News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Passon 5 speed

Started by Charger4404spd, November 11, 2014, 08:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger4404spd

The new 5 speed from Passon looks nice. I emailed him to ask for a delivery date and cost. I knew it wouldnt be cheap and I am glad I was sitting down when I read his email.

Delivery in 9-12 months at a cost of between $4495 and $4995. :'(

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

moparnation74

That is one hefty price tag!

69wannabe

Pricey no doubt but I saw a write up in mopar muscle where they installed one and according to them it was a true bolt in and go and took alot of abuse with no problems. You get what you pay for these days and i'm hoping in a couple of years I will be able to purchase one of these myself. Hopefully by then the wait time will not be so long!! Would love to be running 2200 or 2300 rpms at 60-65 mph instead of 3000 rpms!!!!

moparnation74

Yes a 5spd would be helpful at highway speeds.  My X went on the highway once with it's 4spd and now I use the service roads, lol!

Charger4404spd

Check the pic out on their site, looks really good and supposedly will take 700 ft lbs of torque. Yeah wait time is pretty long, he said the first 300 were already spoken for.

Troy

There are several other threads on this. It was announced several years ago and they took a lot of preorders. They started shipping last year I believe but, since they are basically hand built, only a handful go out each week. As soon as they were officially available more orders rushed in so, yeah, expect about a year wait. I believe the initial price was around $4,400.

The transmission is a true bolt in. Same dimensions as an 833 and everything (except the shifter) required for an 833 bolts right to it. It does come with the shifter.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Dino

The direct bolt in is very nice, I can't argue with that, but for just under $4K you can buy a beefed up T-56 with bellhousing and it's really not all that bad to stick it in b-body.  You have to cut a piece of the tunnel but the console stays in place and hides it.  6 speeds is better than 5.   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

moparnation74

Has anyone used the overdrive assembly from passion performance? 

69wannabe

Quote from: moparnation74 on November 12, 2014, 08:59:13 PM

I wonder how much one of them would run??? I have looked at them but I don't like the gear ratio's. Seem's that it would fall on it's face once you hit 3rd gear kinda like and old 3 speed tranny does. The reason I like the 5 speed is that the ratio's look the same as my 4 speed so the performance will still be the same but it will have another gear to go into!!

69rtse4spd

Had one put in the Hemi box for the 70, but have not got the car converted over to 4-speed yet. Still beating on the 727, I do have 3:73 in the Dana though. 

Troy

Quote from: 69wannabe on November 12, 2014, 09:12:59 PM

I wonder how much one of them would run??? I have looked at them but I don't like the gear ratio's. Seem's that it would fall on it's face once you hit 3rd gear kinda like and old 3 speed tranny does. The reason I like the 5 speed is that the ratio's look the same as my 4 speed so the performance will still be the same but it will have another gear to go into!!
It's just a gearset - it replaces the guts of a normal 833 (even a 23 spline). Last I really checked it was about $1,700 with about $100 in parts to install it.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

don duick

Quote from: Dino on November 12, 2014, 08:55:27 PM
The direct bolt in is very nice, I can't argue with that, but for just under $4K you can buy a beefed up T-56 with bellhousing and it's really not all that bad to stick it in b-body.  You have to cut a piece of the tunnel but the console stays in place and hides it.  6 speeds is better than 5.   :icon_smile_big:

yeah this sounds like a lot better option  but then again I like my 4 speed with 3.23 gears cruising between 1500 and 2000 is ok When you have the torque of a 440 why do you need so many gears?

1974dodgecharger

Mine does 3k rpm at 77mph......is that stupid to do?

Quote from: don duick on November 14, 2014, 12:14:28 AM

yeah this sounds like a lot better option  but then again I like my 4 speed with 3.23 gears cruising between 1500 and 2000 is ok When you have the torque of a 440 why do you need so many gears?

don duick

3000 rpm at 77 mph I can live with that but I don't do long distant drives. Im guessing you have 3.23 gears? cruising speed I was referring to is between 40 and 50 mph

Mike DC

QuoteI wonder how much one of them would run??? I have looked at them but I don't like the gear ratio's. Seem's that it would fall on it's face once you hit 3rd gear kinda like and old 3 speed tranny does. The reason I like the 5 speed is that the ratio's look the same as my 4 speed so the performance will still be the same but it will have another gear to go into!!

IIRC the gear spread of the passon 4spd OD is not as far as the factory 4spd OD was.  The spread is more like what you get with a Torqueflite + gear vendors OD.

Dino

Quote from: don duick on November 14, 2014, 12:14:28 AM

You don't,  5 would do but the extra is a bonus.  With the T-56 you can stick som nice low gears in the rear and still be turning low rpm on the highway at a decent clip.  My wife's Trans Am gas 3:42 ish gears with the T-56 and it turns around 1700 rpm on the highway which is aweome.  In town we don't go past 5th gear.

Charger-Bodie

With the way most of us use these cars a six speed does t work. By the time you get gears low enough in the rear to take advantage of the 6th gear , the rear is now so low that first gear is useless.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Dino

That's probably true as I find myself using 5th gear on the highway in the T/A a lot, but I do throw it in 6th when we're moving a bit faster.  A 5 speed would do fine, but I wouldn't know which trans to use for that.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Dino on November 14, 2014, 08:54:09 AM
That's probably true as I find myself using 5th gear on the highway in the T/A a lot, but I do throw it in 6th when we're moving a bit faster.  A 5 speed would do fine, but I wouldn't know which trans to use for that.

It depends on what you like. I like how you row thru the gears in a factory 4 speed,but some like the modern feel better.

the awesome part (to me) about the passon 855 is that you get that original feel with that extra gear we all search for while on the highway.

If you were driving alot of freeway speeds of like 80 or so the 6th would be ok.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Ghoste

I like the old one too.  I suppose its whatever you are used to or first fell in love with but I've driven plenty of Tremecs and I like the old 833.  But then I like carburetors and factory stock interiors too so... :icon_smile_big:

Dino

I like the T-56 but have no real comparison, I've never driven a 4 speed except in some 80's Euro 4 bangers.    :icon_smile_big:

Does the Passon require the 4 speed hump?  With the 6 speed I can keep my stock auto console and there's no need for the hump, but I will have to cut a hole in the center of the tunnel to make that thing fit.  Around here, 80-90 on the highway is pretty standard so the 6th gear would be used to  be sure, but having 5 will still work fine.

I do enjoy going through the gears but honestly the T-56 shifts great.  I think the newer version of these is in the Challengers and Chargers?  TR6060?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Dino on November 14, 2014, 09:32:43 AM
I like the T-56 but have no real comparison, I've never driven a 4 speed except in some 80's Euro 4 bangers.    :icon_smile_big:

Does the Passon require the 4 speed hump?  With the 6 speed I can keep my stock auto console and there's no need for the hump, but I will have to cut a hole in the center of the tunnel to make that thing fit.  Around here, 80-90 on the highway is pretty standard so the 6th gear would be used to  be sure, but having 5 will still work fine.

I do enjoy going through the gears but honestly the T-56 shifts great.  I think the newer version of these is in the Challengers and Chargers?  TR6060?

If you dont have any experiance driving an original 4 speed, you be a lot better candidate for a modern transmission. I just like the old car feeling when it comes to certain stuff. i had the tko600 in my black 68 and didnt really like it that much.

moparnation74

Having a 5 or 6 speed makes sense if you have a purpose like highway driving.  I agree with bodie I enjoy the 4 banger and the mechanical operation of it.  That is just my opinion but up to 5k for a tranny is just something I would never pay.

Dino

Yeah the cost is pretty high, the 4 speed is probably cheaper to install but hey what's a few more grand thrown at this car right?   :lol:

Ghoste

And as far as the Passon requiring the four speed hump Dino, yes.  Its a direct bolt in.

Dino

Quote from: Ghoste on November 14, 2014, 09:51:33 AM
And as far as the Passon requiring the four speed hump Dino, yes.  Its a direct bolt in.

Okay that's what I thought.  Thanks Ghoste.   :cheers:

moparnation74

Quote from: Dino on November 14, 2014, 09:51:25 AM
Yeah the cost is pretty high, the 4 speed is probably cheaper to install but hey what's a few more grand thrown at this car right?   :lol:
That is a true statement, lol

69wannabe

Quote from: Ghoste on November 14, 2014, 09:19:58 AM
I like the old one too.  I suppose its whatever you are used to or first fell in love with but I've driven plenty of Tremecs and I like the old 833.  But then I like carburetors and factory stock interiors too so... :icon_smile_big:

X2!!!!!!!

Dino

Quote from: 69wannabe on November 14, 2014, 06:13:21 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on November 14, 2014, 09:19:58 AM

X2!!!!!!!

I love stock interiors as well, and do as little as possible to change the car's look from stock including adapting a volt meter to look like it was stock.  I would love carbs as well if they would work for me and I hope things will improve next year with a more stock-ish cam.  I've driven old cars with a manual trans and I don't recall not liking a single one of them, but there's nothing wrong with a modern trans either. 

don duick

fy469rtse

I'm with you dino, dont like to change them much apart from a day two look,
wheels etc,