News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Crane XR-i or other electronic conversion

Started by 440, December 18, 2014, 08:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Has anyone played around with one of these.  Not sure which path to take of buying a new electronic distributor or converting a points distributor with electronic conversion. The conversions all seem to be hit or miss with failure but bad things have been said about higher end brand name distributors. I think anything can fail and while points let you know when they're failing solid state stuff just dies. I remember about 10 years ago I had an Accel module die in the Burger King drive through.

Pertronics seems to be another popular conversion, but I'm leaning toward crane. The built in rev limiter seems nice but again some say it's crap.

Anyone have any experience with these?

b5blue

Firecore has the best I've installed and adjusted.  :2thumbs:

mhinders

The only thing you need to think about is not to exceed the maximum coil current that your electronic points conversion module can handle. Some modules, like Pertronix generation 2 & 3 have built in current limiting, but some other don't. The lower the coil resistance, the more energy to the spark, but also the more current your module has to handle.
Unless you have a deep knowledge of these things...the best is to buy a kit...the electronic module and the recommended coil to go with it.  :2thumbs:
Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection