News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 Dashes and parts verses 69 with AC (not the same)

Started by oldcarnut, October 22, 2014, 09:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

I'm pretty sure I read here somewhere that the dash frames for B-Body was the same 68-70 other than the ac vs non-ac vents cut outs and speaker holes.  If wrong please correct me.  Where I'm a little confused is the lower dash pads between the models.  I'm going to eventually add AC to my RR / Bird clone. Trying to think ahead I thought I would just build my new dash with the ac frame and use the stock vent locations instead of having them hang under the dash with the Classic or Vintage air systems.  I have 2 extra ac dash frames (69 I think) and an extra non ac sitting in the rafters I can prebuild. Mine is a non ac with the hard plastic lower dash pads.  I haven't been able to locate any repop dash pad sets other than non-ac.  Dantes has a 3 pc set for the non ac.  Some places I see lists a center ac pad but describes as soft type for Charger and not the hard plastic.  Are the 70 Chargers different than the RR or Coronets or were the AC cars done in vinyl instead of plastic?  Looking at 70 GTX's for sale, the ac pads look like the hard plastic to me.  I may have the vinyl pads sitting around but the key hole would be wrong since 70 has the key in the column.  For you guys that have the aftermarket ac vent kits hanging under the dash, how much leg room does it sacrifice and is the cooling of the car good?  If so maybe I should just stay with the non ac frame.  Any thoughts?

Shakey

Re: Chargers - in '69 the ignition was in the dash and in '70 it was in the steering column.

Yes, AC vs. non-AC dashes were different and some had a single speaker and some had three speakers.

Sorry, can't say about the other B-Bodies.

oops - after posting this I see you addressed the Charger differences in your original post.

The difference between "skimming" a post and reading it.   :pity:

oldcarnut

Well I called Dantes today and he said nobody repops the AC middle pad so its a used one or nothing.

b5blue

http://www.classicautoair.com/68_70_Mopar%20B-Body_Air_Conditioning_Mopar_AC.html  Scroll down near the bottom of the page. 70 would be hard plastic on all dash pads and box door. Also Glove box on 70 opens down not up like 68-69.  :2thumbs:

fy469rtse

PG classic
now has the re pop pads for 68 69 ,
padded , stitching line not present ,
but anyone making a new part is a bonus,
they also make the hard plastic ones for 70 models

oldcarnut

I looked at PG's site but they don't have the center with air listed and they say their center for 70 is done in vinyl http://www.pgclassic.com/index.php?cPath=37_76 which got me to thinking some were maybe different originally.  I did call Classic after reading the post and they said they make their own with replacement vents to sell for AC cars at $149.  I don't know how I missed that when I went there earlier so thanks  :2thumbs:.  However they only have adapters to attach to the side vents.  I should be able to reverse the glove box lid on the 69 frame.  Sooo then I had to pull down the frames from the rafters to check what all was there and found they have everything I need to start redoing another dash while the old one stays in the car.  Also found one of them has the complete dash pads across for 69 AC cars and with a little cleanup should look good.  I'll list them on Ebay and get some $ to finance the changeover for the 70.  Thanks guys for the info. :cheers:

b5blue

Bill did his own mod to attach all vents from Classic's A/C to factory locations. You will just need the centers plastic duct assy. that fits behind the vent.  :2thumbs:

oldcarnut

Has anyone seen that classic center piece?  How does the grain match the other two pieces.  One of the other venders told me its different and would not match the glove box and left side and would stand out.  I blew up the classic picture and does look smaller grain wise compared to what I have.  I can tolerance something close but not way off.  Any confirmation?

b5blue

My camera is kinda crappy but I'll take pics of my 70 Charger's for you tomorrow if you want?  :scratchchin:

oldcarnut

That would be nice but I can take your judgement on what you think about them matching.  Here's what mine is like.  Im taking the pads of the other frame and some other stuff at the moment. Did you get one of theirs for ac install?

b5blue

Sorry for the misunderstanding. My 70 Charger came with A/C when new. Most of the original equipment was long gone before I bought it. Classic is about 20 miles from me so I'm going to use their system to put A/C to my original dash/vents.
  I replaced my glovebox door last year and did notice a slight grain texture difference also. (So I get what you are wondering about.) 

oldcarnut

After getting a nice 3 speaker ac dash frame restored, media blasted, painted, and ordering new pads etc, the one I have will not work for a 70 pad mounting  :mad:  The holes are located different which is not that big of a deal but the 70 mounts are recessed which I can't duplicate  :brickwall:   Back to square one and all that time --poof-wasted. Pictures B.O dash is my 70  Blk is earlier. I bet the center pad is the same way. Maybe it help someone else out

TexasStroker

Oh man, sorry to see that...

Hopefully you can find a solution...I'd imagine you can shop the restored dash frame pretty easy.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

b5blue

Jeeze more slight differences from 68-69-70 I never knew of.  :eek2:  All that work!  :brickwall:

oldcarnut

I pulled my 70 dash frame and redid it.  Just got to find time to bolt everything up.  Already went and cut the ac side vents in it.  So for the sake of comparison here's 3 shots of the 70 locations and holes then more of the 69 following those.  Summing up for the most part differences in part; radio slots, glove box mounting, dash pad configuration, key mounting and something else I'll add later when I remember what it was.

oldcarnut

Now the 68-69 in addition to previous post.  I assume but not sure those are the same  :shruggy: 

TexasStroker

That ash try looks nice!  Never would have known the mounting bosses were different for the lower dash pads.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!