News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Race Daytona on ebay

Started by rnjump, December 02, 2014, 06:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on December 05, 2014, 03:42:07 PM
Are you talking about Chrysler racers getting street wing cars and then building them up to go racing?

No, we are talking about complete or partially complete race cars delivered to teams from Nichels Engineering, paid for by Chrysler.

Ghoste

No I knew what you meant Doug, was wondering if Jon was thinking about something else.

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on December 05, 2014, 04:40:57 PM
No I knew what you meant Doug, was wondering if Jon was thinking about something else.

Sorry, little trigger happy here.   

Stevearino

Quote from: Aero426 on December 05, 2014, 05:24:08 PM

Understandable under the circumstances. Between the discussion here and the massive thread on Facebook I don't believe I have seen a car generate this much interest for a while. Which kind of verifies the point I made earlier about the most valuable wing cars would or should be the ones that actually raced back in the day no matter what their origin.
That list is a short one.  Your car the Ramo Stott Superbird, The Pete Hamilton Superbird ( originally the Petty Superbird)The Tim Welborn 71 Bobby Issacs car, The Jack Macoy #7, Soon the # 88 200 mph Don White Daytona , The Dave Marcis Daytona currently a Winston Show car and now possibly this car. Did I leave any out?

Aero426

Quote from: Stevearino on December 05, 2014, 05:41:35 PM

Understandable under the circumstances. Between the discussion here and the massive thread on Facebook I don't believe I have seen a car generate this much interest for a while. Which kind of verifies the point I made earlier about the most valuable wing cars would or should be the ones that actually raced back in the day no matter what their origin.
That list is a short one.  Your car the Ramo Stott Superbird, The Pete Hamilton Superbird ( originally the Petty Superbird)The Tim Welborn 71 Bobby Issacs car, The Jack Macoy #7, Soon the # 88 200 mph Don White Daytona , The Dave Marcis Daytona currently a Winston Show car and now possibly this car. Did I leave any out?

The Allison #22. 

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on December 05, 2014, 05:54:18 PM

That list is a short one.  Your car the Ramo Stott Superbird, The Pete Hamilton Superbird ( originally the Petty Superbird)The Tim Welborn 71 Bobby Issacs car, The Jack Macoy #7, Soon the # 88 200 mph ENGINEERING Daytona , The Dave Marcis Daytona currently a Winston Show car and now possibly this car. Did I leave any out?

The Allison #22. 

Which one??   

p.s. fixed the #88 info...  :cheers:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Ghoste

TUFCAT

:drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

buck0123

Looks like the same car in the  James Hylton Charger @ Talladega thread from 2009, but now has a nose cone and engine.

500Jon

A BODY is a BODYSHELL from the Factory/Creative that is shaped like a Daytona!
I'm sure this wasn't a 'white-body' more a YELLOW body from the factory?

What happens to the cars after that is down to the individual RACE team.
Hylton states that he is not a factory team so he has a free hand in what he does.(within the rules).
Its just a shame that the Hylton Charger-Daytona wasn't picture documented like some were.
This may be a help or hinderance in restoration and verification?

The article says a Racecar not a bare Daytona shell, probably on wheels some chassis mods already done?
I rest my case, Sherlock said to Holmes or was it Watson?
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

500Jon

This car looked much better in 2009 with the 71 front!
Now its lovely framework been hacked off and an engine added too, its gone ballistic!
Just shows what a false front can do to folks.

If James was so Happy to get his new Charger-Daytona, why did he sell it?
He put his Heart and Soul and all his money into the #48 car.

I see less of that 'possible' #48-car here than the Daytona in the PIT!

Double standards methinks, any thing goes with Racecar Daytona's, recreations not allowed with Roadcar Daytona's!

Where's Johnny? :RantExplode:

Ghoste

But you aren't under the impression that Creative was sending bodies in white (or yellow or black or whatever) to the racers with nose cones and wings already attached are you?

