News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is a bigger air filter good or bad?

Started by 1974dodgecharger, October 24, 2014, 11:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I have always put as big as I could fit without looking ridiculous.  Less restriction in and out makes a better air pump is my rationale.

BSB67

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

Depends on the base. If you put a ridiculous drop base on it in order to fit a monster cleaner, you could be creating a restriction. In most cases, the avg 12-14" x 2-3" filter is plenty. Best way to tell is at the track.

don duick

also worth considering cold air induction you will notice an improvement

1974dodgecharger

Drop base is bad?  I have a drop base in there now It hink inch and half its a ford drop base for the mopar performance top can to fit.  I took my hood off already...figure I will drive around with out for awhile till I can find a cheap hood and put a hemi scoop in there.

Ghoste

Drop base is bad if it brings the lid too close to the carb inlet.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Ghoste on October 25, 2014, 11:35:50 PM
Drop base is bad if it brings the lid too close to the carb inlet.

fudgiscles!  thanks for that info will get my mopar base in there now since I don't have a hood and added a 2inch spacer.

BSB67

Generally, if you have an inch and a half between the lid and the base at the carb opening, you have enough space for it to not be a restriction.

Obviously, the contour of the top to the base will dictate where the first restriction will actually be, but that is about the place.  There are formula for determining the minimum amount of surface area for the filter element.  I believe that there is a dead zone at the base, maybe the lid too, and the filters that are part of the air cleaner lid don't actually help much IIRC.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on October 25, 2014, 08:54:06 PM
Drop base is bad?  I have a drop base in there now It hink inch and half its a ford drop base for the mopar performance top can to fit.  I took my hood off already...figure I will drive around with out for awhile till I can find a cheap hood and put a hemi scoop in there.

I said a ridiculous drop base. The 1 1/2 -2" jobs that most guys run is far from ridiculous. I mean the ones thatbare trying to jam a 7" thick filter under the hood.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on October 26, 2014, 08:38:40 AM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on October 25, 2014, 08:54:06 PM

I said a ridiculous drop base. The 1 1/2 -2" jobs that most guys run is far from ridiculous. I mean the ones thatbare trying to jam a 7" thick filter under the hood.

WOW, didn't know such major drops existed!!!!!!!  Man, I have never seen one that low  :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

c00nhunterjoe

2" are hard to come by. But pay attention the the rat rods at car cruises and you will see some ridiculous customozed air cleaners.

1974dodgecharger

I was looking at the KandN filter that is 13inchs, but 6inches tall.....im at 2.5inches as is.  this is with the ford drop right now...going back to the original mopar bottom part. 

BSB67

It is not the drop, it is the combination of drop and filter height.

At the end of the day, when you are trying to get a tall intake to work on a flat hood B body, it comes down to carb to hood clearance.  If you have enough clearance there, you can get some combination of air cleaner components to work.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

mhinders

I contacted K&N filters European support, asking for a mechanical drawing of their drop base air cleaners...I got the reply below...looks like they are guarding their rocket science sheet metal...  :brickwall:
-----------
The drop base dimension will be from the bottom of the neck where the base plate is mounted onto the carburetor flange to the bottom of the base plate where the filter comes onto. We have a policy not to share any drawings with 3rd parties.
-----------
Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection

Ghoste

Most corporations have a policy about that stuff though.

Cooter

Quote from: don duick on October 25, 2014, 04:34:34 PM

Wasn't a fan of the 'tuner' look until I read how much hot Underwood air was costing me. Now, it's 3" piping and cold air.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

don duick

Quote from: Cooter on October 28, 2014, 06:25:03 AM
Quote from: don duick on October 25, 2014, 04:34:34 PM

Wasn't a fan of the 'tuner' look until I read how much hot Underwood air was costing me. Now, it's 3" piping and cold air.

:2thumbs: