News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Your opinion on the worst mistakes when buying a Project Charger

Started by DLea, October 19, 2014, 10:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DLea

So you finally seen that Charger you always wanted, or perhaps you seen a Charger for a great deal that you couldn't pass up on..... It's now been years later and your either staring at your car far from being road worthy or perhaps your looking at all of your hard work finally done but cost you 5x more then you wanted.

As most of you know, I'm no proud owner. Of course that doesn't stop me for looking. I ran into my fair share of Charger Projects, but it takes a lot to figure out one thing that will come in your head.. "What the hell was I thinking"..

So I ask of you... if you could, what would you do if you could do it all over again...?

Another project that I am looking at is a 1978 440 that does not come with a title and does not roll and the Guy wants $2000, so I ask myself the long road question. Is it a mistake to buy a Charger without a title in the long run.

70 sublime

Looks like a good parts car
$2000 might not be too bad if you go into it thinking it will be a parts car but by having it and really looking it all over when you get it home
Clean all the junk out then jack it up and look at the under side
Will be easy to see what to look for in a better car and may save you $$ in the long run

Even better it seems mostly together to get all those little bolts and screws and a patern of how and where they go
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

RallyeMike

QuoteSo I ask of you... if you could, what would you do if you could do it all over again...?

I always buy mostly complete cars with minimal rust and a clear title. They are out there, and even at reasonable prices. You have to be patient, actively looking at the market, following leads, ready to jump, and willing to travel. I have always been willing to buy a car without and engine trans or interior, but I will not buy a basket case in boxes with the expectation that "everything is there".

If I could do it all over again, I'd go wave $2000 in front of that Daytona owner in the early 90's. I would have bought that 71 Hemi Roadrunner for $3500. I would have bought both of those 426 Hemi engines in the wrecking yard in 1980, etc. ......., ......, ...., ... .. .
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Dino

The worst mistake when buying a project Charger is buying a project Charger.   :icon_smile_big:

There's only one real good reason to buy a project and that's wanting to restore one yourself.  If this is not the case then don't buy a project because it will cost you more time, money, and energy than buying a driver or better.

There are always good deals to be found in anything, but that doesn't mean it's always a good idea to buy them. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

myk

There's only one mistake, and that's buying a project PERIOD.  Unless you are looking to spend countless hours and dollars rebuilding a car and losing your cash in the process, buy the most complete and finished car that you can afford.  Leave the basket case resurrections to the reality t.v. shows like Overhaulin...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Ghoste

If you are buying a project because you want a project and you enjoy the challenge of the resurrection then you already know that road.  If you are buying a project because its cheap and fits your budget then you are in for nothing but disappointment.

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

tan top

what the other guys say  :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:   :cheers: 

also buy the most original ,  most rot free , unrestored , complete car you can find , , even if your plans are  to do a nut & resto . 

don't be taken in by fresh shiny paint , new wheels & chrome valve covers , etc ...

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

69rtse4spd

If I knew the Hellcat was coming 20 years ago, saved my money & got two. But what everone one else is saying, & learn to say no to your buddies. One of my buddies called Sat. having a garage sale, moving, yea we all know where this is going. Got a complete 383 drilled for a 4-speed, stroker kit for a small block, 440 cast crank & other parts for a good price. The motor I can use for the other Silver Charger, the other stuff I will sale at a good price just to make my money back. Will be listing later when I get it home. 

John_Kunkel

Judging from the pics, a missing title would be the least of your worries.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

mightywing7

Agree too with the rest of the other posts that a project Charger is not something that should be handled for the novice (or even the most experienced based on the costs required).  Looking at the pictures that were provided along with the title issue, i would pass on this Charger......
1968 Dodge Charger R/T - 440 Magnum, 727
1968 Dodge Charger - 318, 904
1985 Chrysler LeBaron Turbo Convertible, Mark Cross - 2.2L Turbo
1987 Buick Grand National - 3.8L SFI Turbo
2006 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe, Supercharged 3.2L
2006 Chrysler 300C SRT-8, 6.1L HEMI

70 sublime

Some of you guys seem to think the only Charger that can be driven in public is one that is better restored than when it was new and that is why you are spending $40 $50 $60 grand on them to get there

I know I do not have that kind of $$ to spend

There is something to be said to take any car that is dead and get it far enough along that it can be driven on the road safely as a starting point

Just make sure the dream car you start with has a good frame in it and the rest any one can do if you want to learn a few things along the way
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Ghoste

It isn't that, its that starting with a derelict like the one pictured wil EASILY end up costing more than one already finished.  Justy trying to save the OP a lot of money and grief.  Like you said, its a parts car.

six-tee-nine

Get as much car as you can afford. Its easy to say you should buy a car already restored because it will cost more to restore one.
Alot of guys (me included) just cant afford one that got a top shelf restoration. plain simple.

So get yourself as much car as you can. overbuy yourself if you have to, you might save extra cash later on. Buy a car as complete as you can.
I will never buy a project in boxes, since you never know what is missing an what went where.

As for a 2nd gen Charger, look for one with a good grille and all the trim if you can. Dont look for one with a nice rust free trunk floor.
I'd buy a driver/project if I could do it all over again. I think 10K gets you a nice starting point.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Troy

Speaking as a guy with a garage full of project cars... Don't!

Honestly, I hate working on cars and I only own them because I love driving them. Therefore, it makes no sense at all to buy a project and throw several years and a giant pile of cash at it just to finally have one to drive. Even more if you have to pay someone to work on it! Buy a driver and turn it into a project for someone else! I'm extra dumb because I can't figure it out the first time and keep buying cars that are "good deals" even though I could buy a house for what it will cost to restore them all.

If you have skills to do rust repair, body panel replacement/alignment, paint, interior, electrical, and mechanical and your time is worth nothing it will still cost a bundle to "restore" a Charger. Not as much to just make one roadworthy. Depends on your final goal I guess. If you are this person and building a car is "fun" then you already know this. For anyone else it's hard, frustrating, and often leads to selling everything off at a loss. A good deal for the next guy in a sense.

Which brings up another point: tools. I have more money tied up in tools and shop space than it would have cost to buy a restored car to begin with. Part of this is my logic that, since I have so many cars, the cost of the tools is split several ways. Sounds like a great idea until you figure out that your tools better last 40 years because that's how long it will take to finish. ;)

A "finished" car still takes money. If you use it things will break - and there's always maintenance. If you like tinkering then this is the route to go. Skip the daunting restoration-in-a-garage and go right for the prize.

In most states, title rules follow from the state where you purchased the car. Don't touch it until you know exactly how much hassle it will be to get a new/replacement title. Unless of course you plan on working on it forever.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

gtx6970

Best advise I can offer is
Buy the best most complete car you can afford

also,,,, do your very best to not  buy rust.

70 Charger X2

The best advice I can give is don't do as I did and buy one for next to nothing in excellent shape drive it everyday, love it then go completely stupid and trade it in to a dealer for something else that you thought you wanted only to have it be the worst Chrysler product you have ever owned. Then after all that and a voluntary repossession because what you bought again was the worst Chrysler product you ever owned and was a money pit, buy a drivable Rust Bomb Charger to replace the one you NEVER should have let go with hopes and dreams of making it a respectable driver again. The only good part of this story is I sold the Rust Bomb after driving it for 6 months for exactly what I paid for it to someone that was restoring his.

Like another member said to don't let your heart get ahead of your brain and think long and hard about your finances your abilities and your time then go Charger hunting. IF I ever have a chance to get another one it will be at least something I can drive and enjoy and maybe do a little work to. In this case of the 68 that you have pictured here if you don't have something at home that needs some parts I would leave this one where it is. I know the days of buying and selling these cars like I did when I was younger to keep getting a better one are long gone which is why I enjoy this site and watching you guys work on yours. I have gotten most of the ones I owned in diecast now and I am holding onto my 04 Mustang for as long as I can because I know it is not a Charger but it is a good alternative. I would regret letting it go almost as much as my best 70 in the long run and that is a mistake I don't want to make again.

Little more than 2 cents but I think you get the idea.

Paulie

Dmichels

That mess will cost more to make in to a decent car then you could buy one for outright. It is a parts car only. The only way I would restore something like that is if it was rare. I bought a mostly complete driver back in 1992. I have over $25,000 into a non original base model Charger that I would be lucky to get my money out of today. I did all the work myself except the paint. I could have never afforded to pay someone to do all that work.  Don't get me wrong I am not bitter I loved driving and working on that car for the last 20 years. A mess like that is not a deal. Save your money and buy something in better shape. In the long run you will be happy and have saved ALOT of money. Sorry for being blunt.
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

70 Charger X2

Quote from: Dmichels on February 14, 2015, 09:08:36 AM
That mess will cost more to make in to a decent car then you could buy one for outright. It is a parts car only. The only way I would restore something like that is if it was rare. I bought a mostly complete driver back in 1992. I have over $25,000 into a non original base model Charger that I would be lucky to get my money out of today. I did all the work myself except the paint. I could have never afforded to pay someone to do all that work.  Don't get me wrong I am not bitter I loved driving and working on that car for the last 20 years. A mess like that is not a deal. Save your money and buy something in better shape. In the long run you will be happy and have saved ALOT of money. Sorry for being blunt.
Dave

I don't think you need to be sorry for being blunt because you speak the truth in your reply to the question. 
If the one you have now is that sweet looking red 68 that is your avatar I would say you have done a fine job with it.  :cheers:   Looks like my first one just without the dents and a much shinier paint job.
Hang onto it my friend because trust me when I say you will never forgive yourself if you let it go.  :brickwall:

Paulie

tomfed

The best thing you can do is buy one done.i've built many 68-70 charger's in that shape or worse for many year's leave that one in pic right where it is.........Trust me unless you can do the work your self and got a moutain of cash and thats what you want then GOD BLESS YOU.The muscle car market is soft now.Here's your chance to buy a good charger.

Sendero

I bought my Charger in 1985. It was a good solid rust free driver.  It was a lot of money to me ( at my salary) at the time of purchase but it needed zero work. I still have it and I have enjoyed driving it every year since 1985. As I have no regrets with that path and have spent very little money over 30 years on her my advice is to buy a very good driver....and then just have fun !

green69rt

Quote from: Ghoste on October 20, 2014, 05:16:02 AM
If you are buying a project because you want a project and you enjoy the challenge of the resurrection then you already know that road.  If you are buying a project because its cheap and fits your budget then you are in for nothing but disappointment.

What he said!!

Nacho-RT74

THE FIRST MISTAKE BUYING A PROJECT CHARGER OR WHATEVER MOPAR IS BELIEVE YOU'LL FIND REPLACEMENT PARTS EVERYWHERE.

yeah right, if was a Camaro, Or Mustang, or BelAir, Or VW Beetle you could be close to the truth, but not when talking Mopar Language
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Lennard

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on April 11, 2015, 01:44:09 PM
THE FIRST MISTAKE BUYING A PROJECT CHARGER OR WHATEVER MOPAR IS BELIEVE YOU'LL FIND REPLACEMENT PARTS EVERYWHERE.
Yeah right, if was a Camaro, Or Mustang, or BelAir, Or VW Beetle you could be close to the truth, but not when talking Mopar Language
And Mopar/Charger parts are $$$$$$$$$$$

1974dodgecharger

STOP expecting perfection....whats wrong with just adding brakes, engine, tranny and get it running and driving it like a rat rod or something?

People look at magazines and see all this beaty and think oh that's only 20k car I can do that.... :brickwall:

Brock Lee

I did it right. I decided to skip the cars that were not roadworthy. Issues were okay. But I waited for a car to come along within my budget that could be driven. Square away the mechanical issues and deal with the body issues later after you enjoy it a bit. I have bought non-roadworthy Chargers and they need so much from the get go that after the honeymoon phase wears off and you are still looking at tens of thousands of dollars in parts and work, or years before you can drive it a mile, it drains you.

Mefirst

When I decided to start look for and buy an old American car, the 1st and most important rule I gave myself was -I will NOT buy a car that needs body work...
I have since then changed out the whole drive train and rebuilt almost everything mechanical/electrical. Sadly, after 12 years, the body is starting to show signs of some issues, so I still may have to learn to weld and do bodywork :eek2:

/Tom

Nacho-RT74

best body and most complete trim parts makes the deal... rest is "piece of cake"
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

JoeAmato

Bodywork is the most costly area of restoration, without question. Stay away from rusted hulks commonly found on ebay for several grand. The cost to properly repair rotted panels and floors is ridiculous. Mopars are notorious for rusting around the firewall/torsion bar/trunk areas. Throw down the extra cash and buy a rust free project, trust me!  :cheers: