News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What Radio Do I Have Here?

Started by Recharger, August 08, 2005, 07:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recharger

I have a 68 Charger, and according to the fender tag it came with an AM radio.   The car currently has this AM/FM thumbwheel radio in it, which was obviously added by the previous owner.   Now the question is, is this radio "correct" for a 68 Charger?   Seems like all the AM/FMs I see on ebay that claim to be from 68's say "Dodge solid state" or something on the front.   Anyone recognize this or know what car it is supposed to be for?     ???

bull

I have no idea what that is but it's not right. Actually, it is mostly right but the face is all wrong. If I were guessing I'd say Chrysler made that radio for another car company (maybe AMC) and put a generic face on it. The faces are removeable but it's not an easy process. If you have a nice Dodge Solid State radio face you could exchange it. Yes, it should say "Dodge Solid State" on the face, not Dodge Music Master, or Chrysler Solid State, etc., etc.

dodgecharger-fan

It sure looks a lot like the AM/FM radio for a Charger - except, as you've both noted, the faceplate.

Any model numbers on top?

Would some go through the trouble of replacing the original faceplate with a generic - maybe during a rebuild? (Just thinking out loud here.)

dodgecharger-fan

Oh, and I'll give ya 50 bucks for it.  :icon_smile_tongue:

Ghoste

Fifty-five. ;)
Do the AM-FM's also say Chrysler (or Dodge) on them or is that strictly an AM thing?
And yes, it should have other numbers on the body someplace.

dodgecharger-fan

sixty five  ;D

AM/FM have "Chrysler Solid State" on them.

for a 69, there's a paper label on the top with:

2884 632
Bendix Mark (with a pentastar on the far left)
SER: 9FBBCC ######

some more numbers looking like a build date 0939 in my case.

chargerhunter

I have one just like it, but Solid State. Don't know if it works. Offers?
mlott@csipaper.com
68 Charger R/T clone 440/4spd
converted to '69 General Lee

68 Charger 383/727

Recharger

(Reserve Not Met)    :icon_smile_wink:

j/k, I'm not sure if I'm even going to sell it.   Thanks for the info though.  I had a feeling this thing wasn't "correct" but I'm  not too worried about it.  Now I just want to know what this thing actually came from.  I wont be back home to check on the other numbers until this weekend.  I'll post them here when I can so maybe someone can track it down.

Ghoste

So what did you find?  Is it a warranty replacement thing maybe or a genuine "don't cut your dash" afteramrket replacement?

Recharger

Unfortunately, I didn't find anything.   :(  There is a little shred of paper on the top of the radio that is, I'm guessing, what would've had that info on it.  There appears to be an ink-stamped date on the side though.  Looks a lot like it says "May 7 1988."  Though the date is smeared enough that it just might say "May 7 1968"...  Did they even make radios like this in 88?  Regardless, I doubt the little stamp is going to help solve my mystery. 

Ghoste

I don't recall seeing one after 1969. 

Recharger

Ok, I think I found the tag you were talking about, DC-Fan...   It fell off the radio and I found it sitting in a mess of nuts & screws on the passenger side floorboard.     :-[

It has the pentastar on the left, and the number 18271 in the bottom left corner just like you described.   Rest of the label says:

MODEL   256
MARK -
     B1      (the B1 is a stamp)
8BDC      038521     

0318     (that date code stamp or whatever)

Does this provide any insight?   Does any one out there have a parts manual that might indicate where this is from?  

Again, thanks for any help with my goosechase...

Ghoste

I have checked my sources (the 69 and 69 parts catalogs and the Charger Resto Guide by Paul Herd) and I find several numbers that are close to that model and part number but no exact matches.  You are sure of those numbers?

Recharger

Yeah, Ghoste, I'm sure about those numbers.   The only one that might be debatable is the "B1" stamp, it is a bit smeared.   Pretty sure it's a B1 though.   My car is a 68, btw, I don't know if that would explain the fact that you can't find the right numbers in your catalogs.   Otherwise, I guess I can assume that means it's not a Charger radio.   I guess at this point what I'm hoping to hear is that it's the correct AM/FM for a 70 Cuda...   Then I'd let those nuts bid over it on Ebay... :P

Thanks for the help.

Ghoste

I went through my 68 catalog as well.  Like I said, there were a bunch that came close but no exact match.  I wonder if it was a Mopar aftermarket piece?  The ones the dealers sell to get you to upgrade after the sale?

bull

Can you post pictures of the other four sides for us? Maybe something else will ring a bell.

dodgecharger-fan

Model 256 makes me think it's a pre-69 unit

I used to have a great online resource for manuals for these things - at least cover pics that included model numbers - but the site closed up shop.  :'(

Ghoste

That number doesn't come up in my 68 parts book.  I'll check my 67 book.  Did the thumbwheel come in anything in 67?  Monaco?

greenrt_se

here are the picture from AM/FM radio from 69 R/T SE
bythe way it ´s for sale/trade (working good)