News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

So what happened to Galen Govier

Started by ACUDANUT, December 17, 2014, 07:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

I took a few minutes to find that Moparts GG attach thread...it's gone or buried  :icon_smile_blackeye:

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on December 21, 2014, 03:53:53 AM
don't forget that piece of paper that notorizes that your car is 1 of something just think that piece of paper costs nearly 5k  :icon_smile_big:

I guess it helps resale value to the next guy so you tack on extra 5k due to GG  :2thumbs:

I don't know about that.  If I was new to Mopars, I wouldn't give a wooden nickels worth of care to some self proclaimed know it all.   Somone like him should have the Factory backing him up.
It's like saying your a Doctor with no Degree or License.  :Twocents:

odcics2

What do you call the Dr. that graduates at the bottom of his class of 100?

Dr.   !!!    :lol:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Ghoste

Yep, and there was a period there about 2005-09 the auction houses were happily paying him to show up and lay his hands on Mopars to bless them.  They wouldn't have done it if there wasn't a profit in that.
Now today maybe.... mmm not so much.

dual fours

Quote from: odcics2 on December 21, 2014, 03:28:16 PM
What do you call the Dr. that graduates at the bottom of his class of 100?

Dr.   !!!    :lol:
If this Dr. is from China he may go by Dr. Won. :lol:
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

500Jon

So its all Galen's fault that we have to pay $100,000 for hemi-car NOW??? :scratchchin:

If he hadn't have compiled a database of Heminess then the values would have stayed AFFORDABLE!!!
I think the glory days are over now, and the Folks who spent big money with GG will have to take a 'bit of a hit'!
95% of the Mopar 'HOBBY' will never need his services, so non-hemi Mopars prices will stay keen, while others drop?

As I have said before, they are 'Cars built for the people by the people' to cruise the highways of life!
They was never built as Trailer-Queen powder-puffs for money-men to hike the prices on!

If the Mopar hobby wasn't alive and well, then all the NON-HEMI CARS and WINGCARS would be GONE!!!

:Twocents: :Twocents: :Twocents: :Twocents: :Twocents: :Twocents:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

Ghoste

I disagree, I'm not a GG fan but he didn't set the prices by any means, he just found a way to profit off of blessing them and the sellers and buyers used that as an excuse to add value.  How much value did it add though?  10, 100,000, 0 dollars?

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Aero426 on December 18, 2014, 12:52:36 AM
Galen was at the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals in Chicago a few weeks ago.    He regularly posts on Facebook as "Galen Mopar".

I saw him there too and we had a little chat. He has always been ok with me.

myk

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 21, 2014, 12:28:52 PM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on December 21, 2014, 03:53:53 AM
don't forget that piece of paper that notorizes that your car is 1 of something just think that piece of paper costs nearly 5k  :icon_smile_big:

I guess it helps resale value to the next guy so you tack on extra 5k due to GG  :2thumbs:

I don't know about that.  If I was new to Mopars, I wouldn't give a wooden nickels worth of care to some self proclaimed know it all.   Somone like him should have the Factory backing him up.
It's like saying your a Doctor with no Degree or License.  :Twocents:

I've said the same thing about the guy since I found out about him on these boards...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

John_Kunkel

There was a fellow in the lab where I used to work that was the only guy in the facility without a sheepskin....every time I visited him the PHD's would come to him for advice. Point being, experience is often more valuable than education.

In the case of GG, I have no doubt that he has lots of knowledge based on experience and access to privileged info...it's about the guy hisself and his business practices.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

myk

I have no doubt he has a wealth of knowledge that has, for better or worse, contributed to the Mopar craze, but IMO delivery and presentation counts for a lot.  If Jesus Christ came to me in the form of someone from the Jersey Shore TV show offering salvation, I would politely decline and ask for a ticket to hell instead...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

JamieZ

Interestingly enough the Ford guys have Kevin Marti and his company Marti Auto Works, which provides data, reports, and I believe certifications.  You don't hear the same stories like you do about GG

ACUDANUT

Quote from: myk on December 22, 2014, 09:12:56 PM
I have no doubt he has a wealth of knowledge that has, for better or worse, contributed to the Mopar craze, but IMO delivery and presentation counts for a lot.  If Jesus Christ came to me in the form of someone from the Jersey Shore TV show offering salvation, I would politely decline and ask for a ticket to hell instead...

I can't believe you just said that.

Ghoste

The difference with the Marti reports is that he doesn't keep a secret list, he has all of the official Ford records and everyone knows it.  He doesn't pretend to be the Ford messiah who can only speak to Boss 429 owners.  He gets back to 67 Fairlane owners with 302 two barrels just as quickly.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Ghoste on December 22, 2014, 12:21:18 PM
I disagree, I'm not a GG fan but he didn't set the prices by any means, he just found a way to profit off of blessing them and the sellers and buyers used that as an excuse to add value.  How much value did it add though?  10, 100,000, 0 dollars?

YUP, I agree GG just created a NICHE for himself and it works for him hell Jay Leno even talks about him. 

Its like how we joke on the board, 'who can appraise my car' so they can sell it and say, 'well my appraiser said its worth such and such, etc....' to sell it high.

arrow

During the GG blowout on Moparts , someone on there accused him of selling a tip from a west coast collector on a Hemi Cuda he paid him to check out . story was he sold the tip to another collector for 25K, the poster challenged him to post a denial -  as far as I know he never did . I always wondered what the truth is on that one. My dealings with him over the years have always been positive.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on December 23, 2014, 08:51:42 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on December 22, 2014, 12:21:18 PM
I disagree, I'm not a GG fan but he didn't set the prices by any means, he just found a way to profit off of blessing them and the sellers and buyers used that as an excuse to add value.  How much value did it add though?  10, 100,000, 0 dollars?

YUP, I agree GG just created a NICHE for himself and it works for him hell Jay Leno even talks about him.  

Its like how we joke on the board, 'who can appraise my car' so they can sell it and say, 'well my appraiser said its worth such and such, etc....' to sell it high.

Let me help you.
Its like, how we joke on this forum.  "Who can appraise my car and say, well my appraiser said its worth such and such"  Sell it high.
[/quote
]

odcics2

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 22, 2014, 10:51:07 PM
Quote from: myk on December 22, 2014, 09:12:56 PM

I can't believe you just said that.

Why?   :shruggy:

ACUDANUT

To bring the lords name up in vain, if at all in this thread.. That's why or how I read it.

odcics2

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 24, 2014, 12:52:11 PM
To bring the lords name up in vain, if at all in this thread.. That's why or how I read it.

I guess it's myk's choice to think as he wants about beliefs.  If he doesn't believe in it, well then, he's not taking anyone's name in vain.    :Twocents:

Back to the topic ??  

500Jon

Are we talking about GG or Govair the Chevy guy?

Either way, its not that important now.
Back in the 80's when some of us had money to spend and had no real Mopar knowledge, he was important to us!
Now there are reams of internet info for the newbies to read.
Plenty of Folks to lend a helping hand over the www to assist us in our purchases.
Most high-dollar cars have been bought and sold now and have creditable paper-trails.

The ordinary 'man in the street' Mopar guy just wants good value for his/her money.
They don't need guidance from a Guru, just some basic knowledge of year and model values.
Most Folks know the difference between a rotter and a resto and there are no realistic guidelines.
You either like it or you don't, its either affordable or its NOT!

Values go up and down, tastes go in and out, new Chargers/Challengers are cheap and reliable, things change in time.

A famous Moparman said to me a while back, "if you haven't made your money outta Mopars yet, you missed the boat"!

That's why GG isn't needed anymore! :shruggy:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

Chad L. Magee

I remember the moparts thread with GG and how it went downhill very fast.  That one was a train wreck from the start and I wanted no part in that collision of events.  At the time, I felt that it would probably become locked and deleted, so I copied/pasted about 17 pages of it into a word file on my desktop for later reading.  (I still have it buried in one of my thumbnail drives somewhere.)  There were about four more pages that I missed before it disappeared off of that site.  I do remember the "clean the toilet" comment by GG that gets referenced occasionally on that site...
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

AKcharger

Oh you should post that Chad! would make for good reading

:ricky:

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 22, 2014, 04:46:52 PM

There was a fellow in the lab where I used to work that was the only guy in the facility without a sheepskin....every time I visited him the PHD's would come to him for advice. Point being, experience is often more valuable than education.

There are those whose life experiences are worth more than a traditional "degreed" education.  I call those the "battle-tested" versions as they had to use their cognitive skills to survive in their field of work.  Having a PhD only means that you have been tested on what you know (and your abilities with that information), not necessarily on how you will use it in the future....

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: AKcharger on December 27, 2014, 10:36:53 AM
Oh you should post that Chad! would make for good reading

:ricky:

To be honest, I am a bit nervous with the accusations of legal actions being taken during the arguments on there.  Otherwise I probably would (only if I can find it again in my mess of data files that is)...