News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Delusional Charger sellers

Started by Homerr, November 09, 2014, 02:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk

Quote from: cbrestorations on February 09, 2016, 11:27:35 AM
i know we base the looks of the rear corners on if its a bondo buggy or not seeing them mudded over, but also theres people who dont like seeing those lines. i think it looks better without the lines, more clean lookin. you dot really see any restomod with those corners visable

Exactly.  When my car was in the shop I asked them to make those lines disappear.  Doesn't make sense to me to have a series of gaps in the body there when the rest of the car is so smooth.  Just my opinion but I think the valance corners are unsightly...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

alfaitalia

Quote from: Challenger340 on February 09, 2016, 11:03:18 AM
I give up !
my pet peeve with these cars....

WHY do people go to all the time and expense restoring, then bondo over the rear valence corners ? and still ask $89K ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Charger-R-T-/161969916009?forcerrptr=true&hash=item25b628c869:g:2U0AAOSwGotWtVGD&item=161969916009

A lot of cash but it sure is pretty....................ignoring the carbon dash and shockingly badly fitted headlining!! Pity he could not afford enough exhaust tube to make it to the back of the car!!!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

timmycharger

I personally like the body lines in the corners as it breaks it up, but I will admit to being annoyed by folks who immediately think that the car is loaded with filler if they are smoothed over.

On my car, I personally welded in the corners, quarters and valance panel and due to the crappy quality of the skins I was using, had to smooth them over and re cut the lines to make them look decent.

I'm sure there will be people that will immediately think I just mudded over rust to hide something but I don't care, its my car and I know what's under there.  :Twocents:

Dreamcar

Quote from: Challenger340 on February 09, 2016, 10:56:33 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Charger-R-T-440-Magnum-/231838251644?forcerrptr=true&hash=item35faa2fa7c:g:gIgAAOSw8-tWZd4S&item=231838251644

And Green, Green, with Green.

He might get the $49K ?     What was he asking before ?

If this was non-ebay sale, I'd say ok, he's starting at 49 and will likely accept a lesser and more realistic amount. But starting bids at 49K? Wow!

After looking at the pictures including the rusty fender tag, I wonder what's hiding in areas that you don't see. Also, is that an unpainted replacement trunk pan? Look at the wheel wells from inside the trunk right where the rubberized coating stops..Looks like rust to me and if it's that bad there, it likely worse in other areas. I'm wondering what's hiding under that vinyl top.  :-\

"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

6spd68

I give up !

WHY do people go to all the time and expense restoring, then bondo over the rear valence corners ? and still ask $89K ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Charger-R-T-/161969916009?forcerrptr=true&hash=item25b628c869:g:2U0AAOSwGotWtVGD&item=161969916009

Another top notch product from Van Guard...  :eyes:
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

Lord Warlock

those corners seem to all get dented sooner or later, and fixing them its easy to fill in the gaps. I know when I was fixing a small dent where the bumper was hit and pushed in the top edge/corner, I ended up cutting it out and welding in a new piece of metal and the welding filled the top half of the line, skim coat to level and the line disappears quite easily, and it looks cleaner.  Felt kinda stupid cutting the panel line but didn't want to have one side with and other side without. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

viper r/t

Quote from: myk on February 09, 2016, 11:32:19 AM
Quote from: cbrestorations on February 09, 2016, 11:27:35 AM
i know we base the looks of the rear corners on if its a bondo buggy or not seeing them mudded over, but also theres people who dont like seeing those lines. i think it looks better without the lines, more clean lookin. you dot really see any restomod with those corners visable

Exactly.  When my car was in the shop I asked them to make those lines disappear.  Doesn't make sense to me to have a series of gaps in the body there when the rest of the car is so smooth.  Just my opinion but I think the valance corners are unsightly...

Exactly!

Those end caps look tacky.

Most of the guys that like them, probably only like 14 inch tires also.  :Twocents:

Kern Dog

I give up !

It isn't always Bondo. Those that can weld may do it to suit their own tastes.

ws23rt

I give up !

I can answer this about my case where I filled in those lines. BTW I have heard of this peeve many times and it still feels to me like the objections are out of proportion to the offense. :Twocents:

I was working on replacing the lower portion of both quarter panels on my car and when putting a skim coat of filler for a few paint thickness low spots I chose to blend those pesky seams at the corners while I was at it. This was twenty years ago when that particular issue was a non issue ---and I was fixing my car for me as opposed to fixing it for the next owner should that happen.
Considering the size that this issue has become these days if I had a do over I would leave them alone (stock) just because of how much of a topic it has become. :shruggy:

I do get that if those seams are filled it clearly indicates that work has been done in that area. However if the seams are not filled it by no means is a tell that work has not been done in those areas. --Especially these days when the issue has been spoken of so much and almost become taboo. :slap:

1974dodgecharger

I used 10 gallons of bondo on mine....

crj1968

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on February 10, 2016, 12:41:15 AM
I used 10 gallons of bondo on mine....

:icon_smile_big:

Fuel tank is crooked too.  Its a cool looking car, but it just has that "off vibe." There shouldn't be sloppiness, and broken dash plastic at that price.

VegasCharger

I give up !

90K??? The dash cluster is hideous, no rear arm rests, seats look like crap especially the rear one, worm gear hose clamps...WTF!!!

Johnnymopar

Hi, this is my first post and I'm just trying to figure out a fair price to offer for my first Charger.  I'm looking for a solid driver/project 1969 or 1970, maybe a a 68 if the deal is right.  I know of six sitting outside.  A 1968 R/T, three 69's and two 70's.  There is also a few of the 71-74 body style lying around.  

I know a lot depends on body condition and how rusty they are, but they are complete and not taken apart.

The cars are non running, complete and sitting outside for years.  I have to see them again for a closer look rustwise but they seemed decent upon first look. I know that means little but that's all I got.  I did not take pictures out of respect for privacy.  

This is a good thread and I agree some of the prices I see are delusional to me.  

Dreamcar

Quote from: Johnnymopar on February 10, 2016, 03:25:26 AM
Hi, this is my first post and I'm just trying to figure out a fair price to offer for my first Charger.  I'm looking for a solid driver/project 1969 or 1970, maybe a a 68 if the deal is right.  I know of six sitting outside.  A 1968 R/T, three 69's and two 70's.  There is also a few of the 71-74 body style lying around.  

I know a lot depends on body condition and how rusty they are, but they are complete and not taken apart.

The cars are non running, complete and sitting outside for years.  I have to see them again for a closer look rustwise but they seemed decent upon first look. I know that means little but that's all I got.  I did not take pictures out of respect for privacy.  

This is a good thread and I agree some of the prices I see are delusional to me.  

Without pics, even giving you an estimate is almost impossible. But beware, if they've been sitting outdoors anywhere but the desert there will be rust hiding where you cannot see it. Sitting outside is one of the worst things. Plus, value will also depend on the model and options of each car, with the fender tag being the easiest place to look if the tag hasn't been removed. And having an engine in it doesn't mean it's the original. RT badges can be added too.

Basically, without pics and numbers (i.e. fender tag/first letters in the vin) giving you an approximate value is very difficult and is also somewhat subjective because everyone has an opinion.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

crj1968

:iagree:  too many variables. Is a rusty ratty car worth 5k if it needs 20k in parts? To some yes, to others no. Get some pics or ask to take some!

cbrestorations

ok so we know a rough 70 charger runner driver with no title will bring around 10k lol. was my car...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182012318143?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

crj1968

Quote from: cbrestorations on February 10, 2016, 01:36:11 PM
ok so we know a rough 70 charger runner driver with no title will bring around 10k lol. was my car...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182012318143?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

That was about what I figured you would fetch on ebay for it. Would I have paid that? no.   :icon_smile_big:

At the price point there wasn't much competition against yours.

cbrestorations

maybe i should have put a $20k delusional reserve on it lol jk, that is the exact price i guessed it would go for on ebay.

bull

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5444375491.html  :eyes:
1969 one owner for about twice what I'd pay.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/cto/5427876710.html
1968 R/T. Maybe not delusional but very, very optimistic.

crj1968

IMHO both of those will likely sell for close to asking price.

alfaitalia

The complete one would be great value over here..... UK. Would be very tempted if it was over here at that price....but it would be near double!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

lukedukem

Quote from: bull on February 12, 2016, 01:04:52 PM
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5444375491.html  :eyes:
1969 one owner for about twice what I'd pay.

might be something under that top as well in that one pic

luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Johnnymopar

Without pics, even giving you an estimate is almost impossible. But beware, if they've been sitting outdoors anywhere but the desert there will be rust hiding where you cannot see it. Sitting outside is one of the worst things. Plus, value will also depend on the model and options of each car, with the fender tag being the easiest place to look if the tag hasn't been removed. And having an engine in it doesn't mean it's the original. RT badges can be added too.

Basically, without pics and numbers (i.e. fender tag/first letters in the vin) giving you an approximate value is very difficult and is also somewhat subjective because everyone has an opinion.
[/quote]
I will try to get pictures on my next trip up there.  The R/T I'm pretty sure is real, it's got the right amount of patina and looks like it has not been tampered with.  Such a shame they have been outside, I guess they'd be "yard finds".  I fear the pricing may be delusional since he's hoarded so many.   At least 12 cars dating from 1968-1974. 

crj1968

Quote from: Johnnymopar on February 12, 2016, 03:51:24 PM

I will try to get pictures on my next trip up there.  The R/T I'm pretty sure is real, it's got the right amount of patina and looks like it has not been tampered with.  Such a shame they have been outside, I guess they'd be "yard finds".  I fear the pricing may be delusional since he's hoarded so many.   At least 12 cars dating from 1968-1974. 

Well maybe since he has so many he could stand to let just one go to a good home. You know to a really nice guy that truly loves the car for what it is, doesn't nit pick it etc.... Know what I'm sayin?    :2thumbs:

Dreamcar

Quote from: crj1968 on February 12, 2016, 04:19:30 PM
Quote from: Johnnymopar on February 12, 2016, 03:51:24 PM

Well maybe since he has so many he could stand to let just one go to a good home. You know to a really nice guy that truly loves the car for what it is, doesn't nit pick it etc.... Know what I'm sayin?    :2thumbs:

Unfortunately, some people would rather hoard them and watch them rot outside instead of selling them to someone who'll actually fix them .