1970Moparmann

Well, it's off of Ebay.  Says not available anymore....
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Nwcharger

So when this car comes back will it be considered a rebody or does that only count on street versions. There's not gonna be much left of the original car once its done.
1969 coronet wagon

Aero426

Quote from: buck0123 on December 06, 2014, 02:05:46 AM
Looks like the same car in the  James Hylton Charger @ Talladega thread from 2009, but now has a nose cone and engine.

Correct.   The latest owner added the nose and engine. 

Aero426

Quote from: 500Jon on December 06, 2014, 06:20:42 AM

If James was so Happy to get his new Charger-Daytona, why did he sell it?
He put his Heart and Soul and all his money into the #48 car.

Hylton sold his Dodges because he switched to Ford.    Although he ran very well for several years on his own, he did not have a deal with Dodge.   It was clear he was not going to get a deal with Dodge.    There was no reason to stay if he thought he might be able to do better elsewhere.   He won a race at Richmond VA in the Ford shortly thereafter.   

Aero426

Quote from: Nwcharger on December 06, 2014, 12:11:44 PM
So when this car comes back will it be considered a rebody or does that only count on street versions. There's not gonna be much left of the original car once its done.

Like most old stock cars, has already been rebodied.    This is like the warbird argument.   There are so few that the only choice you have is to rebuild what is left.   In the race car arena, an acceptable basis for a restoration is the center frame area and four suspension points.     

Ghoste

Isn't that the truth, and then sometimes you have to decide which sheet metal gets hung on the skeleton and after that which livery.  Drag cars are often the same thing.   Probably most race cars.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Ghoste on December 06, 2014, 02:22:05 PM
Isn't that the truth, and then sometimes you have to decide which sheet metal gets hung on the skeleton and after that which livery.  Drag cars are often the same thing.   Probably most race cars.

Drag cars have a lot better chance of surviving though. :2thumbs:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Ghoste

But they are often so reskinned and recaged and re-engined and re-suspensioned (its a word) (I think) that my point was "which version do you choose to restore it as?".

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on December 06, 2014, 06:44:50 PM
But they are often so reskinned and recaged and re-engined and re-suspensioned (its a word) (I think) that my point was "which version do you choose to restore it as?".

You often have to choose which moment in time you want to represent.

Ghoste

Totally and what a decision for the guys doing it.  An extreme example but if you had the carcass would you do say the Sox and Martin E body as the 70 they pioneered the class with or the 71 they dominated it with?  Both have validity but only one car serving the purpose.
NASCAR no different.

rainbow4jd

I hope you're joking.    Otherwise, you really don't know anything about racing at all.

Quote from: 500Jon on December 05, 2014, 11:18:39 AM
Are you really trying say that these racer guys were putting full Daytona bodies on 66/67 floorpans!
You cannot be SERIOUS!!! (Johnny McEnroe).
There comes a time when its out with the old and in with the NEW!

These guys were MAD, but they weren't CRAZY!!!
Who in their right mind would reshell a plodding 66/67 car?
If I knew I was gonna be running over the 200mph barrier in a Stock-bodied car it would have to 'State of the ART'.
Everything 'NEW' and uprated to the MAX!!!

Lets get real Folks.
We are not talking Dirt-track here, this is FULL-ON ballistic Missiles! :woohoo:
It took the Full backing and teamwork of Chryslers greatest minds to make RACE-DAYTONA'S!!! :patriot:

Not a Guy in a Chicken Shed with an Oxy-kit LOL. :slap:

The #78 car is bent/bowed/buckled, no-one in their right mind would or probably could repair it!

Where's JOHNNY?

500Jon

NOPE, deadly SERIOUS!!!

Putting a nosecone on a rebodied 66/67/68 Charger doesn't make it a Daytona Racecar, capable of speeds of nearly 240mph!
The aerodynamics would have to be PERFECT along with the Chassis and suspension!
A short track stock-car is not the same thing at all!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: