News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Race Daytona on ebay

Started by rnjump, December 02, 2014, 06:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69_500

Doug, what would be a fair price on this car? Seriously considering making an offer on it.

odcics2

Quote from: 500Jon on December 03, 2014, 02:24:01 PM
I understand that a racecar is not what it starts out as.
The term Daytona does not relate to racecars, just a Charger body with add-ons.
The body seems almost irrelevant in your eyes.
Its all about who built it and who raced it!

I think the door is wide open for abuse here?

I have parts off a 69 Charger racecar that was raced as a Daytona.
How many pieces do I need to make it legit, when I rebuild it???

5J

I have the entire front end as found behind Don White's shop in the woods, wing and trunk supports (and those are all hand made, no two alike) rear glass, axle cooler, seat, the documented short block assy that was in it in the 1969 Daytona 500 (numbered 99) as a dark blue Charger 500, not to mention the entire rolling car that had the 73 Charger body on it.  Yes, it sat outside and was rusty. That's all well known.   
I also have a PILE of vintage documentation & photos that show certain aspects of the car back in the day, that are the same today.  That helps...
A bunch of the guys that worked with and on the car have seen it and signed off, over 10 years ago, when that sort of thing didn't mean too much.

I guess this would be the amount of stuff to make it legit.   (and then some!)
I'm going through immense pains to not overlook even the smallest detail and using only period correct parts.
A hard thing to do, for sure, but that's the only way I'll be happy with the results!
The car will not be all super shiny, but a period correct 'race car' finish, inside and out.
Maybe I'm going too far with the project, but in my opinion, the car deserves it.

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Aero426

Quote from: 69_500 on December 03, 2014, 05:45:14 PM
Doug, what would be a fair price on this car? Seriously considering making an offer on it.

It is uncharted waters as there are no comps.

TUFCAT

nearly $50,000 and climbing.... ($49,600)  :popcrn:

500Jon

Chicken and Egg scenario with Daytona's and 500's.
The racecar built in conjunction with the roadcar.

I think 'Rose tinted glasses' are being used when looking at these 'old racecars'.
Raced and wrecked then dumped 'out-back'! :shruggy:

Faithful Old timers always looking to find them and restore back to former glory.

This is where it can fall apart, this car is a BITSA!
Almost Frank 'n' Stein now.
Many great Race Car drivers have lost their lives in Race Cars.
They and their vehicles should be laid to rest as a mark of respect

Just my  :Twocents:

IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

white

That would be great Danny if you can get that car. That would be the ultimate Daytona.

tan top

Quote from: 69_500 on December 03, 2014, 05:45:14 PM

:o   good stuff , fingers crossed  :cheers: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

TUFCAT

now past the magic $50K mark and still on reserve.

wingman(22)

Quote from: odcics2 on December 03, 2014, 07:58:26 PM
Quote from: 500Jon on December 03, 2014, 02:24:01 PM
I understand that a racecar is not what it starts out as.
The term Daytona does not relate to racecars, just a Charger body with add-ons.
The body seems almost irrelevant in your eyes.
Its all about who built it and who raced it!

I think the door is wide open for abuse here?

I have parts off a 69 Charger racecar that was raced as a Daytona.
How many pieces do I need to make it legit, when I rebuild it???

5J

I have the entire front end as found behind Don White's shop in the woods, wing and trunk supports (and those are all hand made, no two alike) rear glass, axle cooler, seat, the documented short block assy that was in it in the 1969 Daytona 500 (numbered 99) as a dark blue Charger 500, not to mention the entire rolling car that had the 73 Charger body on it.  Yes, it sat outside and was rusty. That's all well known.   
I also have a PILE of vintage documentation & photos that show certain aspects of the car back in the day, that are the same today.  That helps...
A bunch of the guys that worked with and on the car have seen it and signed off, over 10 years ago, when that sort of thing didn't mean too much.

I guess this would be the amount of stuff to make it legit.   (and then some!)
I'm going through immense pains to not overlook even the smallest detail and using only period correct parts.
A hard thing to do, for sure, but that's the only way I'll be happy with the results!
The car will not be all super shiny, but a period correct 'race car' finish, inside and out.
Maybe I'm going too far with the project, but in my opinion, the car deserves it.

Gregg I think your car may be the exception here. It was the test car then it was most likely documented and photographed. More than likely none of the race teams back then took the time to document their cars.

Highbanked Hauler

In getting back to present day, what would the procedure be for  restifying/rebuilding of the present day car. I would remove the boltons, have it dipped then check the chassis for straightness and then call AMD. Any other ideas ?  :shruggy:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

odcics2

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on December 04, 2014, 03:56:42 PM
In getting back to present day, what would the procedure be for  restifying/rebuilding of the present day car. I would remove the boltons, have it dipped then check the chassis for straightness and then call AMD. Any other ideas ?  :shruggy:

Have you looked at the Hylton thread lately?   The original chassis appears to be 65-66 B body. The '69 body on it now is wider, hence the gaps between the main hoop of the roll cage and the body.  The rear springs are not "up" into the chassis. (that started in 68)
James had at least 2 cars.  This one appears to have been updated through the years.
The steering system is pre 68. And maybe this was at one time the 65 Dodge James ran? Who knows?

Bottom line - a correct resto would have to have the earlier floorpans put in to be correct.

The K&K short track car is NOT a 69 Charger, but an Isaac 67 fastback car, originally. (was the #37)
It has the same issues with the main hoop of the cage being not wide enough.

Highbanked Hauler

odcics2,   Given what the car is in your opinion what would be the proper step forward to preserve the car from further rust up to panel replacement ?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Aero426

Quote from: odcics2 on December 04, 2014, 04:11:53 PM

Have you looked at the Hylton thread lately?   The original chassis appears to be 65-66 B body. The '69 body on it now is wider, hence the gaps between the main hoop of the roll cage and the body.  The rear springs are not "up" into the chassis. (that started in 68)
James had at least 2 cars.  This one appears to have been updated through the years.
The steering system is pre 68. And maybe this was at one time the 65 Dodge James ran? Who knows?

Bottom line - a correct resto would have to have the earlier floorpans put in to be correct.

The K&K short track car is NOTa 69 Charger, but an Isaac 67 fastback car, originally. (was the #37)

If indeed it is much earlier car,  it is also possible it was not originally built at Nichels.    For example, Owens and other big teamd built their own cars at that time.   That also helps explain why certain features do not fit the mold of a 1968 and newer Nichels car.

odcics2

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on December 04, 2014, 05:02:56 PM
odcics2,   Given what the car is in your opinion what would be the proper step forward to preserve the car from further rust up to panel replacement ?

Take the body off and get it dipped.   Jig it up and see if it's straight.
Take photos of EVERYTHING for witness marks.
Then, you'll see where you stand!  :2thumbs: 

odcics2

Some Hylton car pics-

odcics2

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on December 04, 2014, 05:46:34 PM
Quote from: odcics2 on December 04, 2014, 04:11:53 PM

The K&K short track car is NOTa 69 Charger, but an Isaac 67 fastback car, originally. (was the #37)

If indeed it is much earlier car,  it is also possible it was not originally built at Nichels.    For example, Owens and other big teamd built their own cars at that time.   That also helps explain why certain features do not fit the mold of a 1968 and newer Nichels car.

:iagree:

Aero426

The way the main roll cage bars on James' car lean forward is odd and is a unique feature.   Although the Ebay car has reconstructed bars in that area, they also lean forward.   That is not normal for a 1968 and newer Nichels car.  Bars should be straight up and down vertical.

500Jon

Are you really trying say that these racer guys were putting full Daytona bodies on 66/67 floorpans!
You cannot be SERIOUS!!! (Johnny McEnroe).
There comes a time when its out with the old and in with the NEW!

These guys were MAD, but they weren't CRAZY!!!
Who in their right mind would reshell a plodding 66/67 car?
If I knew I was gonna be running over the 200mph barrier in a Stock-bodied car it would have to 'State of the ART'.
Everything 'NEW' and uprated to the MAX!!!

Lets get real Folks.
We are not talking Dirt-track here, this is FULL-ON ballistic Missiles! :woohoo:
It took the Full backing and teamwork of Chryslers greatest minds to make RACE-DAYTONA'S!!! :patriot:

Not a Guy in a Chicken Shed with an Oxy-kit LOL. :slap:

The #78 car is bent/bowed/buckled, no-one in their right mind would or probably could repair it!

Where's JOHNNY?

Aero426

Quote from: 500Jon on December 05, 2014, 11:18:39 AM
Are you really trying say that these racer guys were putting full Daytona bodies on 66/67 floorpans!

These guys were MAD, but they weren't CRAZY!!!
Who in their right mind would reshell a plodding 66/67 car?
If I knew I was gonna be running over the 200mph barrier in a Stock-bodied car it would have to 'State of the ART'.
Everything 'NEW' and uprated to the MAX!!!

For some of the second tier teams,  this is a possibility.    James Hylton never had a factory deal like Petty, Nichels, Owens, etc.    He raced for a living mostly with second hand cars.   In fact, he still does.   The idea of him recycling some older equipment back then is not out of the question at all.    

Aero426

Interesting to chew on.  This is from mid-1969.   Talks about a "new" car Hylton built using some Holman-Moody components.    It speaks to the fact that he did not have a deal with Chrysler other than for parts here and there. 

Aero426

Chrysler NASCAR "Factory teams" of the era seem to have received 1 to 2 cars comped to them per season.   Also depends on how many races they were going to run, repairs needed, etc.    Those would be:

Plymouth:  Petty (three cars + 1 new build mid season for 1970)
Dodge:  K & K, Owens, Fox, Rossi

Others paid out of pocket or were on a limited program, such as parts assistance.    I am sure there were special circumstances were teams not on a full program were given cars parts and equipment based on need.   Stuff could "fall off the truck" in front of the shop, you know.

500Jon

That's more like it Aero!

A proper factory built car (BODY)!!! :cheers:

Modified by 'Fred in his Shed' lol!
If this 'ebay' wreck is that car in this article, then I will eat my hat and some humble pie too!
Its not easy building a 'State of the ART' racecar, no matter who you are.
Been there, done that several times, it takes a lot of time and money!
If you wanna go racing, you ain't got time, never enough money, BUT a factory body will really HELP!!! :buff: :hack: :smash:

Keep up the good work there fella's.
5J

Ghoste

Are you talking about Chrysler racers getting street wing cars and then building them up to go racing?

TUFCAT

Quote from: Ghoste on December 05, 2014, 03:42:07 PM
Are you talking about Chrysler racers getting street wing cars and then building them up to go racing?

gosh....I hope not!  :brickwall:  I think 500Jon means a factory body (i.e. body in white) supplied by Chrysler purposely to go racing.