News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The King dropping in a new bullet.

Started by Ghoste, October 13, 2014, 05:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6bblgt

the hoist pivots from "in" the box truck to "out" - yes the car would need to be rolled to the engine's location

odcics2

Quote from: JB400 on October 15, 2014, 06:19:09 AM
I'm sure those guys could get an engine swap done in 30 minutes

One time the Jr. Johnson crew did a swap on Yarborough's Chevy in 15 minutes.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Ghoste

If the money is on the line and the adrenaline is pumping, I can believe it.

odcics2

They were running for the Championship.   A while later Nascar banned engine swaps.

JB400

I assume this was in the middle of the race? :popcrn:

Aero426

Quote from: JB400 on October 16, 2014, 12:00:33 PM
I assume this was in the middle of the race? :popcrn:

No this was not during a race.   The idea of quickly changing engines during races did not get going until the mid-1970's.   It was done away with pretty quickly.     I don't think anyone working on the cars minded when it went away.  

odcics2

1976 ...

Talladega 500 – Dave Marcis took his only Talladega win and the first for crew chief Harry Hyde. The lead changed a season-high 57 times. Benny Parsons blew his engine after 39 laps while Cale suffered another engine failure, yet Junior Johnson's team changed engines mid-race again, this time in 20 minutes. Richard Petty blew his engine after taking the lead in the final 20 laps; with this the combination of DNFs Cale thus took the point lead for what proved to be the final time. Darrell Waltrip blew his engine and following the race DiGard fired team manager Mario Rossi and engine builders "Stump" Davis and Keith Harlan; the team hired Robert Yates to assist Marion Newman.

Cale later won the Championship that year.