News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4 hole carb spacer

Started by Dino, September 29, 2014, 09:04:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Small update:

I checked the plugs and the color is fine but they're getting old so I'll get new set. 

I put new needles and seats in the TQ as well as new well seals, but the air horn is supposed to stand proud a bit so it make a good seal when tightened down.  Well it didn't stand proud.  The TQ is back on and the driver's side venturi no longer leaks, but the passenger side is at it again.  Not as bad as before though, now it's just a drip.  I was playing with the idle mixture screw and actually got it to stop, but a few minutes later it was dripping again.  I reset the floats a bit to 1 1/16" and it cruises better but the engine really wakes up when you hit 50 or so, you can feel it pull more without adjusting the gas.  Initially there was little fuel smell and decent performance but it started to run a tad rougher and started smelling a bit again.  It's not horrible though, the car seems very reliable again despite these issues. Not a ton of power but that's expected with these problems.  It won't spin the tire for more than a few feet and only in first.  Even with 2.96 gears and wide tires it probably should do better but that's okay, i'll happen with some more work, like that shiny new cam.   :icon_smile_big:

I was able to take it out on Saturday and it fired right up after sitting for about 6 hours so that was good.  It also can idle pretty low without stalling and for the first time the vacuum reading was a steady 15.  Idle still wanders a bit but it's better than before.

So I'm going to leave it as is and take it out a few more times before putting it in storage around 12/1.  When it comes back out around May I'll do the cam swap and check everything else to make sure it's good to go.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

fy469rtse

Sorry Dino, I'm late to this one ,
Before you throw money at it, fuel pressure, are you using factory pump ?, I've seen the fuel pump push rod overlooked so many times I've lost count, this were down over time and the result is the pump is not pumping properly, arm travel is reduced
The amount of times lately that I have seen a camshaft installed using index marks on gears and not being dialed in properly , cam shaft could be at fault because of how it's not been degreed in , it's not a big cam so I would look at if its dialed in properly
Yes rebuild the TQ , great carby when there right, google or look up on how and what to look out for , mainly resin plugs in plastic bowls
Can you post a photo on your throttle cable issue , maybe we can spot what's wrong, with the edelbrock s there's a side throttle adapter they list which bolts on the side , this usually sorts out the throttle travel issues

Dino

Oh the Edelbrock has been removed for now.  It seems like a real good carb and in good shape as well, just not complimentary to the current build I suppose.  I do have the throttle cable adapter but the placement of the throttle cable itself is further back as opposed to the TQ.  I have another cable bracket here somewhere that may fix the issue.  When I initially rebuilt the TQ it made my engine scream, I could hear the secondaries open and this sucker would move, it does not seem to do this anymore.  It still has plenty power in the higher rpm range but not down low.  I don't think the cam is that big either but it's big enough to move that power band above 3000 rpm and with my tall gears it's not the most ideal.  I have been told by the pros here that this cam is an old grind and now it seems I may have timing chain slop as well.  Since I do want to move the power band down I think it's best just to get another cam and chain.  It's not that expensive and it'll teach me a bit more on engines.  I've never done this before.  Besides, I think that whoever built this engine may have been a bit sloppy so it's probably a good idea to check everything for that reason alone.

1974dodgecharger

don't know why Dino, but I just bought a 2inch spacer open style and it costs 20 bucks with gaskets hope they work....... :icon_smile_big:

time to take off the hood for awhile.....

71 SE3834V

Quote from: Dino on October 13, 2014, 08:36:16 AM
...it'll teach me a bit more on engines.  I've never done this before. 

Heads should be going on tomorrow and the rest of the engine assembled soon if you wanna stop by for some learning young grasshopper.  :icon_smile_big:
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

Dino

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on October 14, 2014, 05:43:27 AM
don't know why Dino, but I just bought a 2inch spacer open style and it costs 20 bucks with gaskets hope they work....... :icon_smile_big:

time to take off the hood for awhile.....

Dayum! What are you up to?    :icon_smile_big:

Quote from: 71 SE3834V on October 14, 2014, 07:20:07 PM
Quote from: Dino on October 13, 2014, 08:36:16 AM
...it'll teach me a bit more on engines.  I've never done this before.

Heads should be going on tomorrow and the rest of the engine assembled soon if you wanna stop by for some learning young grasshopper.  :icon_smile_big:

Ha!  That sounds good to me.  I should be available any day from Friday through Monday to come give you a hand.   :yesnod: