News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help selecting '70 drum to disk conversion kit

Started by AKcharger, January 01, 2015, 07:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

I've done a search on front drum to disc conversions and now I'm even more confused...seems people who do the conversion immediately  run into problems! To make maters worse, there doesn't seem to be any "safe" sources, every kit is bad. Now granted many posters are old so maybe the company's got better, that's why I need help.

So my priorities are in order
1) complete, bolt-up kit that will let me keep my 14 inch road wheels, no sourcing multiple parts on my own
2) reliable and safe
3) cost
4) originality

Sources I was considering are:
- Captian jack on eBay - complete kits, great price but not sure of quality/performance
- one of the kits (manufacturer unknown) from classic auto or year one
- SSBC - but I've hear a LOT of bad about these kits
- do an a-body conversion - would be fine if I could find a source that has all the parts, I don't want to be huntin' around for bits and pieces

Guys??

twodko

I've bought 2 disk brake conversion kits from Master Power Brake.

The first kit was for a 69 Chevelle, the second one was for my

69 Charger I just had installed a few months ago.

These kits are outstanding in quality, price and are "no surprises bolt on".

$1100 complete and MPB's customer service is excellent.

Of course there are other conversion kit vendors out there

offering far more expensive kits but unless you have deep pockets

they're just not worth the several hundreds more. If you like the

look of a brightly painted caliper you can certainly paint it yourself.

I did mine with red high temp Rustolem and they look great.  :Twocents:

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bill440rt

Quote from: twodko on January 02, 2015, 12:53:47 PM
I've bought 2 disk brake conversion kits from Master Power Brake.

The first kit was for a 69 Chevelle, the second one was for my

69 Charger I just had installed a few months ago.

These kits are outstanding in quality, price and are "no surprises bolt on".

$1100 complete and MPB's customer service is excellent.

Of course there are other conversion kit vendors out there

offering far more expensive kits but unless you have deep pockets

they're just not worth the several hundreds more. If you like the

look of a brightly painted caliper you can certainly paint it yourself.

I did mine with red high temp Rustolem and they look great.  :Twocents:

Excellent "stock"- type brake kit.
Just not sure if they are compatible with  14" wheels.  :scratchchin:
That's going to be the OP's biggest dilemma, finding one that fits 14" wheels.
Might want to look into Dr. Diff's kit as JK has suggested.  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

AKcharger

OK Good info guys, thanks!

So I keep my power drum booster with Dr. Diff? I'll need to talk to those guys, that's the best deal so far. Only draw back is have to change the Spindle...and if I'm going to change out the spindle why not change out the ball joints and if I change out the ball joints why not do the bushings ect. ect.

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: AKcharger on January 02, 2015, 04:59:19 PM

So I keep my power drum booster with Dr. Diff? I'll need to talk to those guys, that's the best deal so far. Only draw back is have to change the Spindle...and if I'm going to change out the spindle why not change out the ball joints and if I change out the ball joints why not do the bushings ect. ect.

I was just going to start my own thread as im pondering the idea of switching my 70 to front disk. Looks like one difference mine is manual drum.

I looked on summit and they appear to have a disk kit for non power assist ?
Never knew that existed.

bill440rt

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on January 06, 2015, 10:34:51 AM

I was just going to start my own thread as im pondering the idea of switching my 70 to front disk. Looks like one difference mine is manual drum.

Never knew that existed.

Check out MP Brakes for their manual disc conversion kit. Nice kit, super easy to install. Performs well.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: bill440rt on January 06, 2015, 03:04:09 PM
Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on January 06, 2015, 10:34:51 AM

Never knew that existed.

Check out MP Brakes for their manual disc conversion kit. Nice kit, super easy to install. Performs well.

Thanks for the heads up Bill.  :cheers:

Dmichels

What about Scarebird? There brackets bolt to the drum brake spindle and lets you use off the shelf rotors and calipers I was thinking about them for myself They seam to get decent reviews. They are not original type
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

AKcharger

scare bird and MP huh? will have to look at that. A pal of mine did his '68 Charger and said he did the '73 Dart spindle swap. I looked at that and it looks cheap till you add rotors, calipers, dust shield hoses, bearings ect. Rapidly turns into same price as the kits plus will it all work together??

gtx6970

I used 1979-80 Volare/aspen stuff on a 1969 charger .( original bendix disc brake car btw )

works like a charm

AKcharger

OK, well I pulled the trigger on Scarebird. Once installed I'll be sure to share my experiences!  :popcrn:

Thanks

John_Kunkel

I wasn't aware that Scarebird had added the econo setup to clear 14's. I've used their stuff before and was very pleased.

