News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Delusional Charger sellers

Started by Homerr, November 09, 2014, 02:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ws23rt

I think I fit well into the delusional charger seller category. :icon_smile_wink:

A couple of years ago I decided to sell my C500 and joined this site to get an idea about how the market was.

Since that time I've come down in price to the a point where I would rather keep it than sell. My attempts to advertise have been minimal and the response I've had tell me my price is still high. :shruggy:

I no longer consider myself delusional about my cars value on the market because of all the great information I've gathered since joining this site. But my price remains where it is and that's without delusion. It reflects my degree of motivation to sell.

So the point of my post on this is that (as many have said before) a persons asking price does not necessarily mean they have a good grip of what the market will bare. For some (like me in the beginning) it is a place to learn about the market.

It is true however that some prices are so off the chart that they beg for the blasting they get. :smilielol:

Homerr

Quote from: chargerperson on July 21, 2015, 07:49:03 PM
Quote from: DeltaV on July 21, 2015, 07:44:20 PM
Seems high to me

http://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/5130032774.html

I like the part of the ad that says only $10,000 - $12,000 to complete!

That guy has been trying to not sell this car for years now.  It seems he's bumped his price up another $4,000.  It's probably a rusty hulk now.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Dino on July 21, 2015, 09:46:45 PM
True, and therein lies the problem; these cars are lousy investments!  My low risk stock funds make more than my car would ever bring, which is why I drive it, fix and improve it, and rinse and repeat!

It's a car and as long as you use it as such, life is good.   :coolgleamA:

I think the they are a better investment than any 401K plan. :Twocents:

Ghoste

Really?  Ask some of the others who made that same assumption and bought their dream investment on wheels back in 2007.

super77se

another crack smoker

25 thousand dollars , im sure 10000 of it is for the dual quad

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5129246217.html

1974dodgecharger

On a sad day I can come to this thread and laugh, lol....

cbrestorations

True, and therein lies the problem; these cars are lousy investments!  My low risk stock funds make more than my car would ever bring, which is why I drive it, fix and improve it, and rinse and repeat!

i dont think they are lousy investment, ive been able to buy and sell a few to put the $ earned into my own cars. i have bought and sold a charger in the same day and made 8k profit. yes i know thats a rarity but it still happened

Dino

That's indeed a rarity, but good job nonetheless!   :2thumbs:

If you look at the big picture though, very few ever got a lot of money out of keeping one of these cars, high pedigree cars not withstanding of course.  A Hemi Daytona will always bring a few bucks.   ;)

Even if you do sell a car for profit when compared to the purchase price, you still have to count in storage, time spent working on the car, straightnup repair or resto cost, and inflation.  Buying a car in '02 for $5K and selling it in '12 for $8K does not equate to profit.

My point was simply that there's way better options to invest in and if it has to be a car then you have to start spending a whole lot more than muscle car money.

I've made rwice the insured value of my car since buying it in '11 by investing in a no risk stock fund.  I can't work on a car for that.

It's a fun job though, I enjoyed buying cars, patching them up, and throwing them back on the market. I made decent money doing this as well, but it wasn't that spectacular either.   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

cbrestorations

Quote from: Dino on July 25, 2015, 04:48:55 PM
That's indeed a rarity, but good job nonetheless!   :2thumbs:

If you look at the big picture though, very few ever got a lot of money out of keeping one of these cars, high pedigree cars not withstanding of course.  A Hemi Daytona will always bring a few bucks.   ;)

Even if you do sell a car for profit when compared to the purchase price, you still have to count in storage, time spent working on the car, straightnup repair or resto cost, and inflation.  Buying a car in '02 for $5K and selling it in '12 for $8K does not equate to profit.

My point was simply that there's way better options to invest in and if it has to be a car then you have to start spending a whole lot more than muscle car money.

I've made rwice the insured value of my car since buying it in '11 by investing in a no risk stock fund.  I can't work on a car for that.

It's a fun job though, I enjoyed buying cars, patching them up, and throwing them back on the market. I made decent money doing this as well, but it wasn't that spectacular either.   :lol:

you are right about that, but ive found that buying base model cars and restomoding them with modern day engines, trans. brakes, suspension and wheels brings good profit. most of the time more $ than original r/t's   

Dino

That's good to know, especially since mine is going in that  direction.   :icon_smile_big:

I have very little knowledge on restomod value.  I see the asking prices but I never know what they sell for.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Drache

1969 Charger
Numbers Matching
Build Sheet
Fender tag
383, factory 4bbl
Auto, column shift
Buddy Seat
Mostly original car
Original interior,
Small trans leak,
Car drives and runs awesome, currently licensed and insured and driven.
Car needs lower quarters, rear valence, drivers floor needs patch.
Car had a body and paint around 1972ish

$30,000

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Drache

1972 charger
Was parked 2-3 years ago as a running car fuel lines were disconnected and drained
Car is from Nevada. And brought to Canada 3 years
Have the paper for transporting it
Only has one panel with rust ( lower passenger quarter panel) everything else is sold
This cars are quite rare being that it is was built very early in 72 that numbered matching drive train is 71 and ending up with the Dana 60

$20,000

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

1974dodgecharger

VegasCharger

Not a Charger but it is a 2nd gen B Body

Comes with custom heater water shut off valve.

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/5139412212.html

skip68

:o
I'm thinking he meant $6,000.    If not then he's a crack smoker. 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

cbrestorations

wow, that satellite has to be by far the most delusional seller so far...

rick@laysons

Lord Warlock

for a duster??? jeezus my charger should be worth 50k+ then. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

DeltaV

Quote from: rick@laysons on August 12, 2015, 05:04:59 PM
Delusional......well....maybe just a little bit......  ::)

http://www.rscollectibles.com/1973_Plymouth_Duster_Corning_IA_225719740.veh

That is crazy, but I might pay that for a 1970 or 1971 340 Duster with a stick. On second thought...$36k will get me a really nice and desirable Porsche.
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning. - Erwin Rommel

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Lord Warlock on August 12, 2015, 05:41:06 PM
for a duster??? jeezus my charger should be worth 50k+ then. 

A '73 no less.

Lord Warlock

I liked the looks of some dusters and demons, and would have bought one with a 340 and a 4spd back in the old days, but the charger was always many steps above the small block dusters.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Davtona

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 24, 2015, 02:19:21 PM

I think the they are a better investment than any 401K plan. :Twocents:

Quote from: Ghoste on July 25, 2015, 07:20:43 AM
Really?  Ask some of the others who made that same assumption and bought their dream investment on wheels back in 2007.

As with most investments the timing and the time frame involved is everything. Depends on what car was bought and when. A large plunge into the stock market in 2007 over a short time frame would have been a very bad idea same as buying your dream car investment at that time. However if you got into cars back in the day when people told you that you were nuts for buying that junk you have done real well. We must remember why we have these cars sometimes. We have them and collect them because we love them not necessarily as investments. The appreciation of these cars is a secondary bonus and for the most part the large jumps in value were over many years ago.  :Twocents:

GOTWING

Easy on the 73's now Mytur !  :icon_smile_angry:  :lol:

Homerr

Quote from: GOTWING on August 14, 2015, 08:18:01 AM
Easy on the 73's now Mytur !  :icon_smile_angry:  :lol:

Don't worry, you can always look down on the '74's.