News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Delusional Charger sellers

Started by Homerr, November 09, 2014, 02:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnymopar

Granted this is not a Charger but I use it to illustrate my point.  This car was priced at about $45K for many weeks on craigslist, even until a month ago. (I was tempted but my first choice is a '69 or '70 Charger.) http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Dodge-Coronet-RT-Hardtop-/322445208687?hash=item4b133b6c6f:g:A9AAAOSw4A5Yvx~E&vxp=mtr

My point being when these cars are a plaything for the rich or flippers, many real enthusiasts can't consider such cars.  They lose some of their allure and magic as they become jewells to be traded amongst investors.  Of course for many owners it's good that the values are going up on their cars. But to me the hobby loses something each time a car is a soulless transaction one day appearing a few days later at a 75% mark up.

Even if it doesn't sell at the inflated price, it hurts the hobby I think.  I know the free market dictates etc. but when taken to extremes I feel it affects the industry.  I for one know less "real" guys driving these cars and "speculators" owning these cars more and more. To some not a bad thing, to me I'd rather talk car talk with an enthusiast vs. an investor.

This is why this thread is one of my favourites, it offers real car people's (Charger people) thoughts and intelligent opinions on delusional priced Chargers.  You represent the heart and soul of the hobby.

Challenger340

Quote from: Johnnymopar on March 07, 2017, 07:29:44 PM
Granted this is not a Charger but I use it to illustrate my point.  This car was priced at about $45K for many weeks on craigslist, even until a month ago. (I was tempted but my first choice is a '69 or '70 Charger.) http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Dodge-Coronet-RT-Hardtop-/322445208687?hash=item4b133b6c6f:g:A9AAAOSw4A5Yvx~E&vxp=mtr

My point being when these cars are a plaything for the rich or flippers, many real enthusiasts can't consider such cars.  They lose some of their allure and magic as they become jewells to be traded amongst investors.  Of course for many owners it's good that the values are going up on their cars. But to me the hobby loses something each time a car is a soulless transaction one day appearing a few days later at a 75% mark up.

Even if it doesn't sell at the inflated price, it hurts the hobby I think.  I know the free market dictates etc. but when taken to extremes I feel it affects the industry.  I for one know less "real" guys driving these cars and "speculators" owning these cars more and more. To some not a bad thing, to me I'd rather talk car talk with an enthusiast vs. an investor.

This is why this thread is one of my favourites, it offers real car people's (Charger people) thoughts and intelligent opinions on delusional priced Chargers.  You represent the heart and soul of the hobby.

Example:
Say you had a diversified portfolio on the DOW Index basically 4 years ago in January 2013, of say $100,000.
It was your life savings, and you were DAMN GLAD to have seen the DOW index come back by 2013 to 12,500(after some terrifying losses in 2008)

Now,
It's 4 years later, and the DOW is at 21,000 ?
Stock Markets are in BUBBLE territory, setting new Records MONTHLY once again without any REAL fundamentals to support the increases ?
U.S. Trade Deficit last month was $48.6 Billion, another new Monthly record.
U.S. Debt is still skyrocketing without even an inkling of slowing for the foreseeable future... what now ? $19-20 trillion ?
and,
interest rates are still in historical "emergency" territory(even if the Fed raises next week) 10 years post 2008, the last time you got crushed ?

Your $100K from 4 years ago is now $160,000 ?
WHY WOULDN'T YOU "DIVERSIFY", TAKE YOUR $60k AND GO PUT IT INTO ANYTHING ELSE AS A "HEDGE" ?

Figure it out....
It's NOT that the Cars are now worth more... it's the future value of the Notes they are denominated in that is becoming suspect = hence, "investors" are simply looking for diversity in anything that may potentially hold relative future valuation = collectibles.
IMO, the Cars are NOT worth more.... it is the regular "hourly" guys hoping to buy them that are very simply being de-valued.

Only wimps wear Bowties !

Johnnymopar

Figure it out....
It's NOT that the Cars are now worth more... it's the future value of the Notes they are denominated in that is becoming suspect = hence, "investors" are simply looking for diversity in anything that may potentially hold relative future valuation = collectibles.
IMO, the Cars are NOT worth more.... it is the regular "hourly" guys hoping to buy them that are very simply being de-valued.

[/quote]

This is a good way to see it.  The regular guys wages are being devalued.
If this car sells at asking, its a 75% increase in basically a month. No wage can keep up.  It would be good to know how many of the Chargers in this delusional price thread actually sell for those prices. 

Mike DC

Aside from collectible VINs (different topic entirely), these cars are not worth any more than the cost of building another one like it.  So IMO it's hard to see them as being inflated. 

Muscle cars were cheaper during the first 20-30 years they existed because the factory had mass produced them in gigantic numbers.  That's the only thing that ever really makes any car cheap.  When something has to be supported by the car-guy market alone, we get the current situation with reproduction parts. 

The most popular few muscle cars like '67 Mustangs and '69 Camaros are basically back in production today.   You can order practically the whole car from a catalog.  That used to be a joke but now it's pretty much a fact.  A whole new repro car costs six figures (in turn-key form) because it can't be done any cheaper, not because collectors are jacking up the prices on any step in the process. 

ACUDANUT

68X426

To me this seller qualifies as insane (sure it's a real J code Super Bee but . . . . check the price and the condition).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Dodge-Coronet-super-bee-/262892552717?hash=item3d359e020d:g:uBkAAOSwsW9Yxb5m&vxp=mtr

:o

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: 68X426 on March 12, 2017, 11:34:39 PM

To me this seller qualifies as insane (sure it's a real J code Super Bee but . . . . check the price and the condition).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Dodge-Coronet-super-bee-/262892552717?hash=item3d359e020d:g:uBkAAOSwsW9Yxb5m&vxp=mtr

That is a neat car, but considering the car is worth maybe 120-130 large with a complete rotisserie restoration, and it will take 75 large to get it to that level, I'd say that this seller definitely qualifies as a delusional seller.     :2thumbs:

ws23rt

I looked at the pictures and discription several times and am left thinking- :scratchchin:.
When does a car need just a thorough cleaning and detailing?  As opposed to a complete "remake" of the car?

Would this car do better in the collector market as a jewel from 1968 that everyone knows is a 2017 issue?

If I had it --I would spend many hours cleaning it with care before I might take it back to the bone and start over.
Either way the asking price is high enough that It stops any conversation with me.

375instroke

$87,500 for an unrestored '69 Charger.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: 375instroke on March 14, 2017, 11:28:04 AM
$87,500 for an unrestored '69 Charger.

So, what should this car really cost then?  :popcrn:  For an original, #s matching car  :scratchchin:

I think the seller should have washed the car, or at least attempted to present it better - and if not ready with other pics, wait a week on the ad. I mean, they are the original owners, right?  :Twocents:

elks

they had a good investment $4500 car now $87500

chargerboy69

Cool car, I love the Q5.  A year ago this guy would have been laughed out of town with just a third of his asking price. Now I see a flipper buying this and tacking on 20 grand.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Baldwinvette77

87,500$ canadian is about 65,000$ USD... not horrible for an all original car...

ACUDANUT

Looks like it's going to need a complete restoration. Rot everywhere.  I wonder if he will sell me the 70 interior  :scratchchin:
I have a perfect 68 black interior in my 70 Charger

Mike DC

Quotehttps://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/6041483348.html

IMO that's not very delusional.  I wouldn't be surprised if he gets what he is asking.

F8-4life

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on March 14, 2017, 10:09:50 PM
Quotehttps://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/6041483348.html

IMO that's not very delusional.  I wouldn't be surprised if he gets what he is asking.

Your probably right about it selling, the buyers delusion will mesh nicely with the sellers.. & they can both live in their world of rotting B-body madness

Mike DC

QuoteYour probably right about it selling, the buyers delusion will mesh nicely with the sellers.. & they can both live in their world of rotting B-body madness

The same argument says we shouldn't be restoring the "decent" projects, either.  If you value your skilled man-hours & enthusiasm & garage space at all, then pretty much anything besides a rare numbers car is a money loser.  

F8-4life

Well my thing regarding this car is the dash/vin have been switched.. I wouldn't be putting any $$ into a car with that pedigree.

68X426

What do I know?  Three days later ebay shows this car as selling at full asking price of $107,000.  WOW.

He should have asked $200,000 based on a fast sale at $107k.

I have no concept of appropriate prices anymore.  :brickwall:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow