News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'71 Hits the Paint Booth

Started by 71charger_fan, October 25, 2014, 10:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71charger_fan

Firewall stripped. I collected the dash pieces yesterday to reassemble it myself. I didn't take it apart. Any photos of 3rd gen dashes from the firewall side would be greatly appreciated.

71charger_fan

Today, I started putting the dash back together. Since I didn't take it apart, it'll take me a while to get it back together. I don't even know that I all the parts. I bought a Classic Dash gauge cluster. However, I am not happy with the fit and will likely just eat the cost of it and go back to the factory cluster.

CFMopar

Ah that's shit.  I thought of buying that but got a great deal on a 2nd rally cluster and plan to retro fit it with new gauges. 
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

ACUDANUT

I don't think it looks like shit. Kinda cool  :cheers: :cheers:

71charger_fan

Passenger fender done, on to the driver fender.

CFMopar

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 20, 2021, 09:53:57 AM
I don't think it looks like shit. Kinda cool  :cheers: :cheers:

Sorry not saying it looks like shit.  It's shit that he's not happy with fit.
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

71charger_fan

Front clip primed and now it cures for a few weeks.

71charger_fan

Dashboard slowly going back together. I went back to a factory cluster using an AM/FM Bluetooth radio from antiqueautomobileradio.com. Not sure if I have the ashtray in correctly or the bracket for the ductwork attached in the correct place.

71charger_fan

Went to the shop today to pick up my old dash harness and snapped some photos.

71charger_fan

The American Autowire update wiring harness I'm using has no provision for the concealed headlamp doors. Today, I unwrapped the dash harness that came out of the car to separate out the blue/yellow and black/red wire pair that carry the open/close signal from the relay to the motor.

AKcharger

Not sure if your past this point but heres some photos of dash/firewall

71charger_fan

I would love some dash/firewall photos.

AKcharger

ACUDANUT

71charger_fan

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 28, 2021, 09:35:15 PM
No paint in 8 years ??
It was painted and looked good under fluorescent light. When I got it out in the sun, the search began for someone who could do it over and do it well.

71charger_fan

I worked out all the hookups from the American Autowire harness to the factory cluster. Now to unplug everything and make it neat. I'm thinking of wiring a second, single DIN, modern radio, mounted in the glovebox in to the mix. I could just turn off the repro one in the dash and use the JVC with a couple thousand songs on a thumb drive for road trips. I have the radio and there are extra accessory circuits.

71charger_fan

He thinks he's about a month away from cut and buff.

71charger_fan

Getting a handle on taming the wiring rat's nest.

71charger_fan

Coming together.

71charger_fan

Fully blocked and in final prime. Sand the gloss off of the final prime, sealer, then, finally, color.

71charger_fan

This afternoon, I integrated my American Autowire harness with my Flaming River steering column. The turn signal switch pin outs on the column matched the American Autowire connector but it was not plug and play. The column connector was a Pack-Con and the harness connector was Delco-Remy. So I had to unpin the Flaming River connector and put those pins into the connector that came with the harness. Then I had to connect the ignition switch to the harness.

71charger_fan

The inside of the driver frame rail had a rust through that had been covered up with seam sealer then painted over. Now, it's actually fixed with steel.

71charger_fan

More rust turned up in the corners of the engine compartment that had been covered with seam sealer and painted over.

71charger_fan

Broken spot weld on the core support that had been "fixed" with seam sealer and painted over.

71charger_fan

Originally thought that the engine bay was good to go, but after all the half-assed body work that had been done to the rest of the car it too was stripped and treated.