News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'71 Hits the Paint Booth

Started by 71charger_fan, October 25, 2014, 10:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71charger_fan

I switched the wires in the American Autowire front lighting plug to the factory color scheme.

71charger_fan

What I truly hope are the last two rust holes. They're in the back side of the core support on the passenger side. A patch cut out of an old Chevy truck cab corner and it's good as new.

71charger_fan

The front lighting harness is done and ready to go in. I checked continuity through the whole thing today. I've taken the engine/ignition harness as far as I can without the engine and transmission in the car. I have to make the plug that connects to the neutral safety/reverse light switch but that has to wait until I can be certain how long to make the leads. I also have to determine length for the electric choke lead and ignition power and tach leads.

71charger_fan

The engine bay is stripped, de-rusted, and zinc treated.

71charger_fan

Bed liner instead of paint for inside the front fenders should prove much more protective.

ACUDANUT

Why didn't the factory do this ?

71charger_fan

There's no upside for the manufacturer to make it last forever.

hemi-hampton

They did put some heavy duty under coating in some of these front Fenders Backsides. LEON.

71charger_fan

He just keeps finding rust that had been hidden under seam sealer and paint. Fortunately, since he worked from back to front, he's about out of possible places to find more.

71charger_fan

After finding, and fixing, one more rust through, the front of the unibody got a coat of epoxy primer.

71charger_fan

More bedliner. Engine bay color probably tomorrow.

71charger_fan

Previous body shop painted over rust inside the front valance. Of course they did.

71charger_fan

Finally have base coat going on. Too bad the lighting washes out the color.

Bob T

Good efforts man  :2thumbs:
Bedliner was the right call under the fenders too I reckon.
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

hemi-hampton

is that FC7 Plum Crazy Purple?

71charger_fan

71charger_fan

I got the dash assembled. I still have to retrieve the ashtray and glovebox doors, but I think it's 95% done.

71charger_fan

Color looks better with the car out of the booth but it's still florescent light.

71charger_fan

Fenders back on for what I really hope is the last time. Previous sad attempt to fix the trunk lip cut out and redone and underside of the trunk in primer.

71charger_fan

More body color went on today.

71charger_fan

Not much to see as work has moved to prepping inside the trunk.

71charger_fan

Bedliner on the trunk floor, bedliner tinted body color inside the quarter panels and behind the bumper.

71charger_fan

The rust hidden under paint and seam sealer on the front valance has been blasted away.

AKcharger

well...that car will be solid till at least 2310!

71charger_fan

All it takes is one idiot texting while driving and it's all for nothing.