News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Forty Years Ago

Started by ramairthree, October 16, 2014, 01:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramairthree

on a fall day, this picture was taken south of Bennington, VT.

In the background is the old man's dirt circle track car, at what was then Robert's Garage.

The pumps are and their storage building across the street that sat over the brook are gone but the garage is still ran by a guy that used to work there.

Our Daytona came from Hartwin's in Greenfield, Mass.  It was untitled and had not been sold.  It was not sold for quite a while, and the SS454 4-speed 1970 Chevelle my father had ordered and my Mom hated driving was traded straight up for it.

(They hated the car as it took to long to get after ordering- a strike at GM maybe?, and hated the transmission- may have been fixed under warranty or a recall- she really preferred the 440 automatic)

The was sold around 1976 to a guy in Bennington.  The car, at least we think the same car, no VIN on hand, was bought by a guy in GA from a guy in Bennington and per a friend is restored in GA.

We do not think the car oringinally went to Hartwins, are not sure if any F6 While cars went to Mass. at all, and speculate it is the one that went to Vermont and ended up getting dealer traded around before titling.

I was passing through, and occurred to me it was the right time of year to get a picture.

It was the first car I remember riding in, etc.

1966hemi

Cool story! I like reading the 'back in the day' stuff, it connects us to our hobby's history!

tan top

Quote from: 1966hemi on October 16, 2014, 06:04:23 PM
Cool story! I like reading the 'back in the day' stuff, it connects us to our hobby's history!

:iagree:   :yesnod: :2thumbs:

thanks for sharing

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

I like the before and after pics too.

PettyMower

Here ya go.....September 1969.

1966hemi

ramairthree

Yep,
if I hit the lottery it will be mine.

I just retired after almost 30 years in the military and it is a nice raise,
I just need to keep saving.

I did not quite get the angle right.

nascarxx29

This F6 white interior daytona ened up owned by a guy in Georgia. Ram AirThis the car restored?
http://mapleleafmopars.homestead.com/MofMmay2008.html
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Mike DC

How did they have that old building perched on top of the creek 40 years back?  Weird.

Highbanked Hauler

Back in the early to mid 80'S I worked with a guy  who was originally from  Hoosick  Falls NY. who was telling me there was  somebody with 2 cars a green and a blue "cars with a wing on the back" and the cars were near  RT. 7. which goes through Bennington ..
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

65post

Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Ghoste

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 17, 2014, 01:47:06 PM

How did they have that old building perched on top of the creek 40 years back?  Weird.

I think it was much closer to the remaining house than you first think, look at the guardrail for the creek in the first photo.

ramairthree

The guy that bought it did have another wing car, I was like 7 years old.

The sides of the brook have built up stone walls.

Many of the older homes or buildings did go over it, using it as sort of a foundation.

Some had inside "outhouses."

If fact, up until about the time I was in high school, all plumbing flushed into that brook for the in town homes.

ramairthree

I have nothing with the VIN on it from our car.

Just know that it came from Hartwins.

I THINK the car in GA that has been restored is it,
because the guy got it from a guy in Bennington.

I got a picture of it from a friend that knows the guy.
He lives in GA, is a Mopar guy, and saw the car.

He said, Holy Crap, when I was a kid the cousin of my cousin's Dad had white on F6 just like that in Vermont.

He got me a pic of the car but not the VIN.

hemigeno

The F. Lee Ashley car (390010) is described in the 1980 WW newsletter article as having a black interior rather than white like the OP's car.  That doesn't mean it's not the correct VIN, since the newsletter story could be inaccurate -- or since the car was apparently painted white at one time, it could have had its interior changed out back then also.  Stranger things have happened.  Dave Jones bought the other wing car mentioned in the WW article that same weekend, so it's always possible Dave Jones' car was also F6 and is the one from Bennington.  Probably not, but... ??

The Vermont connection, F6 & white interior of the Georgia car is too similar for mere coincidence, but confirming the VIN would really help.

ramairthree

Have tens times over checked, but my mother has nothing left with the VIN from our Daytona.

It was in new, test driven only, never titled condition from Hartwins.
A straight up trade for a few months old 1970 SS454 Chevelle.  (I do not know it was an LS5 or LS6)

My mother was POd the Daytona was only a 69 and not a 70, but she liked the automatic 440 better than the 4 speed 454.

I remember weird little details, like the solenoid/click/whir of the clock winding while sitting in the car waiting for Mom in the bank,
playing with the wiper switch you could put it between settings and end up with like 5 different wiper speeds, etc.

I wonder how many other Daytonas got studded snow tires and ran in the winter?

We sold the car to a guy in Bennington that had another wing car.
The guy in GA has a white interior, white wing, F6 car he bought from a guy in Bennington.
I don't see much possibility of it NOT being the same car.

If the guy in GA that has it,
and let the cousin of my cousin the LEO in GA that is also a mopar fan send me a picture,
I would love a PM if you are on the board.

The REAL story I would love to hear,
is what dealership did the car originally ship to,
and how did it end up at Hartwins.

PettyMower

Did you see the Hartwin's ad I posted showing a Daytona's presence in September '69?

You don't think it could have originally been shipped to Hartwin?

ramairthree

I could have sworn I looked at the shipping list a couple of times over the years and no F6 cars went to Mass.

Anyone that could check again for me?

And thanks for posting the ad, very cool.

hemigeno

There are four shown on the list as having initially been shipped to Massachussetts.  No Hemicars, incidentally.  It's impossible to say whether these were actually delivered to the listed dealership, or whether they were delivered and later traded off to another dealer... but it's still the best we have to go on.  FWIW, there's no Hartwin, Hartwins or Hartwin's listed as a dealer name.  Here's the 4 cars and the listed cities of delivery.

355111  Cambridge, F6 with black interior according to my info

356506  Boston, I don't have any details on this car

379726  Chicopee, V2 with black interior

400585  Lowell, V2 with white interior

:cheers:

ramairthree

My friend had the theory the F6 with white interior and white wing had originally gone to a dealership in Vermont,
and that ended up dealer traded to Hartwins.

Then again, with some info missing on the Mass cars,
who knows.  Thank you for taking the time the check.