AKcharger

yup, talked to them at length and since I've yet to come across any horror stories about their stuff I thought it worth a try. It's a little bit "Frankenstein" but when I bring the car down again in 5 years of so for a full resto I'll replace everything. The drums on now really are a safety hazard

Uses:
Scarebird backing plate on drum spindle ($75)
Lincoln rear rotor
Cavalier caliper
Chevy Hoses
...Everything else stock and untouched supposedly

stripedelete

I'm the Bill's Volare swap.  Very happy. No complaints. 

Before I found the Volare parts I researched the kits with much the same criteria; effective/safe, parts availability and compatibility with 14 inch rims.

MP was it.  Called them.  A body parts, so, if they go away you can still do a brake job.  They have an asterisk on the rim fitment.  The said 14 Inch Magnums may require some machining on the rotor but they will fit.  Give them a call they can explain it.

On the Volare swap; spindle, rotor,  shields, caliper X 2 = $40.(pull-a-part) Used the calipers as cores.  Bought new pads and rotors ( and calipers) cheap.    :Twocents:

AKcharger

Well if I had more parts connections here in Fl I'd go the Volare  route but I'm still "networking" :coolgleamA:

stripedelete

Google pull-a-part.   Great thing about the south, it actually it still comes off with a wrench, regardless of age.

AKcharger

I agree always love junk yards but it's a time vs. money thing...right now not enough time to search.

Nacho-RT74

I think you get here all the info to be on DIY area, including the search

http://www.moparaction.com/tech/archive/disc-main.html

cheap and easier that you can think

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

John_Kunkel

Those parts have become very scarce in most locales.

AKcharger

Got the Scarebird brackets today and placed order for brake parts from Rockauto. So far total cost for bracket and all parts (minus -proportioner valve) $231

Question: I think I have a disk master cylinder already, I have a large rear and small front reservoir for my drums...isn't the drum Master cylinder supposed to have equal sized reservoirs??

Dmichels

I think you are correct the drum brake ones have equal size bores. It is really just for the extra fluid needed for a disc brake set up when they wear down. Most important is the proportioning valve. Do you have a picture of the cylinder?
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

jaak

Quote from: AKcharger on January 16, 2015, 01:28:05 PM
Got the Scarebird brackets today and placed order for brake parts from Rockauto. So far total cost for bracket and all parts (minus -proportioner valve) $231

Question: I think I have a disk master cylinder already, I have a large rear and small front reservoir for my drums...isn't the drum Master cylinder supposed to have equal sized reservoirs??

What rotors do you have to order for the scarebird conversion (what year/make/model)?? You got me thinking about doing this conversion on my 68 (I was planning on using the front drums for a while, but considering this).

Jason

Nacho-RT74

Have a question!!! isn't your 70 an R/T ? I thought al R/Ts got front disc! or was still an option?

Once more about conversion, my suggestion is STILL stock parts available around on the cheap LOL.

You can get even slotted and drilled rotors on stock parts list ( Centric... I got mine ).

Rockauto gets you everything stock... but the spindles and caliper brackets ( I guess also dust shield )... get just that and go to regular parts shops for the rest still on Mopar parts service list... rotor, bearings ( inners and outers ), grease seals, grease cap, calipers and relater parts, pads... Honestly will be easier in the future for service, goingt to any local parts shop.

just in case and not highjacking, just in case... does somebody know where to find a caliper bracket ( pin kind ) and dust shield for laters B bodies ? I'm planning upgrade for bigger rotors.

If somebody find those parts on the cheap, just let me know ;) ( drilled and slotted rotors are available for these too, Centric on RockAuto )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Nacho-RT74

oops didn't noticed you already got the adapter bracket AND NON MOPAR RELATED PARTS  :flame:

:icon_smile_tongue: ;D