49:37 PM
Check these bad boys:

Patronus    Love that Haro.   Looks like it's setup to be a trick ride but with front suspension?  Never had that going when we were trick riding back in High School.  You have quite the lineup there. Looks like loads of fun.  :2thumbs:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

Patronus

Thank you sir. That Haro is actually a BlkMrkt hand made Mob frame from when S&M made them. (26" dirt-jump bike) It has been a winter project to polish the fork and bits. I used to ride in the 80's flatland style. Been racing DH bikes since 2000, and that orange 450 beast that kicked my ass today for a 6th place finish.  :rotz:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

1carcrazyguy

Racing radio controlled (R/C) cars.   Mostly 1/8th electric buggy, 4X4 SCT and a little bit of 1/10th scale buggy thrown in there.  Also we consider traveling a hobby and try to do that as often as we can.  :2thumbs:

Mopar Nut

I used to be heavily into woodturning too, but it was making my head spin.

c00nhunterjoe

Back N Black

I like to restore anything old. I restored the pump last winter and the fridge last week.

70 sublime

Summer time I race electric RC boats and when the water freezes I work on slot cars and HO model trains
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

chaos52

Seems like I'm always finding things to spend time and money on, but scuba is one of my favorites. Unfortunately, I don't live near the water anymore, but I hope to resolve that soon.

http://youtu.be/-kbzkRvoC4E?t=32s

67440chrg

I was a fishing nut for most of my life and never thought I would quit but I have not been in 2 1/2 years now. All my time is spent on fixing things on my property and my inlaws old house and my Charger. I will have to fix that and get out away from everything and relax some day.

stripedelete

Quote from: 67440chrg on September 24, 2014, 03:09:24 PM
I was a fishing nut for most of my life and never thought I would quit but I have not been in 2 1/2 years now. All my time is spent on fixing things on my property and my inlaws old house and my Charger. I will have to fix that and get out away from everything and relax some day.

Just know you are not alone in your toil.  It's our age. It's our time.

PlainfieldCharger

Quote from: bakerhillpins on September 19, 2014, 07:40:49 PM
I have a money pit of a hobby in pinball machines that I restore. 17 of them, some projects some ready to play.

Nice Pinball games...that Twilight game is Sweet. Very high demand game. I restored a Godzilla game have a Home use only South Park, Black Knight and Black Knight 2000. We need to get a pinball tournament going :2thumbs:

Dino

Too many to list.  I also haven't found much time to do any of them but playing music was always a big one, guitar, bass, sax mostly.  I used to draw a lot, as in sketching, but haven't done so in years.  Pretty much anything that requires some dexterity, woodworking being one of them is high on my list.  I also turned my old profession of body work ito a hobby, much more relaxing now.   :yesnod: 

Lately, plopping down on the couch to watch a dumb movie so my brain can unwind is my favorite of all hobbies.  I'll get back in the swing of things after I'm done with school.  2018 if all goes well.... :eek2:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

twodko

It will go well...........and then........THE MOTHER OF ALL DINO GRADUATION PARTIES!

Dino

Quote from: twodko on September 25, 2014, 06:43:10 PM
It will go well...........and then........THE MOTHER OF ALL DINO GRADUATION PARTIES!

You're not kidding!  That's going to be a party for the books because I'm going all nuts on that one!    :cheers:
If this plan works, I'll be half way in my 44th year on this rock.  That'll give me some time to rack up some of the green and retire my ass early.    :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

69wannabe

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on September 21, 2014, 10:39:49 PM
Model trains.

That train set looks awesome!!! Takes alot of patience to set all that up and with all that detail work that goes into it!!! NICE!!! :2thumbs:

green69rt

I really get the feeling that a lot of the folks that restore or keep these old chargers also have other hobbies that take a lot of patience for detail work.   Well who would have thought!!!!

Wicked72

I started making wood shift knobs. ill have to post some pics asap. i currently have one made from cocobolo in my honda. i am working on one for my wifes jeep thats purple heart, and another one for my buddy out of bamboo. i make most of them weighted which really makes for smooth shifts.
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Wicked72 on September 26, 2014, 07:05:12 PM
I started making wood shift knobs. ill have to post some pics asap. i currently have one made from cocobolo in my honda. i am working on one for my wifes jeep thats purple heart, and another one for my buddy out of bamboo. i make most of them weighted which really makes for smooth shifts.
Any pistol grips yet???     :naughty: 

rt green

playing the old electrical mechanical pinball machines from the 70's. I have 3-4 machines at all times. I have a 1970 Bowl-o , 1970 Straight Flush and a 1974 Delta Queen. in fact swapping off a Line Drive baseball machine tomorrow for a Bally Champ machine.  also ww2 guns.  mauser, mozen nagant british 303 and a hakim rifles. also still have my old Kawasaki kz 900.  love that bike.     bruce
third string oil changer

68CoronetRT

Being that I'm 29 now, married and have no kids, I have a few hobbies.

Off road racing(fab work is almost a full time job on these vehicles!)
Boating (Bust out another thousand)
Rc airplanes/RC cars
Car building(3 projects as of right now :( )
Guitar/Bass

Guess all I'm missing is real flying... oh wait, I'm in school now to become a pilot  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Good thing I married a woman that enjoys this list with me! Atleast so far!!! haha :coolgleamA:

green69rt

Quote from: 68CoronetRT on September 27, 2014, 08:48:07 PM
Being that I'm 29 now, married and have no kids, I have a few hobbies.

Off road racing(fab work is almost a full time job on these vehicles!)
Boating (Bust out another thousand)
Rc airplanes/RC cars
Car building(3 projects as of right now :( )
Guitar/Bass

Guess all I'm missing is real flying... oh wait, I'm in school now to become a pilot  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Good thing I married a woman that enjoys this list with me! Atleast so far!!! haha :coolgleamA:

Do you sleep, seems those hobbies add up to a 27 hour day!!

twodko

green69rt

Quote from: twodko on September 27, 2014, 11:15:24 PM
He's 27.

Oh!! Now I get it!! (actually 29 but who cares, the result is the same.)

68CoronetRT

haha it comes and goes in waves. 1 week its this, the next week it's that.

The running joke is "what is the hobby of the week".  :cheers:

gtx6970

I would say model car kits . But seeing it's been almost 2 years since I've been to the model bench .
Lately I would say It's following my girls to after school activites the past several years. Oldest plays high school varsity golf team, youngest is on the high school volleyball team

69wannabe

Quote from: green69rt on September 25, 2014, 10:08:50 PM
I really get the feeling that a lot of the folks that restore or keep these old chargers also have other hobbies that take a lot of patience for detail work.   Well who would have thought!!!!

Just saying that alot of people don't work around these smaller scale hobbies. I can work on and around old mopars all day and all night but I tried to build a couple of model cars for myself and it's just not the same thing. Thanks for the negative remark tho.... I was just admiring the work that he had put into an awesome looking set up!!

bakerhillpins

Quote from: PlainfieldCharger on September 25, 2014, 08:11:51 AM
Nice Pinball games...that Twilight game is Sweet. Very high demand game. I restored a Godzilla game have a Home use only South Park, Black Knight and Black Knight 2000. We need to get a pinball tournament going :2thumbs:

Thanks!   My boys are quite good a pinball and it's fun to trash talk while playing against them. Good Father son time for sure!  A tourney would be fun.

Quote from: rt green on September 27, 2014, 04:16:01 PM
playing the old electrical mechanical pinball machines from the 70's. I have 3-4 machines at all times. I have a 1970 Bowl-o , 1970 Straight Flush and a 1974 Delta Queen. in fact swapping off a Line Drive baseball machine tomorrow for a Bally Champ machine.

Cool. Do you trade them often?  I can't seem to let them go when I pick them up.  :brickwall:

Quote from: 69wannabe on October 12, 2014, 03:41:34 PM
Quote from: green69rt on September 25, 2014, 10:08:50 PM

Just saying that alot of people don't work around these smaller scale hobbies. I can work on and around old mopars all day and all night but I tried to build a couple of model cars for myself and it's just not the same thing. Thanks for the negative remark tho.... I was just admiring the work that he had put into an awesome looking set up!!

I don't think that green69rt was being a smart a$$ or making any negative remarks. I think he was just commenting on the detail in the hobbies and that it seemed like a logical conclusion that maybe just occurred to him?   :cheers:

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

rt green

don't normally trade machines, but that could change. I don't have much room for any more, but I said the same thing  about mopars. lol. moving pinballs around isn't my favorite thing to do, but if I find a deal on one I like, well, ya know.
third string oil changer

keith88

I do syfi modeling during the winter months (off car season) basically Battlestar Galactica and a little star trek.
Here's a small example from last winter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP_GQIi4vsA&feature=youtu.be
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.