News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help selecting '70 drum to disk conversion kit

Started by AKcharger, January 01, 2015, 07:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

- Dmichels see picture below...Disc reservoir???
-JAAK uses 1990-91 Lincoln MarkVII rear rotors. Parts for the conversion are ridiculously cheap (See attachment) I did have to hunt for the bolts a bit but got those from NAPA fro $10. Stand-by till I get this finished and I'll let you know it it's worth it :-)
- Nacho My '70 is a 500, 10 inch drums all around. If I'm not mistaken R/T's came standard with 11 inch drums but Many people opt'd for the discs.

I know, I know if I'd hunt around for the Late model A-body parts I could do it that way and it' would be correct BUT I need a fast and easy way to make the change to discs for safety reasons. I'm gone 3-4 days a week for work so I have limited time to play. I know myself too well, if I start tearing apart the front end I'm not going to stop and the car will be one jacks for months, if not longer. I made a promise to myself that any project from here on out will take no longer than 1 weekend. The car will be done, road worthy and garage cleaned before I go to work.

Dmichels

looks like a disc cyl to me What are you using for a proportioning valve? You HAVE to use one to prevent rear wheel lock up
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

AKcharger

I ordered one of those generic ones with the knob

jaak

Have you installed your parts yet? Please keep us updated.

Jason

AKcharger

Sorry...Working on painting my '72 Ram charger hood...stand-by!

AKcharger

I'll make up a full report on this when complete...right now I'm at a work stoppage for studs, the drum studs are too short and I'm having a heck of a time finding longer ones...who would have known there were so many different knurl sizes/lengths/grips ect!  :brickwall:

Anyway the basic swap out went well.

b5blue

OH Crap.....not covered or even mentioned in instructions?   :flame:  I'm doing Disk o tech soon and keep digging for details missed myself! Same one weekend parameters. Just to get the correct calipers I ended up ordering 6 to get correct R and L ones.   :scratchchin: (I feel your pain!) 

AKcharger

Well, the Stud Swap out is in the instructions but not mentioned anywhere in the advertisements or tech specs before the purchase. certainly an unpleasant surprise especially since the car gets to sit on jacks for the next week voiding the whole idea behind this swap (one day and done) and not running around sourcing all kinds of parts on my own
My very premature feedback is if you want an UBER inexpensive disc swap this is it but it's not as quick and easy as I expected.

stripedelete

Really?  The Local Chrysler dealer or NAPA don't have Mopar wheel studs?

b5blue

Quote from: stripedelete on February 01, 2015, 11:16:21 AM
Really?  The Local Chrysler dealer or NAPA don't have Mopar wheel studs?
They won't be stock Mopar I think.....Non stock applications send you wandering for "like this but different." Even with the Disc O conversion Rick spells out in great detail the less likely to find pin caliper type parts but skims over the exact nailed down slider part numbers/applications. (There are a few variations, you need to know what the parts house is trying to give you.)   
  Of course it's Super Bowl Sunday to boot, hard enough to find stuff on a Sunday anyway! 

AKcharger

:iagree:

Exactly. as soon as I started wandering "off the reservation" using parts from all of the big 3 all bets are off. The entire NAPA catalog came up zero. Summit has .625 and .685 knurled studs, but I need .650. So I'm dead in the water. I wrote to scare bird's tech line...let's see what happens  :popcrn:

jaak

Quote from: AKcharger on February 01, 2015, 01:36:27 PM
:iagree:

Exactly. as soon as I started wandering "off the reservation" using parts from all of the big 3 all bets are off. The entire NAPA catalog came up zero. Summit has .625 and .685 knurled studs, but I need .650. So I'm dead in the water. I wrote to scare bird's tech line...let's see what happens  :popcrn:

Man, that sucks. Something as small as wheel studs (a detail most wouldn't think of), holding you up like that.

Jason

Nacho-RT74

thinking on the Disc-O-Tech deal... and wondering about dust shields... do you know if 10.80" and 11.75" rotors shares same piece? I think the obvious answer is they shouldn't, but I can't see easy to find these shields for big rotors.

AND YES THIS IS KINDA A HIGHJACK... Sorry! LOL
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Dmichels

can you ream the holes in the hub for the larger stud?
68 440 4 speed 4.10

AKcharger

Unless scarebird has some tricks I'll go .625 on the one hub and drill out the other to accept the .685 studs, ordering them today from summit

Dmichels

Why are you going small on the one hub? They are going to be loose
68 440 4 speed 4.10

AKcharger

Not by choice, one was .625 the other .650 not sure what the deal is, maybe they've been that way since the factory, we'll wait, one would have had left hand threads. Well, for whatever reason they're different.  So I'm getting 5ea .625 for one hub and they'll press right in and 5ea. of the .685 and I'll drill out the .650 holes.

Dmichels

68 440 4 speed 4.10

AKcharger

Next weird one... the drivers side rotor is too close and wheel drags (.366 Pax side/.108 drivers side) I'm thinking the hub that had the .625 studs might be to blame...anyway next stopping point.
I made a mistake on this one...

Oh, and those longer studs...their too long had to get new lugnuts  :rofl:

AKcharger

Dmichels

What is your overall review on the conversion? The lack of info on the studs sucks, they should have defiantly put that in the directions. (by the way what's the part numbers in case I do this) The funny hub was an unknown. Were there any other issues?
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

AKcharger

This would have been a snap had it not been for the weird hub and studs.  In hind sight the lugs don't need to be changed either, I suspect it's a liability thing.
Now I fixed the gap, used a 5/16 wheel spacer between the hub a day rotor...worked fine . The NEXT issue was on test drive I had an awful wobble. What happened is the .685 studs had a fat, none threaded area at the base that was fatter than the hole in the rotor. Well when the wheel was torqued down some studs held, some pushed through and cocked the wheel ..hence the wobble.
Waiting for some donated hubs from B5blue,  that should close this out.

b5blue

I'm hoping final parts make it here this week so I can use the 3 day weekend to do swap and get alignment over by Monday PM. (That would free up the parts you want.)  :2thumbs:

AKcharger

Dmichels

Any updates?
You said the lugs did not need to be changed? Lugs or studs?
I have been thinking about this kit for a while.
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10