News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct way to degree a Hydraulic Cam

Started by flashley18, March 20, 2006, 12:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flashley18

I have read a couple of articles about degreeing a cam and some suggest using a mechanical lifter on the intake.  If you do that you need adjustable rocker arms or pushrods to adjust for lash.  Being that it is not a mechanical cam how would you do this.  Doesn't seem like you can do it with a hydraulic lifter.  Is there another way??

Just bought a cam degreeing kit at Summit at their new store in Georgia and want to try it out.

471_Magnum

Find yourself an old hydraulic lifter if you don't have a solid one.

Take the lifter apart and jimmy it full of washers so it can't colapse. Now you can use it to degree the cam.

Lash really isn't important when you are degreeing the cam. Just be careful not to crunch the valve into the piston. Shouldn't be an issue unless you're running a bunch of lift or domed pistons.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Chryco Psycho

I leave the rocker off while degreeing , just  put the guage on the lifter to read the movement

firefighter3931

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 20, 2006, 02:07:47 PM
I leave the rocker off while degreeing , justĀ  put the guage on the lifter to read the movement

:iagree: Going off the lifter is more accurate and you can use a hydraulic lifter that won't collapse under the valve spring pressure.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

471_Magnum

I agree with going off the lifter, but getting an indicator down in the lifter valley (with the head on) is a challenge on some motors. I've never been able to do it on a b-motor... at least not with my indicator (which happens to come out of a Summit degree kit).

Might be able to squeeze it in there on an RB. Don't know about a small block.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

flashley18

I am doing this on a 440.  I am going to try to do it directly on the lifter as Chryco and 471 Magnum have suggested.  By the way how do you like the summit kit?

471_Magnum

Quote from: flashley18 on March 21, 2006, 07:52:17 AM
By the way how do you like the summit kit?

It works well enough. I've had it for several years and used it on a couple of motors. I've used the indicator on several other projects.

Honestly, I don't remember what came in the kit other than the wheel, indicator and base. Does it have a piston stop? I think I bought mine separately... in fact I'm sure I did.

You'll need a piston stop to find TDC if you're degreeing the cam with the head in place. The Tavia one I have was fine on stock head castings, but too short on my angle plug Edelbrocks. Had to use some threaded rod to make it longer.

flashley18

I believe mine came with a piston stop, some springs and spacers.  It was on sale for $55 during the grand opening weekend of the new Summit store in Georgia.  Wasn't planning on buying it at the time but it looked like a good deal.